Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm ready! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #12
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Hi Ronn! I remember you advising me to get Lasic surgery when I asked about contact lenses last year and saying you were going to get it [img]smile.gif[/img] . Well I didn't, but my contacts are great! Anyway, good luck with it! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 07:26 PM   #13
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Good luck with the surgery, and I hope you'll share with us later on how it went [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 11:53 PM   #14
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

I'll add my two cents here, since I've had the experience.

I had the lasik surgury done about 7 years ago--I wasn't even 21 yet. My vision had been pretty poor, for a long time, but I could wear contacts. I have astygmatism in one eye.

Had the surgery done in Dallas by a fairly reputed doctor and it went fine. My vision was pretty good after the eyes healed up, though that took about a month+.

However... My night vision since the operation has been pretty crap and I do see halos to an extent. In the last 2 years my eyes have begun to degenerate again, slowly, to the point where they were pre-op. If I had the money or the inclination I suppose I could get lasered again but I'd like to be able to see SOMETHING at night, so I don't think I will.

There ARE negatives.

Was it worth it? Well, I didn't pay for it (my parental unit did) so maybe that makes it easier to say this, but yes it was.

Even though my eyes are getting worse again and my vision is a bit wonky at night, having had 5 years of unaided vision was great. Seeing the clock in the morning, seeing Uluru, the Eiffel Tower and the Fjords without the worry that my contacts might get screwed up...that stuff was amazing.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:53 AM   #15
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Ronn like you i've had very bad eyesight for the majority of my life, as have my sisters. One of them had the surgery a couple of years ago and everything went well. Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but you should ask about how long is cool to sit at a computer screen, effects of such etc. etc. Especially if you work at one. Anyways good luck man! See you on the other side!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Aelia, I'm glad the contacts worked out for you. I remember getting my first pair, after wearing glasses for a decade, and thinking what a miracle they were. Looking at life without looking at it through rims was pretty breath taking. I'll never forget that feeling.

Wow, Mr. Mopery, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with the procedure. I'm surprised you were able to have it done at such a young age. Usually, doctors are reluctant to perform lasic on young folks(teens to early 20's) because their eyes, like the rest of their bodies, are still changing. In fact, my doctor won't do lasic unless a patient’s prescription hasn't changed in the past year (beyond a very minor fraction anyway). I do realize that my vision will change as I age, but fortunately, my price for this procedure will cover any and all future corrective surgeries. I'm glad my doctor is a young guy. I know you're right though about their being negatives though, but after considering lasic for several years and reviewing the options, I think it's worth the risk for me. I already see slight halos at night. The doctor says it shouldn't get any worse, and may even clear up, but there's always the chance it could get worse.

Moraine, I'm glad things went well for your hubby. They promised to give me something to help me sleep for the first 24 hours or so afterwards, so hopefully, I'll "sleep off" the worst of it.

Guys, one thing I'm really nervous about is not being able to rub my eyes anymore! I have a tendency to really rub them hard now, which I know isn't good, and I'm afraid I'll do it without thinking or while I'm half asleep in the morning. I'm going to need one of those pink, fuzzy sleep masks. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Djinn, no computer at all for me this weekend, and then a severely reduced schedule for awhile. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I can't wait!

One weird thing though. Why is it that the most psychologically intimidating surgeries are performed while a person is awake? First my vasectomy and now eye surgery with nothing more than a couple of milligrams of Valium to relax me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 08-06-2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 08-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #17
GForce

Ronn

One final note. Your doctor probably already told you. Your first year after the surgery is the most crucial. Take care not to rub. Your just going have to excercise willpower not to rub. for me, the i have not the urge to rub. it's been 5 years. if they itch, just use the droplets that your doctor prescribes or just wash it out with cool faucet water and pat dry. don't rub during your first year after lasik. yeah your night vision might be haloed but it will go away. if your eyes get tired. don't rub. wash it with water or use the prescribed droplets.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:16 PM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
One weird thing though. Why is it that the most psychologically intimidating surgeries are performed while a person is awake? First my vasectomy and now eye surgery with nothing more than a couple of milligrams of Valium to relax me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I concur on that. My child was born by a caesarean, and it was definitely NOT my best memory - I was awake, I didn't feel any pain but I DID feel the low part of me being sawed and then something being sucked out. I would go through it again if I had to - it is nothing compared to the joy of having a baby - but I can't say I am looking forward to being there again !

[ 08-06-2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Moiraine ]
Old 08-06-2003, 01:38 PM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm interesting thread. I have very bad eyesight also, not sure if it's as bad as some of the people written about here, but bad enough. I can't read car number plates from more than about 2 metres away. Short sighted + astigmatism in both eyes. I have thought about Lasik, but never really seriously. I don't think it's worth it. I really don't mind wearing glasses, in fact some pairs can make you look better and I also have contacts which I can wear comfortably for as long as 12-14 hours normally and they let me see great. The less surgery you have the better IMO. Besides, I wanna be able to rub my eyes etc. When I go swimming, I can see well enough to dodge people and that's all that matters really anyone agree?

I also find that glasses give me better night vision than some people with perfect eyesight because the lenses "collect" and focus light more intensely than the leses in your eyes so even little light is enough to see by. Anyone else found this?

[ 08-06-2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 08-07-2003, 04:24 AM   #20
daan
Silver Dragon

The only thing I really miss is diving underwater with my eyes open.
I used to be able to see very well under water and did it all the time,... I love being underwater. But now that I have contacts I've lost 2 lenses already, so decided to give up on open eyes underwater, which to me is a very big loss. Without contacts I cant see enough to enjoy myself either under or above water .. and I'm not wearing goggles unless im diving for real with scuba-gear.
Though I doubt I'd risk opening my eyes underwater if I'd have Lasik done either, with all the chlorine 'n stuff. It would be great to just be able to see throughout the night though, definetly when you end up sleeping in a tent.
It's either sleeping with your lenses in ( and all the eye-doctors in my family would beat me to death if they found out I do that ) or removing them and be annoyed when all of the sudden people have the urge to do something unexpected after you removed your lenses.