Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-24-2001, 07:58 AM   #1
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Hullo thought some of you might like to see this review. It seems to be fairly honest and gives the game a good rating though it does seem to have some problems. I know Z said there was a moritorium on the reviews. Has that passed already? Anyway here is the site.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...806286,00.html
I figure I will buy it eventually.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:02 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

All good games comes with a flaw.. More a law then a coincidence lately..

Thansk for the link mate! Will read it real good. Have anticiated this game for quite some time now...

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 08-24-2001, 08:06 AM   #3
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Sounds nice, but I have a long list of other computer games to buy: TotSC, BGII, ToB and DSotSC being foremost. Still, thanks for the site, Ill check the game out when I have time and money.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:20 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
As have I Wolfgir...I never played the origional SSI games but friends have told me about them. I have purchased the Silver edition SSI AD&D games CD set but the games look like hell...lol. OK so I guess I did install them and tried to play Eye of the Beholder. The graphics reminded me of the old, old, old game consoles like the Atari 2600. I am shallow enough to want at least good graphics.

Hehe, well I like good graphics too, but I like the Fallout world so I can live with simple 2D graphics as long as the game is interesting. This review gave me some well thoughts.. Sounds like the well awaited games lately aren´t up to what we expected from them. read an artcle of POR, check the POR dorum, and that didn´t seem to well made. Hopefully the end game will have some fixes to the flaws adressed their, but still. Seemed that the hype is big now. Are there seriously any games in the near future that cn challenge the Bioware and Black Isle games?? (NWN can but same developers!) I hoped for Torn, but that game is now put on an iceblock so big Antarctis feels small in comparison...

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 08-24-2001, 09:46 AM   #5
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I read that article
Gamespot is the first site I hit when I get on the net..
I really don't like the idea of an imbalance towards fighters. I was hoping Arcanum would play more like Planescape Torment and Fallout 2, because the setting and the progression system sounds great. I've been wanting to play a peaceful character that doesnt have to kill and maim and destroy just to gain experience for almost forever..

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 08-26-2001, 02:14 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hmm... yes... it is the stroy that counts... It should be about finding something about something or someone and not just killing... so i am to dispose of Diablo II? I am not sure...

------------------

Heya! It's me, Imoen!
Old 08-26-2001, 08:34 PM   #7
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

The article did make the point that the combat seems to be centered, in part, on what kind of character you are playing. They did say you could possibly pass through the entire game with only a few combats. Which I would find just as much fun as alot of combat. There is also a release saying that a patch has been announced.

------------------

Old 08-27-2001, 04:18 PM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

This article leaves you a bit confused as to whether you should buy it or not, I tried the demo, and combat did not seem badly made to me, also, the graphics are NOT bad, at least not in the demo, at a 1024x768 resolution and with a Geforce 2 MX, and also, all games have bugs(Except for Blizzard games), Arcanum will probably be nice and bug-free by the 2nd or 3rd patch.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:42 PM   #9
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

That's exactly how I felt about the review...they rated it good. An average of 7's for the whole game. I do plan on buying it. I have always enjoyed the Fallout games and the graphics run just fine on my Compaq POS with the crummy intell 810e graphics card built in. If there are bugs I am sure they will be addressed in the upcoming patch. The idea of the dynamic plot depending on your character and style of play seems great to me.

------------------

Old 08-27-2001, 08:11 PM   #10
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

This is also on Gamespot...
__________________________________________________ __

Troika Games has announced that it will release a patch for Sierra's upcoming
role-playing game Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura shortly after the game is released later this week. The patch will add a number of features
and options that weren't included in the retail version of the game. Some of
the improvements include a full-screen mode, so players can toggle the interface on and off with a hot key; an inventory right-click feature to streamline buying, selling, stealing, and using items; better follower lock-picking abilities; and better weapon and armor feedback for followers. In addition, the
patch will improve graphics performance on video cards with large caches.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Ok...so now I know I will buy it. The player feedback gives the game an 8.0 rating.

------------------