Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default WotC FIFTH edition D&D

That's right, WotC / Hasbro are set to redo the system AGAIN:

http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01...?iref=obinsite

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: WotC FIFTH edition D&D

I've yet to play a (video or pnp) 4th edition game.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Shadow Stranger

Not again, swear words fail me. This should not be confused with the Sixth Edition, due to be released in 2019.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I haven't even touched 4th ed yet. I have read some stuff about this imminent release, and some stuff about 4th, but not enough to have an opinion either way. Hope it's successful for 'em, and maybe they can get some more games out for PC/other formats.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Shadow Stranger

Any new game will be in the current edition, so if you don't like 4E you are in a bind.
In previous editions, Baldurs Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights are modded a fair bit...
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Wizards or Hasbro has destroyed D&D..
I will ALWAYS stick with 2nd Ed... and call it AD&D.. damn it!

The whole spell plague also killed novel sales btw--you should see candlekeep (a forum for forgotten Realms). the whole 100 years ahead thing made like 30% of readers just stop buying the new setting books..

I say, make a new series, like the harpers series, and call it 'classic realms' or something, and have the stories back in the 1375 DR era... I do know that Elaine Cunningham is coming back to write a novel, so I may grab that... Its called The Serpent’s Daughter... (Elaith Craulnober's Daughter)

LINK

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: WotC FIFTH edition D&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
I second this.

To me, 3.5e and 4e rules tried to do one thing--turn D&D into GURPS. Any race can be any class and pick up any skill? *shrug* GURPS has been doing that for 20 years with only moderate alterations to the basic rules now and then, which is why it is the best system to use.

I played Neverwinter Nights...but never played past finishing the main city plot. I played Neverwinter Nights 2 and it was enjoyable but essentially linear like Icewind Dale.

For old time's sake, I resurrected SoA/ToB, corrected the spells up to 20th level, and then started replaying it--quite enjoyable and there are things I had actually forgotten about it.

Now...for really old time's sake I resurrected Pool of Radiance on the older laptop, but it still plays too quickly to see some things. In many ways, that game is harder than IWD2 in HoF mode.

Back on topic...this move is designed only for one thing--to sell more books by declaring all previous books and systems invalid. Also, the whole Spellplague thing (I don't really know what that is, anyway) and moving the Realms forward 100 years was so that the old storylines could be retired and those character owners won't get any royalties any more. It's all about the platinum pieces, baby.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
Wizards or Hasbro has destroyed D&D..

The whole spell plague also killed novel sales btw--you should see candlekeep (a forum for forgotten Realms). the whole 100 years ahead thing made like 30% of readers just stop buying the new setting books..

I say, make a new series, like the harpers series, and call it 'classic realms' or something, and have the stories back in the 1375 DR era... I do know that Elaine Cunningham is coming back to write a novel, so I may grab that... Its called The Serpent’s Daughter... (Elaith Craulnober's Daughter)

LINK

Ziroc, this post of yours speaks my thoughts exactly. I am interested that Cunningham is coming back, though...I had not been following any of their novel news since the day they killed what I loved.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

The public playtest has gone live. Few notables: No skills, feats or powers yet. Spellcasting is back to the pre-4th edition style except now cantrips are availiable at-will. Monsters are old-school and simple. I'm looking forward to playing through it soon and very excited I have , if only the illusion of, the ability to give input to creation of the final product.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The one thing I hated I have always hated about the D&D/AD&D spell system is the memorization thing. I know its a "leveling the classes" thing. But to say a magic user "forgets" how to use a level one spell unless he/she rereads it always struck me as ridiculous. I did my magic missile and forget how to throw another so I'll throw these darts. Really? Clerics same thing. Your God grants you a spell but hey if you want to change cure light wounds to bless you can't because you did not "pray" for that one. I did an experiment (20 years ago yea yea) where you could pick spells to cast on your spell list. It worked out fine. Maybe after 2.0 this issue was addressed on that, I haven't played since the 90's. Also darts doing 1-3 damage. Maybe the now banned lawn dart but unless you roll a 20 for an eye hit no ■■■■■■■ way a dart does more than 1 damage. That being said I wish y'all were in CO to get a game going.