Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2001, 10:52 PM   #1
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

I posted this earlier but it seems there was a glitch with the board. Does anyone know of a non-hacked way to speed up the spell casting process? At the urging of another player (damn you, Rikard! - LOL, just kidding), I am trying to make it through as a mage (with a complete lack of success). Either I or my party becomes deceased due to a combination of low hit points early in the game and taking 2 or 3 arrows/hits before I'm done casting one of those weak level one spells.

Any help will be appreciated.

By the way, my mage's stats are:
STR 12
DEX 14
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 17
CHR 10
IdiotRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 11:47 PM   #2
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

The spell-casting is supposed to take some time (in the form of # no. of rounds, with each round comprising 6s [if I recall correctly] of virtual game time). How much time taken depends on the exact spell being cast. This is not a bug or glitch of the game. Btw, I don't blame you for not getting the AD&D game system; it's quite an elaborate system, if you play the pencil&paper (P&P, in gamer lingo) version you'll get an even bigger headache dealing with other nitty-gritty issues (eg spell components [which are further divided in verbal, somatic , physical blah blah] and where to buy the physical ones etc). I have the advantage of having dabbled in this system for 6+ years so I've a rough idea of what's going on.

In BG, it's harder to play a mage as compared to a fighter class (as you've experienced), but maybe you can try recruiting other fighters early in the game to help your cause. Examples are Montaron, Kiven (High Hedge), Ajantis (north of the Friendly Arm), and of course, Khalid. Later in the game, there's Minsc, Coran (in Chapt 4/5 or later) etc...

Another recourse is to run circles around your opponents and just shoot/pelt them to death - I've tried this countless times to good effect! Good 1st lvl area effect spells are Grease / Sleep, and Web later on.

Good luck!
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 07:56 AM   #3
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Thanks for the help. I was convinced it was just me (usually is). Anyhow, so I don't put my fist through my monitor, I believe I'll go back to being a fighter for now. Once I get the hang of using NPC magi (when I was playing before, I had Xar until he croaked, Edwin for the Nashkel Mines and Dynaheir until disaster struck my computer) I'll try playing as a mage.

On a related topic, since a straight mage cannot wear armor, what combination of robes, belts and bracers will afford the most protection? I don't need locations of them, just what for which to keep my eyes open (it would be tempting to use a 'hack' to get a mage a helmet - one good morning star to the head can really ruin a mage's day, so I've noticed).
IdiotRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 10:47 AM   #4
Sherpa Doug
Dungeon Master

Try to give your new mage proficientcy in a ranged weapon. Keep him away from those Morningstars! For defence look for bracers of defence, cloaks of protection and various girdles. When you get enough money the robe of the Archmagi is good. Eventualy you should get boots of speed. There is no defence like not being there when bad things happen!

Sherpa Doug
Sherpa Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 10:18 PM   #5
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

Yup, I agree with Sherpa Doug (except for the Boots of Speed part; I normally reserve that for my thieves or fighters). Rings of protection are also useful, btw. In general, keeping the AC of your mage low is a plus, but then your mage shouldn't be in the front-line of battle in the first place! Keep him/her out of enemy contact whenever possible, and rely on spells like Mirror Image / Invisibility as a last resort.
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote