Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-31-2002, 06:49 PM   #1
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Heh, I just heard this on ESPN News. This isnt excaley what the guy said, but its close. Keep in mind THESE ARE NOT MY WORDS...

--------

Segenal (sp?) beat France today, one of the biggest upsets in sports history...I ask you this:

Who Cares? Certaintly not Americans. Most continets are crazy over soccer. Asia, South America, Eroupe, Africa, most of the countrys on those continets love soccer. Why dont americans?

Because, plain and simple, we have more entertaining sports then soccer. We have, Basketball, Baseball, Footbal, Hockey. We get to see Barry Bonds chase down the HR record. We get too see Shaq rattle around the rim, we get to see Kurt Warner through a spiral 60 yards for a touchdown, we get to see Mike Modano finess his way to the net.

Or we get to see a sport where there is alot of passing and alot of times ends up in nothing more then a tie.

And Americans are soppoused to feel guilty about not watching the sport that binds the globe together.

Should we? No we shouldnt feel anymore guilty about then we should about not using the metric system.

Americans, as a whole, just dont give a hoot about Soccer. Beside, we have the Laker Girls to watch.

------

Bring the flames on!!
Old 05-31-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, although I don't actually watch the sport, but as an Englishman I feel I ought to point out that football is the single most watched and most popular sport in the planet, so [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Oh and also if we have cable we can still watch all the american sports as well, if they fit into the busy football schedule, although luckily I don't have to worry coz I don't watch sports. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 06:58 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

So are you saying this is what that commentator said? What a collossal jerk!

No wonder people in Europe hate us.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-31-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, and for the record, *I* like soccer, and I know a LOT of people here who do as well. I'm sure all the Dallas Sidekicks fans would just LOVE to get their hands on that a-hole.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-31-2002, 07:01 PM   #5
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

No wonder people in Europe hate us.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who resented Americans for not being big 'traditional' followers of football. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 07:06 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I'm very catholic about what professional sports that I hate: Football, baseball, socccer, tennis, you name it, I don't watch it. But, bravo to those that do. I will admit to being puzzled about why soccer isn't more of a big deal, here, when all of the kids play.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:08 PM   #7
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

but saz there are also people in europe who like american football.it just doesn't mean that there are alot of them.i'm glad that we are not like the rest of the world when it comes to sports.most of us WANT to be different from the rest of the world.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Lioness
Jack Burton

pish tosh, I think Soccer/football's a fine sport, I happen to not watch much soccer, football, basketball or hockey...But I won't get into a debate about baseball now.

Though I don't find any 'American' sport (besides baseball) any more or less exciting than soccer. *shrugs*
Old 05-31-2002, 07:15 PM   #9
Vlad Tepes
Dungeon Master

As a brazilian soccer-lover i think i should share my opinion in this reply...
I never met someone that resents north-americans cuz they don't like soccer, and i'm sure that if they really didn't like it they wouldnt have organized an World Cup back in '94 (a world cup that Brazil won, by the way, hehehe), further more, as it has been said before u guys have a lot of sports with stars and great teams, just like soccer.
But if u are mad about the ESPN comentator u really shouldnt stress it out too much cuz Korea and Japan have just started the World Cup so u probably gonna hear that from ESPN lots of time again. =]
Dont be so harsh with other people's opinion they got the same right as you do to complain about something they dont like, but it doesnt mean we should disrespect their opinion only because they are from a different culture, anyway, good luck to Brazil in this World Cup.

PEACE
Old 05-31-2002, 07:18 PM   #10
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

This guy obviously made a personal statement. I don't care if he doesn't like soccer but to speak for an entire nation is somewhat odd. How can he now what his fellow Americans think, even if the majority doesn't like the game.
Besides, saying that one sport is more entertaining then the other is in the eye of the beholder.