Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 05:04 PM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

Is it just me or was bg1 better in terms of adventuring then
bg2. I mean in bg1 you had several differant maps where completely
random and surprising things happened. While in bg2 you know
where everything is, you know what you are going to face and you
know you've explored everything. In bg1 to travel from one place to another you had to cross 3 or 2 over maps. In bg1 everything was a challenge,
rerember the ankhegs in bg2 they are a walkover but in bg1 they were
your cause of death. When you first entered baldurs gate you really
appriciate how big the game is. There were just so many things to explore,
if bg2 had this too it would be terrific. So many places so many adventures
anyone agree with me? Oh and you could get Tiax in your party!

------------------
Sigmar has only one foe,
and he is Tiax!
Old 06-03-2001, 06:56 PM   #2
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

I dunno, I felt navigating the city of Baldur's Gate was a real pain in the arse, especially with the pitifully slow walking speed. I also felt there was a lot of filler in BG. Many of the maps had nothing in them but more wolves, orcs, ogres, and gnolls to fight. I think that the sense of adventure came from being pathetically weak, and having stronger opponents to fight. There was a greater selection of NPC's, but how many damn thieves do we really need? Heh.

BG2 is much tighter overall. There are many less NPC's to choose from (especially evil ones), but you can only have six at a time anyways. The quests are much more interesting, and laid out better (less fed-ex quests than BG1).
Old 06-03-2001, 08:23 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

BG2 needs some more non-dual classed thief NPCs, it could also use some of the outside maps like in BG1 that filled up the empty space between the cities, and many of them had more than gnolls and ogres, they had small sub-quests, like the man being chased by a bear, Drizzt fighting off a bunch of gnolls, a paladin inviting you to a gibberling hunt, also, in BG1 not every shop had magical items, if anyone has read the 2nd edition AD&D DMG, it clearly states that shops selling magical items of any sort is a big no-no.
Old 06-03-2001, 08:28 PM   #4
arion windrider
Red Wizard of Thay

i think bg1 is good, but i still prefer bg2.. it was faster and more stunning graphics than bg1... hopefully TOB will be a wonderful addon to the game

------------------
Swordmaster to the King of Riva.. ALL HAIL TO BELGARION KING OF RIVA
Old 06-03-2001, 09:14 PM   #5
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Actually, I preferred BG1's interface. It feels so much more 'real' to be travelling to new place on maps (which is what adventuring is all about). BG2 is GOOD for graphics and better quests but if you have to return about 6 to 7 times to the same loust trademeet just finish off ONE quest = how boring can that get?

I think BG1 wins on spell casting effects (the slamming of magic missiles onto armour is SO SO SO cool!) BG2 did NOT have that

Also mages had that "deep rasping" voice that is excellent (known Davaeorn?)

But it loses to monsters = there is nothing like fighting a red dragon!

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:19 PM   #6
Neb

Thats it's weakness, things like a Red Dragon which would make mincemeat out of most adventuring parties in PnP are pushovers in BG2, it also has too much tedious traveling, like Jan's NPC quest, it's f***ing easy but it takes so long because of all of the traveling, and the worst thing is that unless you play a pure thief, thief kit or multiclassed thief you will be going to need him as he is the only non-dual-classed thief NPC in the game, can't wait till ToB, maybe they've made it a bit better.
Old 06-03-2001, 10:22 PM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

even tho i prefer bg2 over bg1, i still miss some stuff. like the guard command: was i the only person that ever used that!? IT WAS GREAT! and also, Kivan and Tiax! the 2 best NPCs ever got left back there north of the Cloudpeaks! that hardly seems fair. Now, even tho bg2 had more interestering enemies, it needed more of them and it needed quite a few more filler areas. i mean, theres only a few areas on the world map, a max of about 15 areas! im not saying that bg's 60 or so was better, but just a few more? like about thirty total areas?
Old 06-03-2001, 10:29 PM   #8
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Spoiler.

When I discovered that I had to travel all the way to Trademeet to do the Limited Wish quest: I got so pissed off since I had just CAME FROM Trademeet after doing Mazzy's quest.

I said F-it and I had a cup of tea instead

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 06-04-2001, 07:02 AM   #9
Neb

BG2 has too much tedious traveling, in many quests you travel through 8 areas, and in 7 of them you just have to say to sentences to a character.
Old 06-04-2001, 07:27 AM   #10
Jezzrian
Dungeon Master

Yeah, BG1 had many more maps. But the FedEx quests were just boring, and no NPC interaction. I think its the random comments and related quests from the NPC's that make BG" the best for me. Also the fact that your characters will actually bump someone out of the way instead of taking the really looooong way around.

On the other hand the BG1 spell effects and areas were so cool.

Jezz