Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I am in the begginning of chapter two, and I am in the orc/goblin caves trying to kill the orc leader so I can take his head to a farmer/retired adventurer. The orc Cheif keeps using a knockdown attack that almost always hits. I am usually knocked down long enough to receive around 26 damage from him. (all other orcs on this level are dead.) By the time my character is starting to get up, the orc cheif has announced another knockdown attack and I usually have around .5 seconds to:

A) run away and attempt to rest or use a potion/heal kit
B) attempt to use a potion right in front of him
C) attack and hope he misses his knockdown attack

I don't have a henchman and My character is a level seven fighter with around 75 HP. His stats are:

Half-elf
Str:16
Dex:14
Con:17
Int:10
Wis:10
Cha:9
Ac: (around)17

I don't know what his saving throws are, but his equipment is Longsword+1, half plate+1, winged helmet, tower sheild+1, and a longbow+1 with 99 arrows. Lesser belt of light? (immunity fear, lore+2, something else I can't remember), Scholar's ring, cloak of protection+1, another ring I can't remember, and some other amulet. No boots.

He is really good with the sword, and okay with the bow, but I hardly ever use that. Should I hire that clumsy cleric, or use the longbow and run from him ( this may take an hour and a hundred gold on arrows to do), or what else? hire every henchman one by one until he attacks them and knocks them down/kills them so I can attack?
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by LS0158:
I am in the begginning of chapter two, and I am in the orc/goblin caves trying to kill the orc leader so I can take his head to a farmer/retired adventurer. The orc Cheif keeps using a knockdown attack that almost always hits. I am usually knocked down long enough to receive around 26 damage from him. (all other orcs on this level are dead.) By the time my character is starting to get up, the orc cheif has announced another knockdown attack and I usually have around .5 seconds to:

A) run away and attempt to rest or use a potion/heal kit
B) attempt to use a potion right in front of him
C) attack and hope he misses his knockdown attack

I don't have a henchman and My character is a level seven fighter with around 75 HP. His stats are:

Half-elf
Str:16
Dex:14
Con:17
Int:10
Wis:10
Cha:9
Ac: (around)17

I don't know what his saving throws are, but his equipment is Longsword+1, half plate+1, winged helmet, tower sheild+1, and a longbow+1 with 99 arrows. Lesser belt of light? (immunity fear, lore+2, something else I can't remember), Scholar's ring, cloak of protection+1, another ring I can't remember, and some other amulet. No boots.

He is really good with the sword, and okay with the bow, but I hardly ever use that. Should I hire that clumsy cleric, or use the longbow and run from him ( this may take an hour and a hundred gold on arrows to do), or what else? hire every henchman one by one until he attacks them and knocks them down/kills them so I can attack?
What is your Discipline score? Discipline is the skill that is used to resist Knockdowns, Called Shots, etc. If you have not been putting any points into Discipline, then that would be a big problem (one that will get worse as you advance in the game). If need be, go back to town and buy the gloves of discipline (not sure if that is the name). The lesser versions raise Discipline by +3 and the greater ones raise it by +6, I believe. If you have not been investing in Discipline, at next level-up is a good time to start, especially since you are tanking everything. If you have been putting points in Discipline, then maybe the gloves will give you the extra amount you need to not get knocked down (also, getting more AC boosts helps, too; maybe come back after an upgrade of armor and/or shield).

Hope that helps!
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:22 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

I'd advise running around and using the bow in this case, rather than walking all the way back to town (although there's a very useful stone to shorten the journey, of course). If all the other orcs are dead already, this shouldn't be a problem, just slightly boring and time-consuming.
On level-up, spend some points on discipline. You only need to do this when you expect to be in the thick of the fighting a lot, otherwise you'll usually have other skills you really want to spend your points on. As a fighter, you'd expect to be doing a lot of swordwielding

The clumsy cleric, by the way, is only clumsy in dialogue-mode. The rest of the time it's only as bad as the other henchmen. Most of the time, anyway...
It's useful to have a enchman, but if you've gone without so far I'd try to just keep going by yourself. If you haven't completed any henchman quests in chapter 1, there's not going to be much activity from them in this chapter anyway.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I haven't been training in discipline since I got the gloves of discipline before I even escaped the acadamy, and I found the gloves of greater discipline soon after. I have been putting my two points per level in lockpick, although I've found that being a fighter and using bash works MUCH better. I managed to kill all three of the cheiftans, but I have a new problem. The orc mage I am supposed to kill is stuck in his house! the door is "barred from the other side" and has a lock level 100. I can't bash it in, it says my weapon has no effect. it is always like this:

