Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-24-2001, 02:38 PM   #11
Eddith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I ended up taking Nalia instead of Aerie.. she is just too anoying and I have a dedicated cleric and Jaheira as well.. I thought that Nalia would be a good mage and an ok thief.. so far she is a good mage and a crappy thief. She's dual class and I havent been able to focus on her thieving abilities yet so as a thief she's completely useless to me at this point (only on chapter 2).

Anyways that's just my point of view on the Nalia vs. Aerie debate.

Eddith
Old 07-24-2001, 02:41 PM   #12
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Ditch Aerie, she is utterly useless. How can anyone say Nalia is worse than Aerie? At lease Nalia can acheive a descent level as a mage, good ablility scores, and doesn't stutter...

Besides, you are Ranger/Cleric and you have Jaheira.

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Old 07-24-2001, 02:44 PM   #13
oldbittercraig
Elminster

I don't know which of the two is more annoying... Aerie's constant whining about her missing wings versus Nalia's condescending attitude towards the "lower class"... ESPECIALLY the "how are we helping people here" quote. For Bhaal's sake, she started spouting that crap off while I was clearing her freaking castle!

Personally, seeing as Nalia is nothing but Imoen Jr, I'd go with Aerie.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:22 PM   #14
Gavin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think the answer is somewhat dependant on what type of character you play and who you have in your party.

My experience:

I play a human Cavalier, and I absolutely MUST have Korghan in my party, he is my wrecking machine.

Initially, Aerie looked great, with the mage/cleric combo she literally had scads of spells, far more than could be cast in a day. Then the whining started....

First it was the wings thing, which, with the right responses, you can council her through...

Then the romance started. Sleep with her as soon as she asks you, and she is gone in 24 hours.

Then Korghan starts picking on her. Eventually she throws down an ultimatum - either Korghan goes or I do. See you later, you whiner.

The dual class also means she takes longer to get the high level spells, and I believe there are absolute limits on dual classes too, aren't there?

So, initially it looks like Aerie is the better choice, but I was into the magic fire support so I actually ran BOTH in my party for as long as possible.

For one reason or another, you eventually lose Aerie from your party, though, and should plan for it.

Gavin.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:45 PM   #15
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Definitely Aerie. Nalia's "How are we helping the less fortunate trudging around down here." quote got on my freaking nerves. Because I am less fortunate right now and I said so woman! To be Serious Aerie is also a cleric, and Jaheria isn't going to have all the cleric specific spells. (No chant, no draw upon holy might etc. with Jaheria.) Besides Nalia is just another Imoen with higher strength anyway. (You can raise Imoens strenth with a girdle of giant strength if you can spare one, but she's a mage and won't need it anyway.)She's just far more annoying.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:06 PM   #16
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Id say Aerie over Nalia but if your going to have Imoen eventually anyway there is no big rush to get a mage.

------------------
Old 07-24-2001, 04:12 PM   #17
trux

As far as personalities go, I find Nalia far more upsetting than Aerie. Sure, Aerie whines and stutters, but she's been through quite an ordeal. Nalia's personality makes me want to rip my own eyes out so I don't have to read her dialog further. However, Nalia's personality does become much, much better in a certain expansion.

If you already have a PC cleric and Jaheira, I wouldn't worry about including Aerie. If you're only gonna have one magic user, you need someone who can attain a high level and go up levels quickly - this would be Nalia. And as others pointed out, she is more suited for wizardly work in the stats department.

------------------
trux
Old 07-24-2001, 07:08 PM   #18
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Nalia vs Aerie... I´d say Jan !!! At least you will laugh at his comments instead of turning of your speakers

Anyway i think the best option is Edwin, i had him in my good aligned party too. You see, he´s just the best mage around, and he offers to join, so why shouldnt you have a skilled mercenary in your party ?? To fight evil you need the BEST people, so even if edwin is evil if you can control him its ok. just my opinion

------------------
"I wish my Angel was here... I fear nothing with her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 07-25-2001, 06:37 AM   #19
ForgeX
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the help guys!
I have made up my mind and i think i will take Nalia over Aerie just due to the fact that she will attain a higher level in magery(which is what i am after)
Help most appreciated!

------------------
One moment of weakness....
An eternity of pain....
Old 07-25-2001, 06:40 PM   #20
Kitty
Manshoon

You already have two healers in your party, so I'd recommend taking Nalia over Aerie if you can stand her squeaky voice. In my opinion, Aerie is a good character, but she levels up very slowly because she's multiclassed, and her low hit points can be harassing at times as well (have lots of raise dead memorized if you plan on having Aerie in your team).
Don't worry about Nalia's poor thieving abilities; soon you'll get Imoen, who can find and disarm virtually all traps and pick most locks. Imoen's stealth is her weak point, but your PC is a ranger and will be able to cover this.