Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I was in the Gith cave and confronted the demon waiting at the door. I used diplomacy to defeat him , but I never got any experience. Is this a bug or did I just get screwed? In every other situation ( NWN and NWN2) and have used diplomacy I have gotten experience.
Oh well, I guess I have to suppress my civilized side and go bonkers on the guy.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by toot033:
I was in the Gith cave and confronted the demon waiting at the door. I used diplomacy to defeat him , but I never got any experience. Is this a bug or did I just get screwed? In every other situation ( NWN and NWN2) and have used diplomacy I have gotten experience.
Oh well, I guess I have to suppress my civilized side and go bonkers on the guy.
Same thing happened to me. Used diplomacy, convinced him he had already failed his mission, and demon dies. No XP. Like you, every other time I have talked my way out of combat in NWN2 I got xp for it.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

So? It's not like this game is XP-scarce. If you feel forced to kill a monster just because of XP it says more about you as a player than about the roleplaying .

Yeah it's probably a bug or oversight. The whole game should have been balanced better towards actual rewards for having invested in skills.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
So? It's not like this game is XP-scarce. If you feel forced to kill a monster just because of XP it says more about you as a player than about the roleplaying .
Yeah, it IS if are playing a +1, +2 or +3 ECL class. Check out the Bioware forums. In order to get to level 20 as an ECL class, you have to do almost every quest. ECL +3 requires an additional 53,000 xp so every little bit DOES mean something.

It doesn't say SQUAT about you as a player if you choose to go for non-diplomatic solutions. It's called ROLEPLAYING! Not every player HAS to role play a diplomat, or attempt to apply diplomatic solutions in all cases. However it WOULD be nice if you got XP for applying your skills when you DO choose to use them.

Speaking of which, why doesn't the thief get xp for recovering traps, removing traps? I seem to recall that you DID get xp for that in BG2 I think?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 11-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Also related, I rerolled from an evil char to a goody-two shoes because basically as much as the game would have you believe you can be evil you really can't. If you go pure evil you will find yourself...

A) Sacrificing many rewards and not getting some kind of compensation via evil means. Now, of course I know most NPC's just reward a good deed but an evil char has no alternative "evil" deed to perform most of the time so instead goes without.

B) Faced with certain decisions in the game you cannot make without moving your alignment toward the lawful end. There are some core choices you have to make that no matter what you choose, counts as a good act.

Now, I amn't too pissed off with it since really D&D isn't about being evil. What annoys me is why they planted the illusion that it is possible at all. Oh well, I tried it mainly because the evil/mean dialogue options made me laugh so much.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Yeah, it IS if are playing a +1, +2 or +3 ECL class. Check out the Bioware forums. In order to get to level 20 as an ECL class, you have to do almost every quest. ECL +3 requires an additional 53,000 xp so every little bit DOES mean something.

It doesn't say SQUAT about you as a player if you choose to go for non-diplomatic solutions. It's called ROLEPLAYING! Not every player HAS to role play a diplomat, or attempt to apply diplomatic solutions in all cases. However it WOULD be nice if you got XP for applying your skills when you DO choose to use them.

Speaking of which, why doesn't the thief get xp for recovering traps, removing traps? I seem to recall that you DID get xp for that in BG2 I think?
So? Boohoo, I'm not max level! Who cares, this game isn't challenging anyway combatwise. Besides, you are CR 20 by that time, so it's fair. As for the rest: I agreed with you. I'd like to see a more FalloutII style implementation of skills. In that game, an obscure skill like science or doctor really mattered, and could get you rewards that were both unique and worth it.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:

B) Faced with certain decisions in the game you cannot make without moving your alignment toward the lawful end. There are some core choices you have to make that no matter what you choose, counts as a good act.

Hmmm, so far I haven't encountered that, at least not to the degree that it actually matters, but maybe I'm not far enough in. I agree that some choices DO shift you to lawful or good, or both, but not in a HUGE way. I do know that so far, there are some quests that simply by accepting them you get points toward chaos - the collector for example, and others that you EITHER get a chaotic hit or an evil one no matter what you do (the IMPS). The shifts for the IMPS quest are BIG too! (It's either 10 points to chaos or ten points to evil - forgot which)

So far, I've encountered enough choices that you can lie or kill your way through certain quests, but not all. I think there are enough quests that will either swing you one way or another, that you can probably do ALL of them without worrying about an alignment shift in the end. At least that's the way it seems to me.

I agree that if you are being FORCED down a good path, and you're playing evil, that really means that there is no evil option.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:

Hmmm, so far I haven't encountered that, at least not to the degree that it actually matters, but maybe I'm not far enough in. I agree that some choices DO shift you to lawful or good, or both, but not in a HUGE way. I do know that so far, there are some quests that simply by accepting them you get points toward chaos - the collector for example, and others that you EITHER get a chaotic hit or an evil one no matter what you do (the IMPS). The shifts for the IMPS quest are BIG too! (It's either 10 points to chaos or ten points to evil - forgot which)

So far, I've encountered enough choices that you can lie or kill your way through certain quests, but not all. I think there are enough quests that will either swing you one way or another, that you can probably do ALL of them without worrying about an alignment shift in the end. At least that's the way it seems to me.

I agree that if you are being FORCED down a good path, and you're playing evil, that really means that there is no evil option.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, it ain't a big deal. I could still RP a somehwat evil char if I wanted to.