Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-03-2001, 06:33 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
Memnoch: I'm not sure I understand what you mean about not being able to take CD's around with you with a Laptop. It's pretty similar to carrying around a portable CD player.

Ehm Tobes I probably didn't clearly explain my comment, I meant that I buy CDs as well as download MP3s because I have a discman and I carry THAT around when I'm mobile, not my laptop as I don't have an MP3 player so I really only listen to MP3s when I'm online or when I want to check a song out. If I like it, then I go to HMV or somewhere and buy it on CD. It's kind of awkward to rollerblade down the street with a laptop bag and headphones

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 06:35 AM   #12
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Moiraine, that sounds totally bizarre. CDs are data storage, and data is made up of more than just music!
Although, When I go to Best Buy, a Store here in the States, I see 'special' CDR's for music (Near Blank tapes area)-- They can do whatever they want with THOSE, because those CDR's say on the front "Only works with Music" or something to that effect.

I just bought some PNY CDR's and they are a BLACK! Called Black Diamond, and they are AWESOME, If you've ever seen a Playstation CD, it's like that.

The surface also is MUCH better on scratches! (Choc, again..)

I bought a 10 pack for $9.99! I remember paying 40 bucks for them in 97!

Ziroc

Old 03-03-2001, 06:39 AM   #13
Tobbin
Red Dragon

True, very true. They have new items on the market that you can carry around that let you take MP3's with you in those respects. They are basically very small computers that have memory sticks in them that you can copy files to. The benefit of using these portable MP3 players is that they do not skip. They are about the size of a small voice recorder. You can carry extra memory sticks in your pocket that will allow you to have like 8 to 10 hours of songs. Very easy to change tunes to as you can pop one stick out and plug another in. They are a bit pricey though. I've seen them around $150 for the player and 1 stick. Not sure how much the other sticks cost. I think around $26. They are re-usable though and you can share music with your computer, laptop, and other people with similar sticks. As with the laptop remark, I was saying mainly for travel.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-03-2001, 06:40 AM   #14
Moiraine
Anubis

Yep, strange 'pirating tax', and now they are talking about taxing any other data storage medium as well, and even computers !
I think downloading music is OK as long as you want only to taste samples, and are willing to buy the CD if you have enjoyed the sample.
Some friends tell me that Napster was also the only way to get access to some rare music that is no longer (or never was) for sale, like old live concerts from the 60s or 70s.
Old 03-03-2001, 07:07 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Choc! Hello widdle kittyfacelet! I love him Ziroc, you're lucky you are in Florida or I'd sneak in on little cat feet and swipe that cutekitty!

Memny, I understand entirely about the 'break through' possibilities for new artists due to label/contract constraints, but Napster wasn't running JUST new artists, they traded everything they could get their grubby little hands on. And I'm no fan of Metallica (oops, don't flame, me, I just have eclectic tastes! ) but I feel they (and all the others) have a right to see compensation for their art. If I ever write a novel, I'm sure as shootin, gonna want royalties!
Not everyone is decent enough to go out and buy the albums (oops that age thing is showing! )..er CD's, so I think the artists are just fighting back in the only way they know how. Court battles are so very common in my litigious country!

Moiraine: Does the 'fee' collected for those cd's that are sold get put into some kind of artist's fund or just the government's coffers?

Cloudbringer

------------------
Storm-Queen -aka The Purple Rose of the Black Knight
Old 03-03-2001, 07:12 AM   #16
Moiraine
Anubis

Cloudddyyy,
the tax goes to the actors of the music industry : part to the singer(s), part to the writer(s), part to the producer(s) and part to the distributor(s). I don't remember the exact relative percentages, but the lion's share goes to the distributor ...

------------------
I may not have earned a flsahy star, but I'm still here !
Old 03-03-2001, 08:07 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Moiraine, WE LOVE YOU even without the flashy stars!

Cloudy, who wants the really purrrty ones that Ziroc has! hehehehe

------------------
Storm-Queen -aka The Purple Rose of the Black Knight
Old 03-03-2001, 08:08 AM   #18
Tobbin
Red Dragon

You're gonna have to be spamming for a long time to get those cloudalicious.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-03-2001, 08:10 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You do have a flashy star, Moiraine - it's gold!

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 01:32 PM   #20
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I´m just watching the whole development with interest.
Yes Napster does provide artists with some exposure, but more often than not it is the artists who already have exposure that lose sales (Anastasia lost about 300 000+ sales??!!) through this theft.

Which is what taking something for sale without paying is.

This issue is the artists choice. I have no prob with my own stuff going around and considered putting in on Napster, but that is my choice.

A similar scenario is hanging around to see a good busker and then walking away without tossing a thing.
"I don´t have to pay so why should I" If he/she´s good enough to stop for, and they entertain you, what is fifty cents?

There are positives in this, and some negatives. There are plenty of other sites that will pick up where Napster left off.
Hopefully the net will in turn provide a way for artists to produce music without the need for record companies that reduce an artists share of a disc to around 12% of wholesale price (less in the US).

As I said I´m watching this with interest.

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?