Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2003, 06:24 PM   #1
Irie word of Jah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi, I just purcahased IW2 and I was curious as to what the best party of three would be? I finished Icewind dale but the new rules are making me unsure of what a decent party would be. I dont wanna miss out on any good skills that would be kickass at higher levels. any ideas would be great!!! Thanx!!
Old 07-25-2003, 03:21 AM   #2
Bloodtitan
Dungeon Master

welcome to the boards.
are you sure your first party should be three chars only ? this has to be a lot of micromanagement then and you need very very powerful chars. you cannot escape the min/max stats meaning your party will have some stats = 3, some = 20.
i assure you a party of 4 is difficult enough and i do not think you can beat the game with 3. this will be too much multiclassing. in 3E there are new things like features and you will miss some vital if you create 3 jackofallmasterofnone chars.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:40 AM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Welcome to IWF [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

I agree with Bloodtitan. Have a party of 4 or 5.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

But if you really want a party of three, I suggest Fighter + Cleric + Wizard.

The Fighter could be substituted with a Paladin or possibly a Fighter/Paladin-multiclass for a bit of extra Divine spellpower. For a pure Fighter I suggest a Dwarf or Half-Orc, for Paladin or Fighter/Paladin an Aasimar is best. Also, take only four levels of Fighter for that combo, so you can get the Weapon Specialization. After that, Fighter-levels are practically useless.

For a Cleric, a Morninglord of Lathander or a Stormwhatsit of Talos are quite good in such a small party because they get more offensive spells than other types of Cleric. Otherwise, go with a Painbearer of Ilmater (for extra defensive spells) or a Silverstar of Selune (extra summoning spells). Again, Aasimar is good becuse of their bonus to Wisdom, but really any race will make acceptable Clerics.

For the last one, an Arcane caster, I choose Wizard over Sorceror because while the latter packs more firepower, the former is more versatile, and I have this feeling that versatility could be of great use in such a small party. Plus, Wizards get tons of Skill Points because of their high Intelligence, so you could easily spend some of those on skills like Disable Device (for disarming traps) and other Rogue-like skills, making a real Rogue obsolete.

Of course, this is my take on the matter, and others might make different choices for different reasons.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
Irie word of Jah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanx alot, i'll try that. I was thinking monk, cleric/mage, thief. Would that work?
Old 07-25-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodtitan:
welcome to the boards.
are you sure your first party should be three chars only ? this has to be a lot of micromanagement then and you need very very powerful chars. you cannot escape the min/max stats meaning your party will have some stats = 3, some = 20.
i assure you a party of 4 is difficult enough and i do not think you can beat the game with 3. this will be too much multiclassing. in 3E there are new things like features and you will miss some vital if you create 3 jackofallmasterofnone chars.
I completd the game with only 2 characters, and I certainly didn't have to min/max.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:08 PM   #7
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If you do a monk, put everything you can on wisdom so you will get a good AC---you will need it.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Reeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Irie word of Jah:
Thanx alot, i'll try that. I was thinking monk, cleric/mage, thief. Would that work?
Yea, pretty much any combination can work, with the right tactics. I scetched the party that would IMO be the easiest to play, but anything goes. Though note that with a Cleric/Mage-multiclass you would lose out on the 9th level spells for both classes, and probably the 8th as well. Assuming you level him up 50-50 of course.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 02:30 AM   #9
Bloodtitan
Dungeon Master

Luvian,
do you consider finish as normal mode done or did you play HoF too ?
Old 07-27-2003, 04:22 AM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I assume that he has done it in normal mode becuase in HoF well... it hink it is to hard.
But if he has done it then kudos to him.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote