Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 06:53 PM   #1
Mourdret
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yaaargh, good to see this forum online again... I signed up with some /other/ IWD site to get a few emergency questions answered, and no one ever replied, nrk.

A nonemergency question: does gold have a purpose past Chapter 4 or so in Icewind Dale? I'm one of those... /thorough/ people who will travel back and forth between a town and a dungeon three or four times, just to transfer and sell all the loot I've amassed during the crawl. I'm now at around 100,000 gold pieces, and just dying to throw it all away making frivolous purchases... but where, where. No offense to Conlan, but his armour stinks and his special weapons are pretty useless to me, as all my characters are sword and bow users. Orrick has got some wands, but my hoarding instincts cover those, too- I want to save them for when 'I really need them', which means they remain unused until the final battle, and chances are that I forget to use them even then.

So, I'm at Dorn's Deep right now. Is it still worth it to make loot runs, or am I wasting my time and inventory space? ... though it'd be a wrench to leave all those long swords +1 just lying around to rust.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Chapter 4, chapter 4, now where was I in chapter 4...??

Have you done the Shattered Hand yet? There is a 'merchant' there that you could deal with, and he sells some nifty items (mainly magical ammo for missile weapons). Also in Lower Dorn's Deep you'll come across a couple of other merchants as well.

At the end of the game I had more than 500k gold (but I finished HoW and TotLM before I wrapped up IWD).
Old 01-11-2002, 09:04 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Its doubtful that you will be able to use all the money you earn. I ended up with just under 1 MILLION gps after running thru IWD/HOW/TotLM from start to finish and it could have been worse, because I am a PACKRAT by nature and the thought of selling a +5 hammer just doesn't sit well with me! (after all, who knows what dastardly denizen of the realms might end up with it?) I bought a LOT of magical potions, scrolls, magical arrows/bolts/bullets and some of the REALLY nice items as well. As the game progresses, there is just an incredible amount of loot to sell. And some of the foes you encounter will drop a LOT of magical items, most of which you won't want to use because you already have better stuff. This is particularly true once you get to Heart of Winter.

Still, after chapter 4 there are a lot of one of a kind items that only the merchants have - that you will at least want to consider buying! And these are not cheap! SO, don't stop collecting loot just yet. You can easily spend 200k to 300k gps on some of the REALLY nice items later on in the game! And if not you can always give it to a local church! [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote