Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-29-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:

Lennon why is the second way the right way?
Just becasue you use it doesnt make it the right way.
I was wondering this too. I mean they both get the job done, and the 'common' way is alot simpler, so I'd say theres less chance of error. [/QUOTE]The common way is normal HTML the other one is CSS. CSS is the new way to do things and if you use it correctly I think it'll decrease the code in your website a lot.

But still normal HTML is just as w3c as CSS and on a forum it doesn't matter much as you won't write a lot of these declarations in one 'file' (like you'd do when you write a page)
Old 10-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Font is not valid (X)HTML Strict. The right way has CSS, but it isn't how you'd use it idealy, because it kindof defies the point of CSS. Also, the "" ARE needed. Some browsers, especially older ones, won't interpret it properly without them.
And the point of CSS is not only to decrease the amount of code in a webpage, it also makes it easier to update, and can give more flexibility. Especially with alternate stylesheets (which, currently, every graphical browser except IE supports).
Old 10-30-2004, 04:59 AM   #13
wellard
Dracolisk

on topic question.

Where can you find a list of colour codes? just typing blue or green in does work but I think there are millions of shades out there.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-30-2004, 05:33 AM   #14
LennonCook
Jack Burton

You can create them, easily. There are three colours (red, green, blue) that mix to give different shades. The colour codes just represent these: two digits for each colour, in the order RRGGBB . Values are in hexadecimal (meaning digits 0, 1, 2 ... F). Always put a # before the code, and always put it in quotes (some browsers will display it properly without these two things, but many will choke - some older ones may even crash).
Alternatively, if you like the words (which have been part of the standards for a while now), Google for them. Keep in mind, though, that no list will be complete, and some browsers associate the names with different colours (no, I don't know specifically which, or why).
Old 10-30-2004, 05:44 AM   #15
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I don't know either and the about explanation doesn't help. I need it really simlpe, thanks.
How about selecting "quote" on my post here, and when you see my text, you'll see my font tags.

I like to learn by example instead of instruction.

Just ignore the "quote" tags, and the "QB" tags...that make my quote bold.
Just look at the font and close font tags.
[/QUOTE]I see the but I don't know where to select the colour. Is it in the forum or in my Firefox menus?

[ 10-30-2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 10-30-2004, 05:47 AM   #16
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Wow, I copy and pasted the font colour=skyblue and everything after it turned blue!

AAhh! what I pasted won't show! It just does the colour change. I'll change the spelling and symbols to see if it shows.

[ 10-30-2004, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 10-30-2004, 07:07 AM   #17
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

After your post, make sure you close the tag using either < /span> or < /font> depending on which method you used. (Without the spaces obviously)
Old 10-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Wow, I copy and pasted the font colour=skyblue and everything after it turned blue!

AAhh! what I pasted won't show! It just does the colour change. I'll change the spelling and symbols to see if it shows.
I closed the font tag for you.

By the way...here is at least one site that offers font color suggestions.

They are non-dithering colors, so they are the safest to use.

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/no...ng_colors.html

[ 10-30-2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 10-30-2004, 10:02 AM   #19
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:

I closed the font tag for you. [/QUOTE]Uh thanks, even though I have no idea what that means. Is it like leaving your fly open?
Old 10-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #20
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Uh thanks, even though I have no idea what that means. Is it like leaving your fly open?
Yep. You made a font color = skyblue tag, enclosed withing theproper signs, but you did not tell it when to stop making color. To do that, you have to make another tag, and put a / sign in it. Just look at examples, like this very post, by selecting to quote me, and see where I end my font.

By the way, look at my previous post for color suggestions, as I have edited it to include a URL.

[ 10-30-2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]