Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-30-2000, 06:17 AM   #31
tope58

Hi, I really like BG2 - but since I haven't yet finished it I haven't begun tampering with its innards yet.

I have done Half-Life maps (just maps & new items - no MOD programming) and I wonder if anything similar could be done in BG2?

What I mean is that you for instance create a map area with some items and NPC:s, a couple of quests to solve and so on... Either in some way linked to from the original game (worst case by replacing an original area) or (like in Half-Life) a command switch let you start up in your map instead of the original game. Is anything like this possible?

Old 11-30-2000, 10:48 AM   #32
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

the x does it effect anything if you write dragred in capital letters? Because I am having trouble with my summon dragon spell.
Old 11-30-2000, 01:32 PM   #33
bpm07

hey duders
if I wanna make my own sword or something does it involve hex editing or a much simplified Visual Basic program? Boy, I hope it's the latter!

Old 11-30-2000, 01:58 PM   #34
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

yep its the latter.
Old 11-30-2000, 02:00 PM   #35
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

bpm just use the Item Editor from the TeamBG site, they have great customization tools. Suggest you use an item as a template and start small, so u get used to the editing process. Having shadowkeeper helps so that you can choose a good template.

Later on as you get better at it you can add more effects.

Infinity Explorer is great for checking out an item's characteristics.

BTW baatoryan, character dolls are VERY DIFFICULT to change, as well as individual sprites. Think of how many pixels you'd have to change, you'd still be doing it by this time next year!
Old 11-30-2000, 06:13 PM   #36
fitz

Hey Irenicus,

To strip items from BG2, you have to download the Bifftool (not Biffstripper like BG1 used).

Then you extract Bifftool from the zip file into the 'Data' directory in BG2. There are two Bifftool icons to execute, DOS version and BG2/Infinity version. Run the BG2 icon version and it will create items files (.itm) and spell files (.spl) in your BG2 data directory. You have to request the file type you want to create (therefore you must run it once for .itm and once for .spl).

Then you can open any of these files with the Infinity Editor. The filenames don't give much clue as to the nature of the item... so you will need to make a list or something. I have a partial list of spells and their files if anyone is interested, I can e-mail it to you in EXCEL format.

But, I also hear that you can simply extract an item from Shadowkeeper. Supposedly then you can edit the item with the Infinity Editor without searching through the .itm files like I did. I haven't tried that method yet, though.

Old 11-30-2000, 09:16 PM   #37
The X
Dungeon Master

Yes bub, no bifftool or striper is needed. Just open the shadow keeper and then the items file and just export those that you need into the "override" folder.The same goes for spells.

Open your Infinity Engine Editor and load up those files from the "override" folder to edit.

As easy as A,B,C.
Old 11-30-2000, 10:10 PM   #38
Armisael

Infinity Explorer can also extract any file you want from BG2.

Old 12-15-2000, 04:13 PM   #39
Jon the Hell Caster

I am making harps for Bards right now anyone want?

Old 12-15-2000, 09:24 PM   #40
Azred
Drow Priestess

attn: Jon Irenicus

Exactly which properties of items, spells, etc. are you altering? I had done some item alterations with Icewind Dale (such as the Tommy Gun--a converted light crossbow with 10 attacks per round and needs no ammo). My favorite item from that game was the Jester's Bag of Holding; I am currently thinking of bringing it into BG2 but don't know what I'll put in it yet. My biggest problem was items that have variable abilities, such as a Wand of Fire, and how to put multiple abilities onto an item.

For now, though, I'll just sit back and enjoy my bottomless mug of Berduskan Black Brew (since I am a coffee addict in RL).