Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-12-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

Obnoxious Sales Clerks
I walked into an electronics store awhile back to buy a couple of ink cartridges for my printer. I won't name names but . . . this particular outlet is part of a large chain of electronics stores.

The woman behind the counter, a really obnoxious character, asked for my name and phone number. I handed her my credit card and told her my phone number was unlisted. She took the card and gave me a disapproving look. Then she asked if I had the manual to the printer.

"No, why do you ask?"

"So you'll know how to install the cartridges," she replied.

"I know how to install the cartridges. It's pretty simple."

"Always save your manuals," she said.

"I don't live in a warehouse. Besides, if I'm not smart enough to pop a couple of ink cartridges into a Lexmark ink jet printer, then I'd better be put in an institution."

"You'll learn to save your manuals," she sniffed as she handed me my receipt. She gave me an icy stare as she handed me my merchandise.

Where do they find these people? I didn't ask her how to install those cartridges. I just handed her my credit card. My only expectation was that she'd charge my card for the sale, put the merchandise in a plastic bag and send me on my way with a smile and a polite "thanks" for doing business with her. Besides, anyone even remotely familiar with the Lexmark 2050 injet printer knows you don't need the manual. Everything you'd ever want to know about installing cartridges, cleaning the printer or maintaining it is included in a very thorough, well-written, profusely illustrated online help section.

This store sells Lexmark 2050 inkjet printers. The know-it-all saleswoman would have known about the online help section had she spent some time studying the product instead of trying to prove she's smarter than her customers.

I walked into another one of these stores a few months ago and tried to buy a couple of batteries. I selected the batteries I wanted and approached the counter with a five dollar bill in my hand.

"Name and phone number?" the clerk demanded.

"Why, are you afraid my five dollar bill will bounce?" I asked.

"No," he shot back, obviously offended and ready for battle, "we want to send you some mail."

"I get enough junk mail already. Are you going to sell me these batteries or not?"

"Not without your name and phone number."

Fine. I put the batteries on the counter and walked down to a nearby K-Mart. They sold me a couple of batteries without demanding to see my I.D., measuring my inseam or making me take a drug test.

And then there's the "extended warranty." A couple of years ago I went into this same store and bought a power strip for $6.95. A power strip, as you know, is basically a heavy-duty extension cord with four to six outlets on it.

"You'll want the extended warranty, won't you?"

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Of course I'm serious. The regular warranty is only 90 days. Four dollars will buy you a full 3-year warranty."

"Look, if this thing won't last three years, then you're selling some pretty shoddy stuff," I said.

"It's very high quality. Do you want the extended warranty?"

"No. I'll take my chances. If it conks out in three years I'll throw it away and buy another one - somewhere else."

"Name and phone number?"

"Yes."

"What do you mean 'yes?'"

"Yes, I have a name and phone number."

"May I have them?"

"No."

I'm usually not in the mood for a battle of wits with store clerks so I have another strategy. When they ask for my name and phone number I make them up.

"Name?"

"Dagwood Bumstead"

"Phone number?"

"555-1212"

"Thank you, Mr. Bumstead. Have a nice day!"

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 02-12-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Gotta try that fake name and phone number thing!
I have the exact same problem at a store that sounds very similar to your store. Everytime I go in there to buy something they are rude, don't know the product they are selling and ask me for my name, phone number and address, I always tell them that I gave it to them last time but this just isn't good enough for them. I've worked in retail for five years now (four in a camera/film processing store and one at a video store) and I know that some days you really don't feel like being nice to the customers but it's still no excuse for being rude!
Old 02-12-2002, 04:46 PM   #3
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

They have different techniques now. They make you get a card that you scan with all your info on it. If you don't have a card, you don't get the sales price. It makes you want to slap somebody!
Old 02-12-2002, 04:47 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Wow, how rude can people be? This certainly is the best way to chase away customers.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:52 PM   #5
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Eeeeh..do you guys live on mars?
I've never heard of anything like this!
Name and phone number for buying some batteries?!
That's disturbed, man!
But I do know about rude cashiers/clerks..I'm often very rude back..I always feel very good about that later
Although they might have taken offence, but hey, they're the one's who started it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:54 PM   #6
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Q. Can i have your name please ?

A. Why whats wrong with yours ? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:55 PM   #7
norompanlasolas

???!!!

arvon, i cant believe the people in that store asking for personal information on a $5 sale!!! are they absolutely insane or what?!!!

maybe im too paranoid about giving out personal info to anybody (bad experiences) but i never ever say my name, phone or address to anybody i dont know. even the police doesnt have that right here. actually, the police would be the last one i would tell that... well, maybe excepting telemarketers, that is. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 05:01 PM   #8
fable
Quintesson

I'm afraid I've experienced this "name and phone number please" request more and more often over the last few years. I ask why, and when they explain that they want to send me mailers about "exciting new items and sales," I reply that I'm not interested. Some take that in stride. Some get annoyed. One cautioned me recently that if I refused to give my name and phone number, I would be unable to return the purchased product in case of manufacturer defect. I ask if they can show me this under company policy, and they bluster. It's not pleasant. I've walked out of more than one store without a purchase after such a reaction.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:57 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

Well done JT....this time these are from personal experiance!!

Hmmm,I could never imagine a local store asking for my name and number....especially not if I buy batteries,,,actually, I cant think of any stores that ask you information like that....

Name names, I'm curious...+ ill have never heard of them.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:05 PM   #10
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't think sales people do that over here in England, but still, very rude of those guys.