Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2001, 09:16 PM   #31
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oi, ia prosto ne znaiiu ob etom! Ia ne mogu ili po-russkii pisat' s russkami bukfami, ili po-nemetskii s latinskami bukvami....kak mne ne stidno chto ne pomniu bolshe nemetskii....SIGH...(ne znaiiu kak po-russkii pishetsia 'sigh').
(I'll let Moiraine tackle that one)

Ramon- (butchered German alert...sigh..) Sehr interesante! Ich habe drei (semesters) Deutsch studiert. I really have to find my old German texts. I thought we'd be bringing German back in my department this year, but it's a no-go for now. Maybe next year.

Wish to heck I could get my cyrillic to work here. Russian looks horrendous in Latin letters, not to mention I have a penchant for mixing transliteration systems. Oh, and did I mention, haven't had to WRITE in Russian for several years. Ok, I'm pathetic here...sniffle.

Good thread, btw!

Melusine! Wie gehts?

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-30-2001, 05:59 AM   #32
Melusine
Dracolisk

Mi5 geht's wunderbar, Cloudy...oder eigentlich auch gar nicht...ich versuche aber immerhin optimistisch zu bleiben.... Habe ein paar schwere Tage hinter mich, natürlich wegen den ME aber auch weil ich gestern mitgemacht habe an eine sehr schwierige Quiz von der Uni... kennt jemanden den Englishen Programm University Challenge? Meine Uni hatte so etwas gleiches organisiert für die Studenten Englisch... euer Team war das einzige ohne ein Lehrer/Professor.

I'll continue in English: I was relating the story of what I did last night...My university had organised a Quiz based on University Challenge for all English students... there where four teams, and ours was the only one without a teacher in it. The other teams had the Professor of Literature, the Professor of Language and the Headteacher of Literature, so we were very unevenly matched...
Still, we didn't do too bad, although we didn't make it to the final. There were some hilarious moments, for example when the quizmistress told us: this question is for you computer addicts, and asked what virus, named after a famous ten... and my boyfriend slapped the table and screamed KOURNIKOVA!!!!
Also, in the Finale, everybody had to answer two Shakepeare questions. One girl was asked what Will's parent's names were. She had no idea, and in the end just said, well, what the heck, John and Mary! Turns out it was correct!
Our Headteacher of Lit., a Shakespeare expert, (an expert on everything for that matter) baffled us all... the quiz-organisers had been working for two days on a question for him which they were sure he would not be able to answer. They asked him which three actors did William Shakespeare name in his will. And to the complete suprise and admiration of everyone, he got it right!!!

OK I see that I have drifted off quite far...sorry...
Ramon, this could be the Forum's Fremdsprache-thread, OK? Any language is allowed as long as at least 1 other member understands it...or it wouldn't be much fun to write it down anyway

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-30-2001, 06:17 AM   #33
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRae:

Ramon de Alemania, realmente no sé español a excepción de algunas frases coloridas de cuando mi madre trabajó en una gota en centro aquí en Portland. Sí, estoy utilizando de hecho un traductor electrónico.

Dear LadyRae, on the dangers of electronic translators: did you want to tell me that your mother used to work for a Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP) company ?
Well, that is at least the only explanation I could come up with, since "gota" in Spanish means drip or drop like in : "raindrops are falling on my head ..."

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-30-2001, 06:55 AM   #34
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Mi5 geht's wunderbar, Cloudy...oder eigentlich auch gar nicht...ich versuche aber immerhin optimistisch zu bleiben.... Habe ein paar schwere Tage hinter mich, natürlich wegen den ME aber auch weil ich gestern mitgemacht habe an eine sehr schwierige Quiz von der Uni... kennt jemanden den Englishen Programm University Challenge? Meine Uni hatte so etwas gleiches organisiert für die Studenten Englisch... euer Team war das einzige ohne ein Lehrer/Professor.

I'll continue in English: I was relating the story of what I did last night...My university had organised a Quiz based on University Challenge for all English students... there where four teams, and ours was the only one without a teacher in it. The other teams had the Professor of Literature, the Professor of Language and the Headteacher of Literature, so we were very unevenly matched...
Still, we didn't do too bad, although we didn't make it to the final. There were some hilarious moments, for example when the quizmistress told us: this question is for you computer addicts, and asked what virus, named after a famous ten... and my boyfriend slapped the table and screamed KOURNIKOVA!!!!
Also, in the Finale, everybody had to answer two Shakepeare questions. One girl was asked what Will's parent's names were. She had no idea, and in the end just said, well, what the heck, John and Mary! Turns out it was correct!
Our Headteacher of Lit., a Shakespeare expert, (an expert on everything for that matter) baffled us all... the quiz-organisers had been working for two days on a question for him which they were sure he would not be able to answer. They asked him which three actors did William Shakespeare name in his will. And to the complete suprise and admiration of everyone, he got it right!!!

