Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-22-2001, 04:26 AM   #1
Drake
Baaz Draconian

it's very late. you walk into your room to go to sleep. just as you close the door you hear this popping sound. wandering what it could be you continualy search your room for the popping sound. annoyed with not being able to figure out what it is, you decide to get online to ask people if anything like this has happend to them before. as you sit down to type you notice a lot of heat coming from behind you computer. you can't figure out what is making that kind of heat. you check the health of your pc to see how it's doing. it would seam that the cpu fan has broke and your computer is over heating! you quickly turn it off! the next day you tell some friends what happend they tell you to show them. you turn on the computer and your computer starts to vibrate and then shuts down...

scary story I know it happend to me. aparently my cpu fan fell half way off. what's realy scary is that I was told that with out a fan your prosseser will over heat in about 15 seconds. my computer that cost 12500kr and I havn´t even had for a year was almost lost is one night....scary

------------------

Drake A.K.A. bocaj A.K.A MR.Drake
the HADB thug and keeper of Neil
Old 10-22-2001, 04:44 AM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

Drakey, when your comp is on, you can hear the fan whooshing noise. Thus, you have to worry if the damned noise is missing. Happened to me once, and this is what had me find the problem in a tick !

Besides, you have two fans in your machine, a general fan and a smaller one over the processor on the motherboard. Small chance that both go down at once.

Good luck !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-22-2001, 05:03 AM   #3
Drake
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Drakey, when your comp is on, you can hear the fan whooshing noise. Thus, you have to worry if the damned noise is missing. Happened to me once, and this is what had me find the problem in a tick !

Besides, you have two fans in your machine, a general fan and a smaller one over the processor on the motherboard. Small chance that both go down at once.

Good luck !

hi
Drakey? I like that. yes ít's a good name thanks rather funny because there is some people calling me Jakey over here too...cool

anyway the thing is that I didn't notice the fan sound. the popping sound it what had my attention. from now on I will always listen for that whooooshing sound to make shure everything is OK. It was the fan on the mother board that wasn't working but no problem I got a new on and everything is allllll better now

------------------

Old 10-22-2001, 05:10 AM   #4
Moiraine
Anubis

Don't worry too much though, normally there's a security on the motherboard that makes it stop if there is any overheating. Thus, it shouldn't break anyway.

Amazing that it's so often the mechanical parts of a comp that go awry - the buttons, the fans ...

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-22-2001, 06:12 AM   #5
Argus
The Magister

Buttons, fans, and the all important, cat mistaking laptop for chew toy...

Old 10-22-2001, 09:05 AM   #6
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:

Don't worry too much though, normally there's a security on the motherboard that makes it stop if there is any overheating. Thus, it shouldn't break anyway.

That depends, this is not always the case. Drake, what kind of CPU cooler do you have and what kinda CPU (AMD or Pentium???) If you have bought a CPU cooler that guarantese you that it will avoid the melting of your CPU then you could ask for a refund for your melted processor, as long as you can show them that the cooler failed.

------------------

Lady Menqel, Protector of IW's, smiter of evil

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
- Priest of Helm
- Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
- Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
- Magical advisor of MiLady Lioness
- Thanks to Sazerac for the great sig picture
Old 10-22-2001, 09:43 AM   #7
Drake
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirac Honorguard:
That depends, this is not always the case. Drake, what kind of CPU cooler do you have and what kinda CPU (AMD or Pentium???) If you have bought a CPU cooler that guarantese you that it will avoid the melting of your CPU then you could ask for a refund for your melted processor, as long as you can show them that the cooler failed.

uh I have the kind of cpu cooler that goes whooooosh?...oh but I do know what cpu I have. it's an AMD. I don't remember if my cooler had any sort of guarantee... but it doesn't realy matter the processor didn't melt it just got to a temp of 117 degrees. then I turned it off. so no real damage just had to get a new fan is all.

------------------

Old 10-22-2001, 09:51 AM   #8
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake:
uh I have the kind of cpu cooler that goes whooooosh?...oh but I do know what cpu I have. it's an AMD. I don't remember if my cooler had any sort of guarantee... but it doesn't realy matter the processor didn't melt it just got to a temp of 117 degrees. then I turned it off. so no real damage just had to get a new fan is all.

you're lucky you have a AMD and not a pentium, cause a damn pentium would have melted right off. And it would likely have damaged your motherboard with it. AMD produce alot of heat, but can also take alot so you noticed. You should be aware that the ideal temperature in the computer should be between 30 and 40 degrees Celcius and the ideal temperature of the CPU should be lower than 60 degrees Celcius. If the CPU gets higher then this temperature, put in an extra cooler ( you should be able to put two in the desktop), then the CPU is likely to have a longer "lifespan"

------------------

Lady Menqel, Protector of IW's, smiter of evil

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
- Priest of Helm
- Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
- Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
- Magical advisor of MiLady Lioness
- Thanks to Sazerac for the great sig picture
Old 10-22-2001, 09:59 AM   #9
Epona
Zartan

My system switches right off if the fan over the processor doesn't reach at least 200 rpm within a couple of seconds.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."