Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 09:48 PM   #1
Izanagi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Terribly sorry, to bring this up.

What might be good against him? :]
Izanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 09:57 PM   #2
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

MINOR SPOILER
The way I beat him was to summon all the most powerful creatures I could mainly elements to buy me sometime from getting hit in close. And equipping some of the equipment that I found in the dungeon above (dragon slayer sword, dragon helm and the shield that’s with the dragon slayer sword, I can't remember what its called). Put minor sequencers on both my mages with magic missile. Cast lower magic resistance twice, fired my sequencers and hoped for the best in combat with my fighters while lobbing the odd spell at him with my mages. And healing my fighters when they got hurt.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Evil Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:01 PM   #3
daeomer
Manshoon

My party fought him at about 15th level I believe. I spaced out my group before combat and then cast lower magic resistance upon him (two in fact). My fighters (Minsc, Jaheira, Valygar and my Archer) all attacked while Imoen and Aerie fired off magic missiles, flame arrows and acid arrows which were effective due to the lowered resistance. It didn't take too long to defeat him.I think other people have more exciting strategies but this was effective for me.

One note however is that I have the bonus cd and used the robe of vecna for Aerie so that she could cast lower resistance really quickly; as well as Vailor's helm which allowed me to create a simulcrum of one of my Archer. If you have access to these items it is definitely a big help to the game. You can download them If you don't have them already.
daeomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:36 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

aerie magic resistanced him
jaheria harmed him
*he went hostile*
nalia magic missiled him

ok, i know its cheesy but i didnt know any better at the time

and daeomor, flame arrow on a red dragon? bit silly?
Old 11-30-2001, 12:28 AM   #5
daeomer
Manshoon

LOL! Whoops yeah! I see that I included something that shouldn't have been there. Flame arrow was NOT one of the spells I used. Pretty futile... you are right!
daeomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 12:53 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I made a website on some of the more popular Dragon fighting tactics, you can get the link from my signature.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:50 AM   #7
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

Feeblemind. He is also very suseptable to lightning.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 02:18 AM   #8
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

I moved my tanks (me - berserker, Minsc, Anomen) in front of Firkraag. Edwin, Viconia and Jan stayed out of his sight. My PC talked with him and he goes hostile. He wingbuffeted my tanks only one time. My tanks attacked him again. Edwin used spell trigger with breach and 2 lover resistances and Jan cast greater mallison. Jan attacked him with light crossbow, Viconnia with Sling of Everard and Edwin with Firetoth. After short fight Minsc kill him with Vorpal sword. Only Anomen died, failed drink potion of healing.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:08 AM   #9
Whailor

Spoiler
Basically, the fight wasn't hard. Though the ole Firkraag put up a big bigger fight then he used last time, I guess the reason was this Baldurash Firkraag update fix I got heheh..

Anyway, no cheasy tactics here was done. I spoke to him and ended the dialogue with the words that "I will get back to you" or something to that extent. The mage went upstairs and I readied for Firkraag. I mean I did say "I will come after you later", I simply didn't tell when this later was supposed to be, so for me the "later" was after that

Anyway, slapped on Bless and Defensive Harmony. On weaker party members (Yoshi, Aerie) slapped on the Barkskin and Stoneskin (Aerie). Aerie slapped on also the Blur. Main char who is Berserker used Draw Holy Might special ability (he's a char imported from BG1). By that time I had already the Boots of Speed, so main char put them on. Everyone got also Hasted. On main tanks, that was my char and Minsc, I put on the Protection from Fire, also on Aerie and Yoshi. And Resist Fear on Minsc. Moved then everyone around the ole Kraggie, so that they were all scattered and yet able to attack him. Main char and Minsc were in front of Kraggie. Then used Enrage on main char and attacked the old Kraggie with all.

Well, the ole Kraggie went ballistic, guess he thought that "later" is like after a year or so. Yeah right.. He slapped on some buffs, didn't bother to check which ones in detail since it wasn't anything what the Breach couldn't take down. Breach took those down and after that, slapped the Lower Magic Resistance on him (Aerie spell). Jaheira had also the True Sight running, just in case [img]smile.gif[/img] By that time he had slapped the Minsc and my main char away with the Wing Buffet, and nuked Aerie with the fireball - guess he didn't like the Lower Magic Resistance. Due to the Protection from Fire being on, nothing happened to Aerie. By that time the main char and Minsc were back on him and pounded away. During this 'prelude' Jaheira, Yoshi and Mazzy were pelting Kraggie all the time. Jaheira had the Sling of Everard from Joluv, Mazzy had her own bow and Yoshi was using Tansheron's Bow. Aerie had some +4 sling what I got from the Temple Ruins, forgot the name of it.

Anyway, back to the point where tanks got back to him. Kraggie turned on Minsch here and since he had Improved Haste on him, he did damage Minsc nicely. During that time main char was pounding away like crazy and doing some nice damage at the nice speed. I loaded up the Magic Missiles with Aerie to soften Kraggie up and then shot him. Here's the dissapointing part - Kraggie fell to the first missile what hit him. Apparently he was almost dead already and all he needed was one more whack, and darn Aerie nabbed the kill from the main char. Duh!

Levels were between 12-15. Kraggie did put up the better fight then he used to do without the Baldurash fix, but he wasn't that big of a foe since I prepared for the fight (meaning that I have rushed him also and then it's a bit more messy heheh)
Old 11-30-2001, 01:21 PM   #10
Russ
Manshoon

quote:
What might be good against him? :]

There are lots of suggestions that folks here can give you.... are you a powergamer or a roleplayer? If you're a roleplayer, you'll be a lot more limited, since, although you can certainly start off hostilities without declaring it, the chance of firkraag letting your thieves run around setting bear traps at their feet is fairly small...

I found that the universal acclaim for lower resistance + magic missile is well-deserved. Also, the simple expedient of poisoned bolts and arrows does wonders. A few hits, and I mean only two or three, with arrows or bolts of biting, are enough to really turn the tide on this critter.