Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #11
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Thanks for a serious answer and not laughing like the poster above you.
Well I'm not so sure that was necessary. Funnily enough I was actually trying to be helpful. Sorry that my advice was not "serious" enough for your liking. In the future I will be sure not to make my posts light hearted when responding to your question. If I respond at all.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #12
Sigmar
Unicorn

*engages Governer Arnold voice*
One must not laugh while communicating, it is inefficient, and counterproductive to the purpose of a conversation.
*disengages Governer Arnold Voice*

I know a couple of folk with ADHD, they live "normal" lives, whatever that means. Basically in my (admittedly limited) experience don't patronise them, they're normal folk like you and me with an unfortunate condition.

[ 11-01-2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 11-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #13
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

LOL Sigmar... I am one of the people diagnosed with ADD (NOT ADHD) myself. If you quickly take a look you will find I said as much in my first post. If I'm having a go at anyone, it'd have to be myself
Old 11-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
Sigmar
Unicorn

Wasn't referring to you, I was talking about krunchyfrog and his anti-laughing comment
Old 11-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #15
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Wasn't referring to you, I was talking about krunchyfrog and his anti-laughing comment
[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] Boy, do I feel sheepish. Just a case of me turning something into being all about Dave. Sorry Sigmar... Heh, my bad. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #16
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

The post was great Dave, until the "Look at the Squirrel" comment, which could easily be taken as an insult to someone struggling with this disorder.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:08 AM   #17
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
which could easily be taken as an insult to someone struggling with this disorder.
Yeah, well, don't take it that way then.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:50 AM   #18
Aerich
Lord Ao

Dave was just showing a little episode of his past experience (whether strictly true or embellished to prove a point, it doesn't matter) with ADD, not insulting anyone with the disorder.

Anyway, 'nuff said, let's just drop it and get back on topic.

Aelia's post on it had lots of good info and good suggestions. I know a few people that have either ADD or ADHD, and the one thing I've noted is that all their experiences with the disorder are different; yes, there are similarities in, for example, symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, but the degree to which that is apparent is quite variable. Further, drugs such as Ritalin help some more than others, and the side effects can be rather frightening. One child of my acquaintance was put on Ritalin and had some fairly serious behavioral changes as a result of it; they took him off it, and his personality reverted back to normal.

All that is a long-winded way of saying you don't know what will work until various types of treatment are attempted. For some, nothing seems to work, and yet the disorder is relatively easily treated in others with a combination of drugs, behavioral therapy, and above all, understanding and discipline.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:04 AM   #19
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hmm, my best friend has ADHD and he takes medication for it. Amazingly enough he was one of the 10 kids wearing white at both my junior high and high school graduation (as in, he was one of the top 10 students)

The medications seems to agree with him and he's not anti social at all. The only things you don't want to give him are laser pointers and coffee (remembers a certain snowboarding trip with him in the back seat babbling about palm trees after he had drunk a large cup of coffee...)
Old 11-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #20
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

add can be controlled by environment. i don't know a whole lot about it but mine gets worse the more tv i watch. so tv is a trigger for me.