Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you ever change the difficulty levels mid game?
No. I never ever change the difficulty level, Its cheating 25 58.14%
Errrrmmm yes .... sometimes * cough* 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2004, 09:46 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

While gaming have you ever just given up on a too hard Boss/Dragon/bad ass character and reduced the games difficulty level just to win?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

ermm...yeah I do and I am ashamed of it [img]tongue.gif[/img] there is one game I have given up on and gave it to my husband, called ghost recon, it is way to hard but some how he is almost done with it [img]redface.gif[/img]

[ 06-24-2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

I do and I'm not ashamed of it.
The way I see it, is I paid for the damn game and if I can't play any further then I fell kind of cheated out of my money... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
It's not black and white... I, personally, don't change difficulty levels... but I do see it as a valid option. But perhaps it's partly because the only game I really play that has difficulty levels is BG2, and that's constantly at Insane... and it's there for a reason.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I leave every game on normal difficulty and keep it there throughout. If I change it I feel like I've cheated and once I have that feeling, I can't continue. It's the same with mods and tweaks - I feel like by adding those, I'm bringing in elements that the original developers wouldn't have known about or wanted, so I don't use them either. I like to play games the standard way - completely unchanged from default settings.
Arledrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:34 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm the same as Alex; my games are always at the default difficulty and stay there. Frankly if I can't win at that level, I'm too crap to deserve to play on

I have to admit that I always play Civilisation at chieftan [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] . I don't play to have a challenge, I just like finding good places to put my cities and then building every wonder before any other civilisation can [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 06:03 AM   #7
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Hehehe yeps I change the level difficulty, when I'm not in the mood to think....yes I'm a loser [img]tongue.gif[/img]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

Errm, slight nitpick with the poll... I tend to put the difficulty level UP during games. The final question suggested that DOWN was the only way to adjust it.

I usually play the game through once on normal difficulty (sometimes going up if it's ridiculously easy) and then play a different way (style, character, etc) the second time through on the same difficulty. Sometimes it's easier because I know what's coming and/or I've got a better idea of game tactics. If that's the case, I adjust upward.

If I'm still getting beat up after a few tries, I will take a piece of paper and try to map out strategy. Stubborn - yes. Proud - yes. Obsessive - guilty as charged. Does it work - yep!
Old 06-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I never change mid game if I cant beat something, I just keep going at it till I win! I sometimes play a game through on normal difficulty though, and then once I complete it I start again on insane/hard. Or if I think Im a pro at the game, I just start off on the highest setting.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I play BG 2 for a really long time. I play on the highest difficulty - Insane - and never lower it. What`s the point of doing so?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote