Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 01-12-2001, 04:19 PM   #1
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

First confusion I have is with composite bow versus shortbow +1. The shortbow +1 sounds like it doesn't have the accuracy or the damage of the composite bow. The speed of the shortbow +1 may be faster, but it still seems like the composite bow is twice as good. Then I look at the super high price of the shortbow +1 compared to the super cheap composite bow! Which is better to use for my elven ranger?

Second confusion is sling +1 w/bullets +1 versus throwing knives or darts of wounding. Each hit with the sling looks to do about 50% more damage than the throwing knives or darts of wounding (unless they don't save versus death which is rare). Yet the speed factor for the knives/darts is a third of the sling meaning it fires three darts/knives in the time one bullet is fired! IF that was true then the knives/darts would be much better. To me, it doesn't seem like they are much faster at all. Which is better to use for my human mage?

Third and final confusion I have is between the flail +1 versus the morning star +1. The flail costs more but the morning star just SEEMS better (both in the statistics and on the battlefield). Which is better to use for my human cleric?
ArmageddonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 07:40 AM   #2
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

If price were not a factor, I would definetely opt for the composite long bow +1 (it scores even more damage than the Bow of Marksmanship!). Leave the short bow +1 for your thief, at least until you can obtain a better one in BG city

Throwing knives / darts are much faster to fire, true enough, but if you look closely, you can't place them in your 3 ammo slots, ie. those 3 places are wasted. Bullets for the sling, on the other hand, can go there instead. BUT ... special wpns like darts of wounding have an allure all of their own... (especially for enemy mages )

The speed factor and damage range say it all - the morning star +1 is definitely better.
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 02:29 PM   #3
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

Actually I was talking about the normal composite bow. I've neither found nor believe there exists a Composite Bow +1 in Baldur's Gate 1 or TSC. I could be wrong though, and also, my original question on that has been fulfilled by the Bow of Marksmanship you so dislike. Now all I need is the Eagle Bow.

If you can pause the game and enter your inventory and put on more thrown weapons, why the heck does it matter if you can only fit one on at a time?? Oh no! I've lost two inventory spaces!! Whatever shall I do!!! He he, sorry for teasing .

I'd have to fully agree with your morning star idea (one in a row!) I think I'm soon going to change back to the morning star.
Old 01-15-2001, 04:01 PM   #4
Kathen

Actually, you cant pause and go into your invetory, but you still can only use 1 bullet or arrow or anything in your ammo slots at a time, so it does not matter either way.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:58 PM   #5
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

WHAT?!?! Where on earth do you get the idea you can't pause it and go in the inventory! Excuse me, just seems... unobservant to me. For the past... well forever... I have always been able to enter my INV while paused. You do know that pause is space right?

And... uhhhh... I personally, have THREE slots in which I can place ammunition for slings/bows/xbows. Though I only use one at a time, thus forth true... most likely you just presumed that we were refering to usage rather than containment. Oh well, I hope you... double-check, what you seem to percieve Kathen...
Old 01-25-2001, 09:41 AM   #6
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

Just to clarify some points:

1. There IS such a weapon as the Composite Long Bow +1, just check out the Feldepost's Inn / Armoury in Beregost.

2. It's not that I don't like the Bow of Marksmanship; it's just that (relatively speaking) it confers a higher THAC0 bonus of +1 than the Composite Long Bow +1 (CLB +1, for short) but does less damage than the latter (1 point less, to be exact), and vice versa for the CLB +1.

3. I CAN'T (and choose not to) play a multiplayer game in single player mode, ie. for me, there's no pausing while in the inventory screen.
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote