Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-31-2003, 07:03 PM   #21
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Boutte:
a good scary movie doesn't have to resort to that (startling moments) evert 5 minutes. Same for guts and gore. A good scary movie plays with your base fears and uses them to scare the shit out of you, like in Poltergiest when the clown doll drags the kid under the bed. What kid hasn't been terrified because he just KNOWS there's something under the bed or in the closet?
Poltergeist is absolutely another one on my list thanks for reminding me.

Remember, I didn't say it's what I prefer in a scary movie, I said it's what gets me.

I agree completely though about the guts and gore though because it doesn't do anything for me.

[ 10-31-2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-31-2003, 07:08 PM   #22
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I have answered this one before [img]smile.gif[/img]

The scariest movie ever has to be the original Nightmare on Elm Street - particularly when watched in a large strange old wooden house with shutters and creaks and a huge lightning storm doing the special effects. When you can have the shutters slam open and the storm billow the curtains over the poor huddled masses shivering on the couch all accompanied with lighning and immediate thunder at all of the choicest parts of the film; when you can follow the film with a blackout and you don't know where the candles are kept; when you wake up and the house is creaking and moving around you and you don't know where you are or where the bathroom is; when every flash of lightning reveals a shadow of menace and the film music keeps playing on and on in your head - then you have seen the scariest movie ever [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 10-31-2003, 07:12 PM   #23
Azimaith
Manshoon

Alien.

Im no fan of these idiotic new slasher flicks where womens breasts must be exposed at least once and copius gore and blood should spray. They always show too much too early not to mention surprise moments are not what makes a scary movie.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Old 10-31-2003, 07:28 PM   #24
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

How could I have forgotten Aliens? That is one scary freakin' movie, not to mention the final panty scene for us (at the time) prepubescent horno's.

D2.... Stop scaring me! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 07:33 PM   #25
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Huh - me - what did I do Ronn
Old 10-31-2003, 08:41 PM   #26
Niadh
Elminster

I find small moments good. But I watched Ring last night. The only part of shock was the out of TV bit. The sights of people with the look of horror on their dead faces was a nice touch. As someone said, Event Horizon is disturbing, not scary.

When I was like 4 or 5 I watched the start of T2- that scared me. I saw people dying, robots killing etc. I was young before I get any funny looks. I know find many horror movies predictable, "oh dear I need to go outsdie on the stormy night while the murderer is about town" signals dumbass dying. And dark corners are hiding spots. Always.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 10-31-2003, 08:52 PM   #27
Nerull
Lord Ao

• The Exorcist: one of the best. Still creeps me out
  • The Shining (Jack Nicholson version): only thing that detracts from that one is how absolutely annoying Shelly Duvall was. I was kind of hoping she'd be the one to get an axe in the torso...
  • The Omen: I like the first one the best, but the entire series has its moments
  • Poltergeist: though not as scary as it was for me as a child, it still is good
  • Alien: a definite classic
  • Jaws: I really do not consider this a true horror movie, but it is a great movie overall, and has plenty of scary things (the best thing that ever happened was Speilberg not getting the mechanical shark to work through most of the shooting)
  • Nightmare on Elm Street: first movie only, before they turned it into a comedy series
  • The Thing: love the claustrophobic feel of that movie
  • Salem's Lot: not as good as when I was a kid, but there are some genuinely scary moments in that one
  • The Howling: first one only (turned into a joke after that)
  • Night of the Living Dead: first version was solid, the second needs to have every copy ever made burned
  • Halloween: make sure to watch it every year around this time
  • Psycho: original only. A classic, though has not held up as well as some movies on this list.
I'm sure I'm leaving a few off. If you can't tell, I like the older stuff best (the "jump out and scare me" stuff only works a few seconds; I like stuff that is suspenseful). Funny thing is, I saw most of these as a kid (my mother loved horror movies, and she raised me to like them, too).

I have not seen The Haunting or The Other, but have heard nothing but good things about them both. I can't find them for rent at the local video stores (I can find the NEW version of The Haunting, but that sucks other than Catherine Zeta-Jones, and of course I am not talking about her acting ), and never see them listed on the TV schedule.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 10-31-2003, 09:05 PM   #28
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Salemn's Lot the book scared the crap out of me, but the movie with David Soul only makes me giggle. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

How could I forget(again) Halloween, and The Howling.

Nightmare On Elm Street was scary, but the rest of the series turned me off.

[ 10-31-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:40 PM   #29
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I think The Exorcist has to have top honors in my book re scariest.

When the first Evil Dead came out and I watched it on video, it really creeped me out LOL.

Oh and the FIRST Trilogy of Terror (with Karen Black), definitely can't count that out! The second one they made a few years ago was OK, but just not the same as the first one.

Also there was this one movie I saw a looong time ago, haven't seen it in ages, it was just a TV movie, called Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark. Anyone see that? It was an older movie, probably made in the late 70's. People move into a house, and the fireplace is all bricked in, so they un-brick it (of course) and end up freeing these little monsters that were in it LOL.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:51 PM   #30
Jorath Calar
Harper

Oh, I saw Gremlins in theater when I was 10... I didn't sleep for many many nights... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and recently I also saw One Hour Photo, it is not really a horror movie, but just that there is probably a human being as sad as the poor guy scared the crap out of me