Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default RIFT - Has anyone here tried it?

I'm tempted, but as I'm now one of the guild leaders of my raiding guild Godz of War (yes I have improved from my noob days) it's been hard for me to find the time to check it out.

The main site is HERE.

Anyone check it out yet (either live or beta)? If so, any first impressions? Is it going to be *the* WoW killer? Particularly interested in:
  • class balance
  • learning curve
  • quest attractiveness
  • game mechanics
  • social aspect
  • raids (if anyone has done them)
  • PvP

Comments welcome!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: RIFT - Has anyone here tried it?

Apparently, it's supposed to be a really good WoW-clone that makes no bones about being so. I have no issue with that personally, but then I think, why play something in its infancy when I already have WoW that has evolved over years? I guess one answer is I may want to play something else - being modelled after the most sucessful MMO of all time is not a bad thing, but I am stopping short of paying for it right now. Gonna wait for the free trial but I do plan to check it out - or if someone has buddy keys to hand out i'll take 'em.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

It's a wow-clone through and through, but not in the usual negative way.
While it's been said a few times before, it truley is the best MMO-Launch i've seen (And i've been there for the WoW/Aion/Guild Wars/Warhammer/LOTRO/DCUO launches)

The Gamespot review pretty much sums it up (Normally I disagree with Gamespot, but they were spot on this time) it has all the usual room to improve, but it's not necessarily lacking anything to make it fun, though as usual, the verdict on end-game content will be interesting.

I got my first month free, and am kinda stuck into EVE at the moment, but rift looks like something I could muck around in, in my spare time.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Anyone playing it yet? I started the trial and like it alot, but I am kind of overwhelmed by the many sub class and class trees. The manual is useful but not practical.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

So, RIFTERs...nearly six months since my OP and I'm curious about its longevity. Anyone here still actively playing it?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It's quickly falling in popularity and subscribers. Provided a nice burst of newness from WoW but is lacking in end-game content and polish. For me, the graphics were its downfall. Kinda like WAR and DDO - everything is washed-out, faded looking. They did a great job at cloning the myriad nuances in WoW, from the shortcuts to the UI behavior - it just doesn't look as pretty. A nice diversion but only that, I fear. Still, it came closer than any other MMO in recent years and for that it deserves praise.