Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-08-2002, 10:36 AM   #1
daan
Silver Dragon

I'm soloing a bard now, so my spell-abilities are rather low,
needless to say thet do not weigh up to 6 or 7 cowles dimensioning in.

Now i kinda found the perfect way to kill them, but 'tis a bit too easy .... so i was just wondering wether you find my tactic too
cheesy.

My tactic is to use the 4th level spell Polymorph Self, then morph into a mustard jelly (not sure, but morph into the liquid-creature).
This li'll bastid has 100% Magic Resistance >
So all you have to do is let them unleash their worst at you, maybe fight of a goblin/shadow stalker and change back to yourself when they dont have any spells left.
(Staying a jelly isnt a good idea, because the high AC and low THAC0, versus some pretty high lvl mages, means you'll get whacked a lot by their staffs)

Anywayz, is it cheesy or just smart ??
I'm kinda stuck in between both of 'em
Old 01-08-2002, 10:42 AM   #2
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

Very cheesy, but not exploitive. It's on the fine line between cheese and powergaming, along with setting traps where something will spawn.
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
Suzaku
Drow Warrior

Whatever you think works(and does)!
if the mages can't do anything about that, its their fault.
You might run into the ugly top mages later on after you beat up the low dudes/ettes.
I've never tried that, just spell battle with them all.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:56 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

This tactic is not cheesy, simply an intelligent use of a spell. Any mage who cannot beat a mustard jelly should not be a Cowled Wizard. What if you were to use stoneskin on yourself first, then polymorph?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:32 AM   #5
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
This tactic is not cheesy, simply an intelligent use of a spell. Any mage who cannot beat a mustard jelly should not be a Cowled Wizard. What if you were to use stoneskin on yourself first, then polymorph?

It's not an intelligent use of a spell since it is using the crappy game AI to gain an unfair advantage. Do you think an extremely intelligent mage wouldn't notice that he is doing no damage to an opponent, yet keep slinging spells anyway? Using this method is cheesy, but it's his game so he can play how he wants, but calling it a smart tactic just isn't right.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
daan
Silver Dragon

Argh, hars and striking words there Jonni ...
But quite true, an intelligent mage would know a mustard jelly doesnt take any damage from magic AND moves slowly, so he'd probably just outrun me until i had to change back

Ah well, i suppose its buffing up, skeleton warriors, run away screaming when all else fails-time again.
GRRRR, just wait 'till i get ToB, you wont beat my 40th lvl blade that easy
Old 01-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #7
daan
Silver Dragon

Though thx for the support Azred,

And it wont be cheesy any more, if you just use polymorph as a defensive spell.
Cast it at the beginning of a battle, and when you're other magic protections fail, or the cowl is taking his time, casting a potentially hurtfull spell (thinking ABi here), you could change into a jelly to take the hit and then return to normal form to keep casting.
This way its intelligent again, as long as you dont change back and forth all the time. Which would be a waist of valuable spellcast rounds anywayz [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thx for the feedback evryone [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #8
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

I wasn't meaning to be so harsh, just stating my opinion on whether or not it's cheesy. But hey, it IS your game, so playstyle is of course completely up to you.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:24 PM   #9
Russ
Manshoon

quote:
And it wont be cheesy any more,

Dang. That's not cheesy. That's clever. That's what magic-users DO: use their spells in clever and unorthodox ways to keep their opponents off-balance.

I thoroughly approve...
Old 01-08-2002, 01:20 PM   #10
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

cheezy smeezy!! look, the spell was put into the game FOR A REASON!! personally i think its cool that someone found a use for such a spell. good on you man. i say whatever works. hypethetically speaking, if i were a wizard, and six extremely high level wizards wanted to rumble, i would do whatever i needed to survive. if you want to talk about cheese, then lets talk about time-stop, or comet, or meteor shower, or abi-dalzims horrid wilting. those spells are EXTRMELY powerful, and effective most of the time. i mean, cheese is stopping time, and vaporizing people with desintegrates, and abi-dalzims. turning into a pathetic creature that has high magic resistance is sheer brilliance!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote