Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-12-2000, 04:47 PM   #1
G.W.

I was reminded of the Icewind Dale portraits looking at this preview. As you can see (the small icons in the parties) they will look great.
http://www.gamecenter.com/Pc/Previews/Iwd/?st.gc.fd.c

I never completed Icewind because it got a bit repetitive and it was not practical to pick up items for selling because there were just so many. But I thought the portraits in Icewind were really impressive. They have a Gothic and Preraphelite touch and the women are really beautiful (I suspect Carrie Anne Moss was the inspiration--some complained they looked too good). I admit though, the game is a little more depressing to play because of the darkness and sense of isolation you get (especially without the banter). But the BG II portraits are a bit disappointing, they are colorful and cartoonish, and many look worse than BG I (with the exception of Nalia and Viconia, the women look worse than they did in BG I--I had to change Jaheria's back to the BG I portrait or else I couldn't keep her in the party). I'd like to be able to port the Icewind picts but I don't know how. Anyone agree with this assessment?

Old 12-12-2000, 05:54 PM   #2
fitz

Most definitely. Although the models must have been near perfection, the Icewind Dale portraits seem to relect that near-perfect reality in a way suggesting of Pre-Raphaelite art. I think that the superiority of the IWD portraits may most simply be due to their texture. While the BG2 pics are undeniably digital, the IWD pics look like paintings... much more realistic and heroic at the same time.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:26 PM   #3
Suul-Yinn

Yes, I liked them too, especially as you had a full body shot for the large image. And no I am not a perve. However, I preferred Jaheira's new look and definitely Imoen's, as the original looked far too old and didn't suit her voice, which also sucked big-time. I liked the old Minsc better, both Edwins but the new Viconia is more drow like and sexier(OK I am a perve)
On a side note, I wished they had a bigger range of voices like ID too.

Old 12-13-2000, 12:27 AM   #4
Glorick the Half-Orc

IWD, no contest - hot chicks with big hooters. 'Nuff said!

Old 12-13-2000, 12:28 AM   #5
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

IWD for sure! The bg2 portraits are way to limited and repetitive for me.They should have included more that weren't from the original and that weren't already NPC's in the game. The IWD portraits are darker, more artful, more plentiful, and way more sexy that the bg2 ones.
Old 12-13-2000, 07:06 AM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well, i think that the IWD portraits are very good and Thoose of BG2 also, what I like the least is the way you can custimize your modell in BG2, Icewind dale! If I want a slim dude with jetblack hair??? hehe no way hombre..
If you don´t like the portraits you can always download or make your own... But I would like the BG2 team to make more of them! So many of the excisting ones are so to speak already taken with some character in the game!!!! Buuuh! More individual for download at ne never to much updated official site! Hope they read this!
But gain IWD portraits are really good, but it also takes place in a really dark place and it is very cold there so they have to be more gothic and cold.. How would it look to have Aerie in one of thoose portraits running around at Icewind dale??
Old 12-13-2000, 02:43 PM   #7
cleric

I like IWD images

Old 12-13-2000, 07:16 PM   #8
G.W.

Anyway to port the Icewind Dale portraits to BGII? I'd like Imoen to look like that Trinity-like sorceress in black. How about the character sounds?

Old 12-14-2000, 12:06 AM   #9
Migosh

So does anybody actually know how to get the ICW portraits into BG2?. I am assuming there must be a way, I agree there is not nearly enough "new" portraits to choose from in BG2. Most of the selection that are not in the current game are ones from BG1.

Also there is hardly any sound sets to choose from!

Old 12-14-2000, 12:52 AM   #10
Magnus

Icewind is obviously the clear winner in art and sound. Not as much fun to play, but definitely finishable. I can't believe you could quit? I was hooked solid all the way. I know its a dungeon crawl, but hey! Who doesn't enjoy a good crawl now and then? It was great practise for some of the tougher battles in BGII. I also enjoyed creating a full party without sacrificing any game depth. I highly recommend it if you haven't got it. It will give you something to do while waiting for Neverwinter Nights!