Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 06-27-2002, 08:41 AM   #1
--Twilight--
The Magister

Hello,
what does everyone think is preferrable as a more effective and capable character, all things considered, a fighter/ druid or a
ranger cleric?

- Twilight
Old 06-27-2002, 09:11 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think the ranger/cleric gets the nod. The ranger/cleric gives you better spell selection AND undead turning capability, but suffers from severe weapon restrictions. The fighter/druid has only druidic spells, no undead turning capability, and only marginally better weapon selections. The fighter/druid DOES get the full range of druid spells however.

If you can ONLY choose one, take the ranger/cleric. If you have room for TWO characters, take both. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
--Twilight--
The Magister

Senior Foehammer,
you're right, it is a close call. I think that the cleric is better than the druid. I have another cleric, though, so I might be missing out on a few decent spells. I still don't think that the ranger is as great a deal as they ought to be - some would choose a straight fighter over a straight ranger. First, everyone ought to be able to dual wield, second, the ranger ought to get some significant abilities (i.e., 3 proficiency slots, grand mastery in bows, access to all druid spells at half the rate, lower half mage spells, the greater whirlwind ability - I digress.....). The only weapon advantage, really, for the druid is the use of scimitars, which isn't much.

What's the BIG difference between a scimitar and other swords, maces and clubs, shortbows and longbows? Right!

So, you agree that the cleric has better spells than the druid? I would have to agree. Wouldn't be too much use for shapechanging if one were multiclassed with a fighter class....

- Twilight
Old 06-28-2002, 03:06 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Twilight, if as you say you do have another cleric then I'd go with a straight fighter (I think 2nd edition AD&D rangers aren't the best; loved the 1st edition!)and consider a gnome cleric/illusionist. This is a GREAT support character.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 03:14 PM   #5
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

RAngers got the short end of the stick in 3E as well. Anyway one cleric is enough for an IWD party. You could have a dual-classed fighter/druid in your party. I had one with a cleric/ranger and they both rocked. For a Cleric/Ranger choose 'Skeletal' Undead as racial enemy and proficiency in blunt weapons. Together with divine spells and Turn Undead you'll have an undead killing machine.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 03:50 PM   #6
Theoden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm new at this game, but I'd like to have the fighter/druid. I'd already have a cleric and a paladin.
Theoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 04:21 PM   #7
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Druids also get really powerful in HoW.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 12:47 PM   #8
ASH SAYS:
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am going to have to go with the Druid/FIG. (with HOW) The offensive spells that the druid gets with the HOW expansion more then makes up for turning undead. Using Sun scorch, Moon barrier, Sol searing orb and Static charge, will decimate most group of undead. Plus the druids AOE spells are more numerous and deadlier then any thing in the Cleric book of tricks. One last thing is that the armor restrictions are lifted when you multi-class with druid. (Large shield instead of buckler) My current group has both fig/Druid and a single class cleric. I find this the best combination.
ASH SAYS: is offline   Reply With Quote