Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2002, 03:36 PM   #21
andrewas
Harper

I assumed 12d6+12 damage was a typo. 24-84 damage, no dragon does *that* much. Not every round anyway. *one* hit from that will kill most level 4-6 level characters outright, and magic users probably get chunked into the bargain.

I dunno, but I seriously doubt the rest of the party is good enough to beat that without some discreet DM assistance.

By any chance, does the DM have a habit of making roles where you cant see them? If so hes probably manipulating the results, which all DMs do to some extent, but if your continualy getting screwed it does raise questions. Certainly you should demand to see any dice that result in instadeath.

One other suggestion - dragons and most other major monsters are inteligent and can be negotiated with. If the rest of the party can be restrained long enough the DM should at least let you attempt it.(Do /not/ attempt to intimidate it, be respectful and do not even sound like you think you could take it. If your *very* lucky it may decide to part with some artifact or other) If he instantly goes into "fry uss" mode then you know somethings not right.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:22 PM   #22
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Okay that's just not fair.I agree with Cerek's idea to go witha n evil charecter.I really think the dm is treating YOU unfairly.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 08-20-2002, 06:48 PM   #23
Encard
Quintesson

Umm. Alrighty, I don't have the 3ed monster manual, but... 19,500 XP and 12d6+12 breath weapon damage? Eh... at least in 2ed, that's a Great Wyrm. Any random encounter like that for a dragon is somewhat wierd, but a GREAT WYRM?! *shake* Also, agains at least in 2ed, a breath weapon can only be used one per 3 rounds, and the dragon can't do any other attack during that round... hmm... I like Cerek's idea. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Either that, or, probably better, find a DM who's not quite so evil/crazed/out to get you... *shrug* The rules he has for new chars seem pretty harsh to me as well, but... *shrug*

Hmm... or you can use what this quotation suggests, only slightly modified for you DM...

Dear Regdar,
My friend always roles a wisdom check every time his character is faced with a dilemma then attacks the party when he fails. What should we do?
-- Irritated in Indianapolis

Regdar says that you have a dilemma indeed. Regdar says that you should approach your companion, and explain to him that you find the use of a random die roll to determine his characters action to be frustrating, for it limits the potential for the group to enjoy themselves, and causes undo stress. Then Regdar says you grab his pet, or a family member if he has one, put them on the table and disembowel them, pulling their innards out and plopping them on his lap. Be sure to explain that his actions caused it, and the next time he fails a check it will be his turn. Regdar feels this will make your friend think twice next time.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 08-20-2002, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Encard ]
Old 08-20-2002, 08:19 PM   #24
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Uss your dm sucks. When I first started playing D&D ( back in the late 70's lol) my dm was a dice roller freak. Meaning whatever the dice said was what happened. My main character was a cleric with the worst stats ever played! I was allowed as many henchman as my charisma allowed (at first level lol) and my magic user had a Staff of Wizardry at 2nd level because thats what the dice rolled as treasure! Little good it did me because he thought using spells to kill was cheesy experience and only awarded experince for an actual physical kill. So it was ok to use a sleep spell and have a magic user kill them, but using fireball was cheesy LOL My 5th level(Deck of Many things exp) cleric & party(mostly 2nd level) soon met thier end when he send me to the Steading of the Hill Giants module (for levels 7-9 I think). That was all she wrote, I broke the staff of wizardry in the main hall as my last act of defiance [img]smile.gif[/img] I then rolled up a monk, made it to 2nd level and random encountered a fire giant. I think you can guess the results!

After that I finally got my own books and found out what an idiot I was playing with, but unfortunatly I had moved to another state and couldnt set him straight. Your dm is the same type of idiot I was playing with, get your own books and dm a bit. Then you'll know and can at least ask him what the hell he is doing throwing a dragon at a low level party. Its been a long time but if I was dm'ing that dragon would have EASILY wiped out everyone and thats not much fun if your a low level party with no real chance. Good luck uss!
Old 08-20-2002, 08:21 PM   #25
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

PS-I sure did ramble on didnt I? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 03:34 AM   #26
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

Also, death should be in a game but not happen to the same person all the time, takes the fun out of it.

Having played in one of your game the words Gnome and poisoned lute come to mind! [/QUOTE]Well, we fixed that Gnome up and go in no time eh? hehe.

And the deaths were planned, no suprises at all.. *whistles*

And that Gnome didn´t roll the dice to well, and since you had the appropriate items to bring that Gnome back alive.. well

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-21-2002, 03:48 AM   #27
andrewas
Harper

Uss, try printing out this thread and presenting it to him. If he dosent believe you he can see it from the professionals.

Or he can come here and give his side, cos theres always another side to the story.