Character: attacks door *hit* (X+Y=Z)
door: resists damage (5)
door: damage taken (physical)(0)
*weapon innefective*

When I move up close to the door, his head and weapon are sticking out, but "target is out of reach" and if I pull out my bow, the door is in the way. I can't cast spells, since I'm a fighter, but I can use certain scrolls like restoration. Can I do something to make the farmer think I killed the leader, like somehow create his head, or set some variable to make him think I killed the orc? I don't have a savegame from just before then, since I thought I had done something major by killing the cultist, and saved immediately.

My AC is now up to 25, I am wearing greater gloves of discipline, boots of striding +2, and some amulet I found that is AC+1

[ 04-12-2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: LS0158 ]
Old 04-12-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
Niadh
Elminster

Those huts cannot b opened, but I never found anything to go inside them. Check th ebodies, iirc the ogre had something on him as well as a reward.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Niadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

With the 'orc mage', you are referring to Dergiab the ogre in the orge caves along the north road, correct?
In the cave area directly around his position, there are four doors. Two metal ones connecting the place where you fight him to the rest of the corridors in the area, and two wooden ones built into the little homes. Now, the metal ones have hardness 10 and the wooden ones hardness 5. "door: resists damage (5)" would suggest you're trying to beat down the wooden ones.
However, these cannot be destroyed in any way, and opening them is impossible without a key, which does not exist as no key has been assigned to the lock. Basically this means the door can't be opened. Which is as it should be, as no area has been created for the door to lead to in any case.
With the door being indestructable and unopenable, your mage shouldn't have been able to pass through in the first place. Also, he shouldn't have had any reason to do so in the first place, as his orders are simply to attack on sight. Which means there's a bug at work here.
Now, you can't open the door, and you can't kill Dergiab. This means you can't complete the quest.

You could possibly use the "`" key (top left on most keyboards) with a command to spawn an item in your own inventory, but I've not yet had the need to use it and consequently haven't looked up what command that might be. I also am not sure if it is at all possible to obtain the item that way.
Alternatively, you could save the game and start a multiplayer session, with you playing the DM. Jump to the proper area and create the item on the ground. Save, and load that save in singleplayer mode. This, too, I haven't required often enough for me to know the details of.
In any case, the name of the item you want to get is "Dergiab's Head". It has tag "M2Q5DERGIABHEAD" and blueprint "m2q5dergiabhead". Experiment a bit, or do a search for the details of importing items to single player games. Or, wait around for someone else on IW to provide better details
Old 04-12-2003, 06:55 PM   #7
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, I meant Derigab. I think that he may start in the house, but when combat starts, come out, like the enemies in the row of houses that the scout alerted to attack. I don't even know how to play NWN online, and my parents probably wouldn't like me to play online. Is there something like Shadowkeeper or cluaconsole for single player? (If the reward for this quest is just another 150 gold, just tell me. I don't want to go through a lot of trouble for the value of using the Chapter 2 teleportation portal.)
Old 04-12-2003, 07:05 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

You don't need to be online to start a multiplayer game [img]smile.gif[/img]
Also, Mr. Ogre doesn't start out inside, he and his human friend are standing several meters away from the two homes from the moment you enter (actually, from the moment you first loaded chapter 2).
Old 04-12-2003, 07:13 PM   #9
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
You don't need to be online to start a multiplayer game [img]smile.gif[/img]
Also, Mr. Ogre doesn't start out inside, he and his human friend are standing several meters away from the two homes from the moment you enter (actually, from the moment you first loaded chapter 2).
So that means there was probably some tiny error when it was installing, causing Derigab to appear inside the house instead of near the cultist?

Do you remember what the reward is? Like I said before, I don't want to go through a lot of trouble for some pocket change. (By reward, I mean what he has on him, and what the farmer gives you. I don't try to persuade people for larger rewards since I am not very good at it and I am Lawful Good. Also, my Cha is 10 now. I finally reached level eight! My HP is up to 105, with the boots of striding +2)