Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 07:10 PM   #11
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

For #1:

Copy (don't cut) the W&W directory to a new folder, and call it Unpatched Wizards and Warriors.
Then install the patch, chosing the original directory that you started off with as the location to install the patch. Install it, and now you've got both copies running on your computer .

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #12
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Gday SMIV,
You can save your saved game file and switch it between games. I always play the patched game so I don't know if the save file is compatable between patched & unpatched.
There are better ways to make gold in the game. It is a legitimate commercial idea, Bungleau has a word for it that I can never remember, I don't consider it a cheat because you can do it in real life. This could be a spoiler for some.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Any sort of enchanted arrows can be bought at the armoury then resold for a greater price. When you get a ranger he can make copies of your best arrow as he rests, then sell them. You may have to be a guild member to access the arrow+1 in the fighters guild but your best fighter should be promated to barbarian asap anyway.
Have fun.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi!

Tried to answer this before but the board was being flaky.

1.As fas as I know you cannot have two separate versions of the game on one machine. If your interest in doing so is to have an unpatched version to take advantage of some of the "undocumented features" and a patched version to avoid some of the bugs - my suggestion would be to run the game unpatched. The only critical bug in the unpatched version (that I recall, the techies will be certain to correct me! ) is the Vampire Ring - simply do not equip this ring.
Now, if you run the game unpatched and seem to be having too many problems, go ahead and patch the game. I played the game many times and never used the patch.

2.The great group of techie posters here have yet to encounter a problem that could not be solved in one form or another!

3. Quests from individual guilds are pretty much given in order - you can't get the next until you've finished the first etc. You can have quests from more than one guild at a time. Some quests will regenerate - the Ninja quest requires that you lower the drawbridge on the castle - no problem, you can have different characters do that at different times. It will work. Scanthril's quest (assassin's dagger) has multiple parts so you want to make a point of doing them in order - his first request will be to find his agent (whose burnt body you can find in the woods on the way to the Stout Mines). It's worth the trip back to Scanthril to tell him this news and ask about a "job" to get the second half of the quest.
There's plenty of information on the board about the quests - it's always a good idea to have as many of your characters who qualify for a particular quest take it at the same time (ooooo wait until you deal with Sebastio). They can all get credit for the quest then.

W&W is a very flexible game with so many possibilities - don't fret about it all too much - play and have FUN!!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:04 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, SMIV! I take part of a day off, and there's a flood of activity to welcome you!

May your travels in the Gael Serran be enlightening, encouraging, and exhilirating.

Now, to respond...

Yep, virtualdub takes care of those pesky town issues.

And nope, can't equip the vampire ring without the patch.

And yep, the patch disables a few preferred *ahem* features (where's Willow? )

And yep, the way around your gold limitations is arbitrage, the art of buying low and selling high. There's a tremendous market for magic arrows out there...

And fortunately, the game makes sure you do things mostly in order. You can't proceed (at least not easily) from one part of the mainline quest to the next. And even if you skip ahead, you can always go back if you need to. There aren't really any ways to break the game so you can't complete it.

Only spots I can think where the quests go screwy are in Brimloch Roon, the final town. There's a glitch with the thieves' guild quests that doesn't let you get the third unless at least one person still has the second one. And in the wizards' guild, completing quest two the easy way prevents you from getting quest three. But both of those are minor, and do not prevent you from completing the game.

As a side note, each guild gives you at least three quests in each town. So if you get stuck at one quest, you can still advance in guild levels elsewhere.

It's all about choices... and in the Gael Serran, there are no wrong ones...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #15
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I can only answer questions 2 and 3.

2. Most bugs have a workaround. In fact most bugs are benign in that they are exploitable to your advantage. Some irritating bugs such as the spirit shield bug and the vampire ring bug can only be circumvented by installing the patch, but the patch eliminates many of the good bugs. (The inn bug, the multiple ascension bugs, the guild hopping bug, the toughen bug, etc).

The only real problem is that the final stages of programming were omitted when was rushed on the market. That means that a seemingly important part of the gameplay is missing. You will not discover that until the end, though (and only if you choose a specific action then), and by then the loss is not felt hard in any way. It does, however, also mean that parts of constructions that were eventually omitted remain in the game providing interesting discoveries.

3. Sazerac made a post detailing all quests on Page four of the Best Tips thread. Generally that thread is where you will want to search. Also the Volberding Site is worth bookmarking.

If you type in the search words "Stackman's Adventures" in the Forum search engine you will find all the chapters of this Forum's unofficial walkthrough of the game.

Once you get past Brimloch Roon (the third town) you have to be careful not to go too far when exiting Anephas's Shrine without having undertaken the "kill Bloodbeard" quest. Otherwise that quest may be forfeit.

There are also problems concerning the "Talon's Fang" quest, but those problems are addressed on page four of the best tips and on Volberding's Site. Check there once you get that far.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:53 PM   #16
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

FYI
We cannot process your posting, because you have exceeded the maximum number of images allowed per post. The current maximum is 8.

» Please use your browser's back button to return.

What is this? I can't seem to post for some reason...is this another bug... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #17
bsftcs
Red Dragon

No it is not. One can only include a maximum of eight smileys in each post. You have just exceeded that number. Omit a few and you will be able to post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-23-2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 01-23-2004, 08:50 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That also includes ones that are in a post you may have quoted. So if I quoted bsftcs' response, I'd already have used one smiley (at the end of his second line).

Some people have gotten too crazy with them in the past, so we all suffer the repercussions.
-+-+-+
Old 01-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #19
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ghey?

WoW, WoW, and more WoW! You guys are something else I tell you. I shouldn't say this, but you all could charge money for that kinda service.

Nice to meet all of you truly. Wyvern is my new best friend (and if what i hear is true and Wyv is female...i'm in love... ) and Bungleau is my favorite "novelist" next to Steven King... [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
For #1:

Copy (don't cut) the W&W directory to a new folder, and call it Unpatched Wizards and Warriors.
Then install the patch, chosing the original directory that you started off with as the location to install the patch. Install it, and now you've got both copies running on your computer .
Lord: Thank you for making me the nerd that I am. Thank you for not giving me 6 toes or an arm coming out of my backside. Thank you for feeding me and my family (me too much but oh well [img]smile.gif[/img] ).....
Seriously though...has noone attempted to switch the saved games back and forth from patched to unpatched cause I just feel like contributing to your cause (it seems so noble) and I don't think there's much else I could really do (i'm no techie....durh [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). If this would help at all you guys let me know and I'll keep track of savedgames and such to report any new problems and the like.

Kev and Wyvern: When I played before I actually got to the temple of Cet (not sure on names) and had figured out the fletchery/arrow trick. I personally remember selling the "Dragon Arrow" used in a quest I think...it was worth some serious money if I'm not mistaken. Cet's Temple was where I officially got stuck and had to abandon the game (i even got past the vampire ring on my own...didn't equip it), but now am ready to give it another go. I want to use the Inn cheat primarily to get me started off on the right foot

I'll reiterate:
Quote:
Originally posted by SMIV:
What other games here at Ironworks do you all play and what not?

I personally have Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale, but am really thinkin about gettin some more of the games located here. I hear a lot of good things about Baldurs gate II. Gimme some of your opinions on games. I've always played Might and Magic series, but with the 3DO bankruptcy I've got to find other ways to waste my life away.
I'm one of those kinda guys that feels "So many games...so little time"

oh...yea...what does "bsftcs" stand for?

later all!
Old 01-24-2004, 01:24 AM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Forgot to mention... I'm also addicted to Might & Magic, and am replaying MM9 now for the heck of it. I hope something comes out of the series... I miss it *sniff*

And I'm glad you like the stories. It's been fun documenting Missy's adventures. And now she's almost done with me...
-+-+-+