Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Raistlin Majere
Ra

i though id try this with a party thats gone through the game once(thus being in the level-range of 15-17). the discription of the mode said that enemies deal/take a lot more damage, give more exp. etc. etc., but i havent noticed anything yet. true, ive only batteled against normal goblins, but they dont give any exp. and theyve dealt a max of 2 damage. is this normal?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, even though HOF gobbies are a lot tougher (100+ hp's) and have a much better to-hit, they don't yield a lot of experience points to advanced parties. That's because of the sliding experience scale in 3rd edition. Eventually, you'll be up against opponents who do give points, so stick with it.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Bloodtitan
Dungeon Master

almost for sure, you only set the difficulty only to insane and forgot to activate HoF. there is a tickmark for this.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #4
Raistlin Majere
Ra

nope, i ticked the heart of fury mode from the configuration thing. i guess ill just have to wait for more challenging opponents...

Old 08-03-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ZERO xp for the goblins???? Something sounds wrong. They do not give a LOT of xp with a 17th level party, but you should be getting SOME xp.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Actually, if they're using the straight tables, that's correct.

As I recall, a HOF gobbie is worth about 3500 xp to a 1st level party, which makes it about CR 7. CR 7 stops giving points at level 15.

They may have upped that a little in IWD2, but not by much.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:13 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

If you dislike the sliding xp scale, then alter the .2da file. Even if my party members are all 20th level, if we defeat a HoF goblin we want our 3500 xp. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:51 AM   #8
Bloodtitan
Dungeon Master

my last game, not so long ago, was a HoF. members of my party were lvl 15-17 too. but i never got 0 xp for any opponent. not sure if i used the tweak table. i did use weimer's undead targos though.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:41 AM   #9
Raistlin Majere
Ra

hmm...weird. i havent gotten 1 point of exp yet(from an enemy), and ive killed phaen of the rags(or whatever) and the iron collar dudes. im beginning to think something is wrong...

Old 08-05-2003, 08:25 AM   #10
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I went back and double checked - Nightowl is right. You do NOT get any xp for the gobbo's with a 17th level party. I reloaded my start up game and all the gobbo's give you is some piddling treasure, NO xp at all. Bad memory on my part.

I'm not sure about Phaen's CR rating but I suspect the same thing is happening there too.

In fact, I do know that a LOT of the monsters will yield NO xp at all throughout the game, even in HoF mode. The BEST XP hauls will come when you get to the ice palace and face those Crystal Golems again. BIG xp for those guys.

In the IWD2 version of HOF, those gobbos are really no match for a 17th level party of 6. They are just too easy. Hence no xp.

Sorry for any confusion, Raistlin, but I suspect that your game is working fine and you're just running into the "WTF, no XP for killing 120 gobbo's?????" syndrome. The CR system for xp takes some getting used.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote