Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I just finished D2. I had a Paladin I got all the way to the second waypoint in hell, then I got bored and just quit! It's been sitting there like that for years. I keep all my saved games when I switch PC's, so it's just been there waiting for me. I think part of the problem is that the game doesn't let you save at the real point in the game. It just saves your character and quests, so I had to constantly redo levels. This guy finished the game at level 32.

The best items I wound up with are a sheild, helmet, and war scepter. I saved gems up from the beginning of the game. I never sold them and I always used the gem shrines to upgrade and the horadric cube to help. I eventually wound up with three perfect diamonds and two perfect skulls! I put the diamonds in a tower sheild and the skulls in a crown as I got them. WOW! I'm glad I had the patience to wait! Those are awesome! The sheild and prismatic amulet together make you quite invincible. I must have gone through hell dozens of times going to the boss critters trying to get good rare items. I got a couple of peaches, but the last one I got was killer! A rare war scepter. The ability powers sucked (+2 concentration), but it had one ability that makes all the difference, (fastest attack)! I used this in conjunction with zeal and was wading through baddies like a hot knife through butter! You have to repair your weapon often doing this, but it worked like a charm. I had a high damage great sword I thought was great, but this one beats it hands down. With freeze aura, Diablo didn't have a prayer.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I just finished D2. I had a Paladin I got all the way to the second waypoint in hell, then I got bored and just quit! It's been sitting there like that for years. I keep all my saved games when I switch PC's, so it's just been there waiting for me. I think part of the problem is that the game doesn't let you save at the real point in the game. It just saves your character and quests, so I had to constantly redo levels. This guy finished the game at level 32.

The best items I wound up with are a sheild, helmet, and war scepter. I saved gems up from the beginning of the game. I never sold them and I always used the gem shrines to upgrade and the horadric cube to help. I eventually wound up with three perfect diamonds and two perfect skulls! I put the diamonds in a tower sheild and the skulls in a crown as I got them. WOW! I'm glad I had the patience to wait! Those are awesome! The sheild and prismatic amulet together make you quite invincible. I must have gone through hell dozens of times going to the boss critters trying to get good rare items. I got a couple of peaches, but the last one I got was killer! A rare war scepter. The ability powers sucked (+2 concentration), but it had one ability that makes all the difference, (fastest attack)! I used this in conjunction with zeal and was wading through baddies like a hot knife through butter! You have to repair your weapon often doing this, but it worked like a charm. I had a high damage great sword I thought was great, but this one beats it hands down. With freeze aura, Diablo didn't have a prayer.
Hum... as far as I remember, in single player game they do save your position in the game, and don't respawn monsters. Did you play it in multiplayer?

Now get the expension. It's worth it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
Shadow015
The Magister

It worked that way in the first game, yes, but D2 just respawns everything. It gets annoying at times.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I find the whole gem setup annoying also. You figure you can remove and reset gems in real life, why not the game?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

Probably so you don't switch out gems based on what you're fighting.

They probably should have let you take gems out, but have to pay based on the item (and gem), like repairs, or else it would be way too expensive at the beginning, and next to nothing at the end.

Maybe if they ever made Diablo 3 or something...
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:10 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LS0158:

They probably should have let you take gems out, but have to pay based on the item (and gem), like repairs, or else it would be way too expensive at the beginning, and next to nothing at the end.

There is a cube recipe to unsocket an item...
Old 08-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow015:
It worked that way in the first game, yes, but D2 just respawns everything. It gets annoying at times.
True, but in single player the dungeons stay the same and you keep your map. So you don't really have to do the dungeons again.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
dplax
Jack Burton

The map only stays the same if you don't play a different character in between. Then it resets itself.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:19 PM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:

There is a cube recipe to unsocket an item... [/QUOTE]Elighten us oh wise sage!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:33 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:

There is a cube recipe to unsocket an item... [/QUOTE]Elighten us oh wise sage! [/QUOTE]1 Hel Rune + Scroll of Town Portal + Any Socketed Item = Unsocket that item
Warning: This will destroy any gems, runes, or jewels you have socketed. This is useful if you are not happy with the gems you have socketed and you want to socket the item in another way.

That's from http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml