Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2003, 12:34 PM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

ok, so i was plannig a nice and smooth elvish sweetheart cleric/ranger...
tanking her through the whole saga...well, i just wanted to know if they are really worth playing. i heard they are cool and that they can cast druid spells also...but is that only druid spells up to the level where a ordinary ranger could have also, or do the druid spells follow in level with the cleric?
i also want to know how i should play this girl...what are the tactics that make her rock?

i was planning this party:

I
Kelsey (is he a good choice. by the way?)
Keldorn (who else would carry that sweet Carsomyr?)
Imoen (she´s fun and kinda important for the story)
Minsc (need i comment?)
Anomen (him fighting over me with kelsey ), later on exchanged to Soulafein

in ToB ill exchange minsc for Mr S, probably...
Is this a good line-up, or am i missing out on something here?

Should i simply scrap the whole idea and go for a archer instead?

[ 09-26-2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Tyrion ]
Old 09-26-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Cleric/Ranger's rock !

Dualwield and kick butt.
Flail of Ages, Mace of Disruption, Crom Faeyr, Fulcrum (Item Upgrade Mod), ...
Ironskins, Insect Plague, Nature's Beauty, Fire Storm, Creeping Doom, ...

I once played solo and no summons on Insane. Here I am in TOB in the first pool battle - Ascension. Still waiting ...
Old 09-26-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
...but is that only druid spells up to the level where a ordinary ranger could have also, or do the druid spells follow in level with the cleric?
The Cleric half means that each level of spells gets activated.
And the Ranger half means that the Druid spells are available.
Result: As soon as your Cleric half reaches the EXP level that opens up the next level of spells, all spells of that level are available to you. So a Ranger/Cleric can cast spells like Nature's Beauty and Creeping Doom even sooner than a pure Druid could.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
So a Ranger/Cleric can cast spells like Nature's Beauty and Creeping Doom even sooner than a pure Druid could.
Actually Six, the pure druid would have access to higher level spells faster than the cleric. Up to level 6, the fast part of the Druid exp table is in effect, and it takes less exp as a druid than a cleric to reach each level. For level 7 spells, the cleric needs less exp, but in the case of a ranger/cleric, only half of the exp earned will go to the cleric part, so a pure class druid will break into level 7 long before the multiclass (based on the table's found in your BG guide)
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

It is a tad tank-heavy. Perhaps you will want to tool up Minsc, Ano and Mr. S for flank-attack/missile duty.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
i was planning this party:

I
Minsc (need i comment?)

in ToB ill exchange minsc for Mr S, probably...
Is this a good line-up, or am i missing out on something here?

If the idea intrigues you, then definitely go for it! That makes the game that much more fun.

Ranger/Clerics are solid. Another poster threw out some weapon suggestions, but do not overlook the Defender of Easthaven as well.

If you really want Kelsey and Anomen fighting over you, by all means add them and keep them in the party the whole way. This gives you 2 clerics, which is a ton of healing and other spells. In fact, you can concentrate more on the druid spells, and let Anomen handle more of the cleric spells. Kelsey is a sorcerer; make sure you read up on the threads about sorcerer spell selection before you add him. Any sorcerer is definitely worth it in this game!

Imoen just fits with the whole thing from a roleplaying standpoint, and she provides the thieving and magery to complement Kelsey nicely. Adding Minsc and Keldorn to this party works wonders, especially if you like playing the game "tank heavy" (go up and bash stuff, and hold onto spells for the tougher encounters); you, Keldorn, Minsc, and Anomen are all good at tanking. In this system, I would almost certainly give Minsc a bow and let him do missile support for this party. I would also take Yoshimo until you get Imoen, for plot purposes, but also because with both Kelsey and Keldorn tearing down enemy defenses you should have no problem with only having Kelsey as your mage. If you really want to roleplay, then go get Imoen relatively early. If you are absolutely insistant on having ToB NPC, then get rid of either Keldorn or Minsc to get him.

Good party concept. Just play and enjoy.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
rhapsody407
Manshoon

is ranger/mage/cleric a possible triclass or no? FMC is one, so i was just wondering.
rhapsody407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:32 AM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by rhapsody407:
is ranger/mage/cleric a possible triclass or no? FMC is one, so i was just wondering.
Nope. Only ranger/cleric.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 02:35 PM   #9
IronDragon
Elminster

Ranger/Clerics are IMO the class with the most potential power in the game. No limits on armor/helms/gauntlets and the like in addition to being able to dual wield some of the most powerful weapons of the game. Imagine a tank with ironskin and armor of faith and a half dozen other buffs.

Quote:
I
Minsc (need i comment?)
Personally I can’t stand Kelsey, I don’t think he is well integrated into the game and he makes Aerie look good. But to each his own.

My only other issue with your party composition is that when you have both Keldorn and Anomen remember there is only one gauntlets of dexterity.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:42 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
Actually Six, the pure druid would have access to higher level spells faster than the cleric. Up to level 6, the fast part of the Druid exp table is in effect, and it takes less exp as a druid than a cleric to reach each level. For level 7 spells, the cleric needs less exp, but in the case of a ranger/cleric, only half of the exp earned will go to the cleric part, so a pure class druid will break into level 7 long before the multiclass (based on the table's found in your BG guide)
Okay, so he does make mistakes sometimes..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Pure Druid with 3,150,000 EXP: Level 16, with 6 Level 7 slots
Ranger/Cleric with 3,150,000 EXP: Levels 13/15, with 1 Level 7 slot