Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-03-2004, 06:46 PM   #21
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I am really impressed, Alex [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . Good luck with it! Hopefully we can chat soon and you can fill me in on all your entrepeneurial activities [img]smile.gif[/img] *hugs*
Old 09-03-2004, 07:07 PM   #22
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Thanks for asking, Ross. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've just paid for advertising and search engine submission software which will give me over five million hits every month - these will be from both ordinary users as well as companies wanting to advertise. With those sorts of those numbers, it's very attractive to a company looking to get search engine traffic from me. As I said, just $25 would get them to the top of my listings. Now say they pay that and get 5,000 interested visitors from my search engine. If 5% of those go on to buy from their site, they'd be making hundreds in profits, so the $25 they paid me is more than worth it to them. They get full access to the stats through their own account page. Get it? [img]smile.gif[/img]

And no, I didn't design the site. It was created a while back, and has been built up over time. I'm just taking it over now and really pushing it, because the potential of it is through the roof. I'll buy you a new I-River MP3 player once I'm a millionaire. Promise.

EDIT: Thanks Mel, I appreciate the kind words. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-03-2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 09-04-2004, 07:37 AM   #23
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ha, when I searched HiveTyrant, I got the old forum, oh well, apart from that, I will use this site, for all my searching.
Very nice work Aledrian.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:56 AM   #24
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

It looks really good. I will try to use it instead of Google.

One thing i miss though, the calculator that google has. You know the one, you type "25 inches in centimeters" and it calculates it for you. Will you be adding such a function?

I did a search for "universal poplab" and the first thing to come up is a link to Sub space records, which is their record lable. Nowhere to be found however was www.universalpoplab.com which is their official homepage. Google does the same thing and it annoys me since I'm trying to increase the traffic. Would it be possible to make www.universalpoplab.com the first hit?

Otherwise it looks very nice, keep up the good work!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:41 AM   #25
LennonCook
Jack Burton

As much as I would like to use it, I can see one or two niggling problems with it.
Firstly, it has almost as much advertising as Altavista once did... well, OK, it's not as bad as that, but it's still alot of ads.
Secondly, the results aren't as good as other search engines. I tried "C++ Tutorial", in LookSprint, Google, and Altavista. Looksprint came up with alot of only semi-relevant results: lots of C tutorials. Google's first two pages were filled with just C++ tutorials, or generally C++ related sites (and cplusplus.com , Google's first result, was near the bottom of LookSprints). Ofcourse, LookSprint is still better than what Altavista came up with: millions of sponsered links (barely any of which were relevant), and other than that not much.
And then, Looksprint mangled my search a bit: click onto the second page, and I loose the +'s. Look at the URL, and instead of C%2B%2B+tutorial , as it was on the first page, it became c+++tutorial. Neither google nor altavista did that.

If you can manage to fix atleast the last two problems, I will definately use it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2004, 05:38 PM   #26
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Lennon, the "ads" are integrated content which I receive commissions on, they're not sponsored links. 95% of it is built-in, like the shopping mall and games, for example. It's all home-page stuff that I would have to offer either way. If you think my engine has ads, you wanna check out www.searchgizmo.com - it's sites like this (with a few thousand members) that I'm competing with at the moment, so at this point it's a bit unfair to compare me to a company like Alta Vista.

Thanks for testing though, I'll try and tweak those things you mentioned in the upcoming weeks.