Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2000, 08:05 PM   #11
bpm07

I'm not sure that's a bug, you were just damn lucky with the dice!

This, however is a bug. When I got BGII the first thing I did was to import my fighter from BGI. I'd got lucky there with STR18/00, Dex18 and Con18 but when I looked at his stats they were like this (no kidding!):
Str25
Dex25
Con25
Int25
Wis25
Cha25
Of course I accepted this "little" gift and played through the game, it was child's play!

Old 12-21-2000, 08:19 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

High Charisma gives some extra dialogue options and therefore different solutions to problems. The leaders Charisma affects party morale and NPC reactions too.
Curiously I found high Wisedom rather than Charisma lets you talk Spectator out of his job (more exp than the alternative.)
Druids were prominent influencial figures in ancient Celtic society so it makes sense that the Ad&d version has influence (charisma) too.
I love the other effect 25 str (Crom Faer) has: 1600 carrying capacity.
Old 12-21-2000, 08:52 PM   #13
G.W.

Yes, but there's nothing wrong with roleplaying as one of the strongest persons in the land. You are the son of a god after all....

Old 12-22-2000, 04:50 AM   #14
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, well strength, as in the rules look sometinh like this if Iīm not completely wrong and can spell it right (damn, took me minutes to come to this, enyone know how hard it is to type on one of these new Macīs? Damn!)
18 is the standard maximum for all nonfighter classes, and well since a druid can have 18/00 something have happened..
18/01-25 is one group, 18/26-50 one and 18/51-75 one and then 18/76-99 one and 18/00 is one stand alone, highest score for a normall humnan.
Personally I donīt care so much about strength since 16 is the score to have for bonus XP, always try to find gauntlets of ogre strength och girdls of xxxgiant strength...
Now some may say that, girdle of bluntness, or some other protection is better, but well in DoD games like Baldurs gate to Icewind Dale and so on, you can have an AC of -12 and Kobolds still hits you.. So monsters will hit you anyway no matter your AC ok, to have a 10 is not good cause you will get hit real often and real hard...
Nope, I believe in hitting the enemy so hard that he canīt hit you back no more! End of punishment!!!

Howl with me! itīs X-mas time!!!
Old 12-22-2000, 06:49 AM   #15
Sylent

So, am I to believe, that if you read a tome in BG1, it carries on to bg2?
I always just assumed they would take that sort of thing off...
I had a damn good roll in BG1, for my Gnome/fighter (gotta love the idea)
18/00, 16, 16, 10, 10, 10... Though I admit at the time, I had no Idea what I was doing, could have been heaps better.
I follow the same tactit as some others on this thread, I roll not for stat value, but for 18/xx...

Old 12-22-2000, 07:14 AM   #16
TLan

Well.. When I was making myself new fighter (berserker) char I was also re-rolling stats back and forth, trying to get a good max score in main stats. Until I hit the 'case' when all stats were rather good (13 and above) and so I reduced CHA to minimum (since I get the Ring of Human Influence very soon in game). So final stats were:

18/99 18 18 17 17 3

I especially liked the 18/99 part, and thought that no matter what, I wont lose that - how often do you roll 18/99 anyway heh.. To me this was second time in BG2. So yeah CHA is low, but this hasn't been any issue to me, and abovementioned ring has solved that problem also.. I'm cool with this setup.

T'Lan

Old 12-22-2000, 07:35 AM   #17
NeoCron

Lo, I have played thru Baldurs Gate 1, Tales of the sword Coast with minimal set of players (2 Imoen and myself). My main character is however a multiclassed elf (Fighter/Mage/Thief) so I am really 4 people, and Isince moen is a dual Thief/Mage we are six people

The reason behind this that after a while in BG1 I realised only 2 ever entered battles so why the extra

It worked wonders anyway (I ofcourse removed the xpcap since otherwise it would have been boring).

So my character is above 18 in all stats except charisma which I have a ring to raise to 18.

I now intend to play thru BG2 the same way, but since Imoen is locked away I have been doing it truely solo so far (last large q I finished was the beholder cult in the temple sewers).

Well anyway, cya.

Old 12-22-2000, 09:04 AM   #18
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

As a Monk I had periods where I went solo, but to do it all you'd miss so many parts of the game. The character interaction and their quests are half the fun. If you can battle through solo, you don't have any class needs and so can pick NPCs on their personality alone.
Old 12-22-2000, 02:15 PM   #19
MidNightForce
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No matter, i think. I dont believe that ill do it a second time to roll 100 stat points. 18/03 str or not, for a berserker/cleric is this more than good. I will not use the char only in normal fighting. He will have some powerfull cleric spells too. And a cleric with 100 stat points, with the hitpoints from a fighter, and grand mastery in katanas is for me a godlike hero. Maybe you are right when using pure fighter. And youll laugh, when youll hear that noone of the 6 party members have the charisma ring on. There are more important rings in the game... And enough NPC who can lead the party instead you, because having high charisma.
Old 12-23-2000, 04:03 AM   #20
TLan

Only thing is that as a cleric you cannot use katanas, I am afraid - clerics do not use bladed weapons. Give him some warhammer grandmastery, or good proficiencies in warhammers and maces, there's some nice ones out there.. Or staff.

But if you are going to dual to cleric, forget the bladed weapon proficiencies, you simply waste the points. Tested, proved, cursed..