Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-21-2001, 09:56 PM   #1
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

Can you imagine working at the following company? It has a
little over 500 employees with the following statistics:

* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse
* 7 have been arrested for fraud
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks
*117 have bankrupted at least two businesses
* 3 have been arrested for assault
* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
* 14 have been arrested on drug related charges
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting
* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits
* In 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving

Can you guess which organization this is? Give up?

It's the 535 members of your United States Congress. The
same group that perpetually cranks out hundreds upon
hundreds of new laws designed to keep the rest of us in line.

------------------
Old 08-21-2001, 09:59 PM   #2
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well then again, their politicians and its pretty much their duty to be as hypocryitcal as possible.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:00 PM   #3
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
well then again, their politicians and its pretty much their duty to be as hypocryitcal as possible.

You got it, but scary ain't it.

------------------
Old 08-21-2001, 10:03 PM   #4
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yes, quite frightening to think that these fools are deciding what we can and cant do at any and all times... oh well, if people would VOTE for a better candidate then maybe the laws might not suck so badly (or at least, the new ones... the old ones will suck no matter what)

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:08 PM   #5
trux

Rowdy group, those congressmen.

Not sure voting is the problem. After all, who's to say the other candidates that could have been voted in would have been any more law-abiding?

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-21-2001, 10:14 PM   #6
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Two problems...the prestige of the office leads to a lot of the current problems that these congressmen/women face. They figure they are above the law and therefore are a bit loose in their ways.

The second problem is, that when you get people like this making the laws, they are going to make them 'easy' so that when they themselves get caught and have to face the music, the punishment is not all that bad. This is the exact reason (studies have shown) why drunk driving laws are as lenient as they are. I think the normal person would like nothing more than to send drunk drivers to jail for a very, very, long time, but with so many congressmen/women on both the national and state level being convicted of drunk driving they will never change the law!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-21-2001, 11:14 PM   #7
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

Another problem ....... potential honest canidates are worried about being labeled as a dishonest politition.
Also pollititions all have money and money corrupts.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:35 PM   #8
G'kar

The law-abiding citizen, endangered species #1. Speeders,pot-smokers,underage drinkers, hell some states ban all the fun sex acts. It makes perfect sense for the congress to have all those transgressions under their money-lined belts. Its the culture we live in.

Old 08-22-2001, 08:03 AM   #9
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Congress and the Senate are immune to most of the laws they pass. That is written into the laws. Such as the Property Seizure laws. If they are caught selling drugs from their homes they can not have their prperty siezed. They are exempt. So what does it matter what they pass as far as they are concerned.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 08-22-2001, 08:23 AM   #10
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Well this goes for all the haves verses the have-nots. Look at Robert Downey Jr. isn't he WAY past the three strikes law (as far as drugs go)? What about O.J.? If you believe he killed those people or not he's still rich enough to be playing golf and not out working the drive-threw at Mc Donalds. Normal people just don't get the same breaks as 'celebs'.

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."