Ramon, this could be the Forum's Fremdsprache-thread, OK? Any language is allowed as long as at least 1 other member understands it...or it wouldn't be much fun to write it down anyway

Liebe Melusine,

es ist schön zu sehen, daß Du es schaffst, die Kraft zu finden, um aktiv zu bleiben. Außerdem ist Deine Geschichte von Eurem Englischquiz sehr unterhaltsam.
Aber wieso kennt Dein Freund Anna Kournikova so gut ? Er sollte nur Augen für Dich haben ! Vielleicht sollest Du ihm einmal Wah's Höllenschlundscheusal (pit fiend - eigentlich der einzige Fall, in dem mir der deutsche Name besser gefällt) vorstellen, damit er weiß, daß er besser ein "guter Junge" sein sollte.

Ich hoffe, daß Du es mir nicht übel nimmst, wenn ich Dich auf einen Fehler hinweise, eigentlich der einzige, den Du zweimal gemacht hast: "euer" klingt zwar fast wie "our" in Englisch meint aber "your" (Plural), "our" auf Deutsch ist "unser". Aber ansonsten ist Dein Deutsch wirklich sehr gut und Du machst nur sehr wenige Fehler !

Du bist sehr tapfer, mein Respekt !

I think it is an outstanding idea to limit the use of languages to cases in which at least one other board member understands the respective language, makes sense. ... But then again, the realm of narcism, vanity and self-centeredness tends to be a vast one in the human soul, so: "Who cares if anyone understands my ramblings, as long as I know that they are brilliant ! "

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-30-2001, 05:34 PM   #35
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ramon, vielen Dank für deine Hinweise, natürlich weiß ich dem Unterscheid zwischen euer und unser, ich weiß nicht weil ich daßimmer falsch gemacht habe... muß sein weil ich so müde war...
Sebastian (mein Freund) steht gar nicht auf Anna, sondern er sagt mir immer, daß er sogar nicht nach andere Mädchen guckt... er wüßte die Antwort zu der Frage nur, weil er ein "computer nerd" ist

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-30-2001, 06:09 PM   #36
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ropluka dren leedei fren des kreeden! Nested vel gruika flei des ancha des hulka. Grenkor dren bruskala hamda!
Old 03-30-2001, 06:18 PM   #37
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Melusine! Danke! Ok, I forget how to spell in German too...ack... I did ask the Chair of our department about German and guess what?! He thinks we may have at least one or two classes in Fall and I know the instructor! She used to be in the old Department I worked for when they merged German with us (Slavic) and I love the way she approached things...plus we are fairly well acquainted and I MAY be able to get tutoring....oh FRABJOUS DAY!

Wow, that Shakespeare answer, well BOTH of them, amazing! What a neat idea, that Quiz! KOURNIKOVA? Too funny!

I followed a fair bit of it in the German! Wooohoo! But can you or Ramon tell me what "..eigentlich auch gar nicht.." means?

And I still want to be able to type the right accents and that darned double es...

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 03-30-2001).]
Old 03-30-2001, 06:35 PM   #38
Melusine
Dracolisk

cloudy, it's been a while hasn't it? nice seeing you. aber eigentlich auch gar nicht means but on the other hand not... I was feeling *happy* but not well physically...

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-30-2001, 06:47 PM   #39
Sir_Tainly

Gute nacht alles,

Ich muss (nach?ins?) bett gehen, es ist sehr spat hier.

Sorry for destroying the German language here, wanted to see how much Deutsch i'd forgotten, most of it. 3 years well spent then

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 03-30-2001, 09:41 PM   #40
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
cloudy, it's been a while hasn't it? nice seeing you. aber eigentlich auch gar nicht means but on the other hand not... I was feeling *happy* but not well physically...
Yes it has! I'm glad for the 'happy' and sorry about the not well..listen, I may be getting some info from my friend at work who has a variation of M.E. She has been dealing with it a while now. She told me a bit the other day and I'll relate it to you at some point. She was looking up some things for me.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen