Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Ever since I moved into my new room, I've been trying to share the Internet connection with the guy living above me. I've bought a router and the needed cable, and we've hooked things up. Now, both our computers connect to the Router just fine, and we managed to go through the basic setup (setting up things like time zone and the Mac adress) yet after that.. I still can't connect to the internet. I use Windows XP, he is on Win 98. What am I doing wrong here?
Old 10-03-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Run Ipconfig on both machines. Get their IP addresses. Both should be on the same range. I suspect your machine will be set with a static IP from some previous network. Just set it to get an automatic address from the router and you will be fine. Or you might have set both machines on static IPs and given them the same IP.

Other things - it *is* a router, isnt it? I know people who didnt realise the difference between a hub and a router and got this kind of problem.

Can you connect to your friends machine across the network? Can you ping the router?
Old 10-03-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
The Fallen One
Elminster

I m not really sure, but i think u wanna go to the network adapter>tcp/ip properties, and get the same DNS
Old 10-03-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Thanks guys [img]smile.gif[/img] Is it really as easy as using 'Run', 'Ipconfig' and making sure we have the same IP adress?
Old 10-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Can the guy with 98 connect to the internet, or are both of you blocked?

Is XP's built-in firewall active? When mine is, I can't connect through my router. During setup, if you chose that you connect to the internet through a hub, it will automatically activate the XP firewall, but you can turn it off manually.

Are you and he networked? Did you run the XP setup program on his machine? Did you choose "gateway" when setting up the internet?

Occassionally, my connection will "hose up". Shutting down the computer doesn't fix the problem unless I actually disconnect the power because the network card still gets power when the power switch is off(notice the light being on).

andrewas has a *much* better chance at helping you than me, but those are just a few quick fixes I remember. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-03-2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-03-2003, 09:59 PM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

You also might need to check the router manual. I know that my second machine needs to access the Internet through a "proxie server." It's in the IE tools, connections, lan settings tabs.

Just a thought.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:21 AM   #7
esquire
The Magister

You could also try opening more of the router ports.... though I suspect it is probably the firewall on xp that is causing the problem. Also, you could try calling your cable company and they can check to see if your ip is working right. Lastly, go to the company website for the router and check their tech support. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 05:29 AM   #8
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well, when we activate the router, neither of us has internet. In order to restore his connection, we have to disable it again. The first thing I did when I found it wasn't working was disable the standard XP firewall, which of course has little effect. I also ran the XP setup on his system, and we went through the website and the manual numerous times.
Father Bronze: Good one, I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]