Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #31
ryaldin
Elminster

Vaskez, are you from Spain?
Old 03-30-2004, 09:27 AM   #32
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by ryaldin:
Vaskez, are you from Spain?
No, he's from Hungary.

IMO Metallica have degenerated since their glory days, and now play more commercial music, which I think isn't so good.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:43 PM   #33
spydar

well whatever, I think their new stuff is good (no it's not the same but hey, such is life), I still like them after their Napster incident (though I will continue to download), and remain a Metallica fan.

I am capable of liking something even though it changes.

On a side bar, I'd just like to know how old the people who have become disillusioned with them are? Cause it seems to me that those who are saying they don't like them anymore are older than those who do.

[ 03-30-2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: spydar ]
Old 03-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #34
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
well whatever, I think their new stuff is good (no it's not the same but hey, such is life), I still like them after their Napster incident (though I will continue to download), and remain a Metallica fan.

On a side bar, I'd just like to know how old the people who have become disillusioned with them are? Cause it seems to me that those who are saying they don't like them anymore are older than those who do.
I was pretty much in the same boat as LordKathen. I was in my teens during their peak (11 when their first album came out), had no siblings, and a pretty lousy family life. I'm 33 now, so that's 22 years, so in their defense they changed the same way the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, etc. changed after a time. I would definitely consider both of the above bands to be nowhere near as good as they used to be; I think Metallica did sell out, but mostly because they were getting older, and realized that they could cash in on their music. Do I listen to anything they put out? Definitely not. I despise all of it. Note: each time they come out with a new album, I go by a music store that has a listening station and listen to the whole album. In each case since the black album I have been beyond disappointed. Especially by Garage Days Revisited... [img]graemlins/repuke.gif[/img]

I think what makes their former fans turn against them so quickly is the way they changed. The Rolling Stones were a gradual change over time. No problem there, you just adapt to the new direction or bail out on them. Aerosmith had pretty much vanished from the scene (they were all in rehab), then came back after years away as a completely new band. Once again, easier to accept the change, considering that they were away a while. But Metallica had just come off a very successful album (Black album), which was their most successful to date. Suddenly, they put out an album that sounded exactly like all of the other corporate-backed garbage that was out at the time. Out of nowhere. No warning. You ran out to get Load, and what you got was an load of generic, cookie-cutter B.S.

However, what really made it bad was their attitude up to that point. Metallica was all about putting up the middle finger to corporate America. They would go out on tour for two years supporting an album. They were under constant pressure to put out more albums, but they pretty much ignored the pressure and went out to play just because they wanted to. That's why the Napster incident bothered the older fans so much; this was a band that at one point would have simply shrugged and went "hey, if the fans have to download to avoid paying huge amounts for a CD, so be it." Then, within a few years, they come out backing the corporations. From the viewpoint of an older fan, this was selling out in the worst way; even if it wasn't, those who remember them from their early days would see it that way from the way they were talking about it, etc.

So, yes, if you are a younger person, you have no perspective of what the older people are talking about. The only Metallica you know is the newer version. You'll be able to enjoy the music and their shows just fine, because you don't remember them any other way. However, for the older fans that remember the way they used to be, they know that the Metallica that you are singing praises about is merely a shadow of their former selves.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 03-30-2004, 11:55 PM   #35
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Very eloquently put Nerull! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

BTW, Are you refering to the Re-Revisited album? I would agree the first CD is crap, but the second CD is all the old cuts including "Breadfan", which is my personal favorite song they ever did, original or not. (The original band is "Budgie" releasing that song in '72')
The only place you could get it before was the "B-side" of the "And Justice for All" single. I loved that they re-released it on CD. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

Plus the "MotorHead" covers are great!!!

[ 03-31-2004, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 03-30-2004, 11:56 PM   #36
LordKathen

Quote:

32 in April.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:50 AM   #37
spydar

Yes, very nicely put Nerull, I like that you actually explained it in a relatively non-confrontational way.

ya, 22 years of fandom huh? I'll be 21 this year, so that explains my point of view. I have older sibs (many of them) who were all fans of Metallica and that pretty much leaves me exposed to them my entire life. but at the point in time that I would say I was becoming musically conscious, about junior high, it was already too late.

and if they're a shadow of their former self (which I'm not qualified to comment on) then they're still quite a freakin huge shadow!
Old 03-31-2004, 01:25 AM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Metallica, Gods? Erm, no they're not. Last time I checked gods don't sue their fans for swapping their music on the Internet... Or is that their method of smiting heathens?

quote:
ok, all you non-Metallica fans need not reply....
Oops. [/QUOTE]????

Metallica didn't sue any fans. What are you talking about? They sued THEIVES who STOLE their music. Fans would have BOUGHT their music.

Good on Metallica for having the balls to risk unpopularity and stand up for artists who don't have the money or means to defend their copyright.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are stealing music by swapping it without permission, you are not a fan, you are a theif who is screwing the artist and doing your bit to ensure they never record another album again.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 03-31-2004, 02:26 AM   #39
LordKathen

Ok, I am a theif then. They still SUCK compared to the early days. I think that was the point. Metallica use to say F*** You to people like you and what they became.
Dont get me wrong, you are a struggling musician who depends on every dime, I assume. Buy the time Napster came around, they were billionares.

BTW, I have probly 30 or 40 CD's that I would NOT have bought If not for the ability to hear them on Peer-to-Peer first! So you are not always right in your assesment of all who do it are thieves.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:42 AM   #40
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:

BTW, I have probly 30 or 40 CD's that I would NOT have bought If not for the ability to hear them on Peer-to-Peer first! So you are not always right in your assesment of all who do it are thieves.
Thank you...finally someone who thinks like me sorry if it wasn't for sharing I wouldn't own alot of the cd's I do in fact I don't even have any burned cd's 100% store bought cd's but never would of been exposed to some of the bands if i hadn't downloaded some of there stuff first.