Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-05-2001, 08:20 PM   #1
Duneswalker
Dungeon Master

I could never relate well to a thief, I am not prone to use stealth or scouting much. I do realize that in IWD/HOW I do need a thief for traps. I'm mulling over these scenario's, keeping in mind I don't plan any stealth backstabs (I'm a Paladin and I play "honorable" (corny I know, I've been roleplaying an adaptation of this party for 20 years on and off) which would fit my playing style best and still give me my needed thief abilities?

A) Dual a Thief to Fighter as soon as my traps are at 100%
B) Dual a Fighter to thief at L9
C) Multiclass Fighter/Thief
D) Dual Thief to Mage

D seems like the most efficient just because it would help the mages HP

I like the first three because then the thief could be in the first or second slot which means that he could detect before everyone trips over the traps.

Also are items for fighter/thief or mage/thief a big consideration.

I thank you for your opinion.
Duneswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 08:29 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Since you are not too into the scout/backstab, a multi-class fighter/thief should fit to your needs. His primary purpose would be to find and disarm traps for your party.
But if you want more hitpoints and have the time to spare, then I'd pick a fighter then dual him into a thief. But this is a time consuming process.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 08:33 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

As for items, your fighter/thief will need to wear studded leather or leather armor in order to use thiefing skills, you can wear chain mails but I think there are penalties apply when you wear chains. For weapons, stick with bows and long swords (you can also use short sword, but I prefer long swords due to the large number of these swords available in the game).

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 08:53 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If you dual a fighter to a thief do it on an odd level-3,5,7,9 etc. That way you pick up fighters weapon proficiencies and thaco which are far better. I'd suggest after gaining 5th level fighter, dual to thief. The multiclass isnt bad either.
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 06:30 AM   #5
Sir_Tainly

I am quite a long way int othe original game, I have a pure thief. I have found his hide in shadows essential for scouting ahead, so as to not get bounced by loads of monsters. I like to lure out my enemies one at a time and kill them that way.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123
Old 04-06-2001, 08:36 PM   #6
Jasonexus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you don't want to backstab put your thief into sneak attack mode. You need Heart of Winter for this.
Jasonexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 12:05 AM   #7
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

best combo, Is a Thief-Illusionist Gnome if you want to make him honnorable make him a Lawful Neutral thief(in game play it dosen't change anything) but in role playing pnp a lawful Neutral thief is more of a scout than a thief. so just don't assingn any points to pick pockets and you get you self a authentic northen spire gnome/Illusionist advence Scout. Also most paladin's get along with lawful Neutral's
Strahd Von Zarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 04:25 PM   #8
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

thief mages are utility cuz they learn knock and invisibility instead of open locks and stealth. (pick pockets is very good to spean on earliy in the game so you can get cool stuff from the mage and the gnome in town)
fighter tiefs are cool too, but don't dual the ifghter before 7th level cuz he gets an extra 1/2 attack at 7; and you'd speing a lot of traps beore he got a chance to dualclass to a theif.. try a multi class or start as a thief oterwise, you might get caught in some traps (i've completed the game several times without a thief; it's not vital; clerics can spot traps and for the most part, they can be avoided
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 09:24 AM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I'd say it depends on the rest of your group.

If you are playing with only one mage, consider dualling to a mage. I find having a second spellcaster is invaluable, although I haven't come across very many wands (only in ch. 2) like I did in BG and BG2.

You obviously have a Paladin in your group, but if you have no additional fighter support, definitely dual to or from a fighter.

With my current group (Fighter, Ranger, Bard, Mage, Druid, Thief) I find myself needing another fighter. The Bard works well very as Mage support. And the thief does well scouting ahead, but I tend to use the Ranger more as a fighter.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote