Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-19-2001, 12:45 AM   #11
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Where do you find this 3rd ed rule? I know much about the 2nd, but not the third. Is it going to be in bg3??

And I agree that you should have options in how you backstab. You could either go for a direct kill and slit the victims throat with a dagger, and the victim must save vs death at -4 or be killed. If a saving throw is made, you should make x2 or x3 in damage. Or if you chose to knock the victim with a club, the victim should be unconscious unless the victim wears a helmet.

Just a thought.
Old 01-19-2001, 01:53 AM   #12
Unfamiliar Familiar

I cannot understand why anyone who is invisible or hidden doesn't get some kind of bonus. I often turn a fighter invisible to have him setup ready to strike. If he can walk all around in full plate unnoticed till he becomes visible( attacks etc) then why can he not poke his opponent in the throat with a dagger or what not. This has always been a point of annoyance to me.Well that and critically missing an opponent ive made asleep or unconcious. " OHHHHHH take the sword out of the scabbard and THEN wack him ..... DUHH?!?!?

Old 01-19-2001, 03:01 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well, I think one should get XP for nonkilling confrontations, it´s not the death of an opponent who triggers the learning but the fight, the environment the way its done.
For example, a thief gets experience when picking a lock, shouldn´t he just be satisfied with the treasure inside it? Nope, a task that depending on how difficult it is to break the lock, pick it, smah it for a fighter determines the degree of trouble and XP´s the encounter situation is worth.
In the roleplaying world of DoD all games including CRPG´s it is easier to kill your opponent then to disarm him, knock him unconsious i.e a character has to use more strategies to sneak past seven fire elementals than to bring in all the party to throw icestorms and killing the poor buggers, yep, they don´t stand a chans later on in th games..
But well, it might be really hard to trigger this in BG games.
Old 01-19-2001, 03:07 AM   #14
Armisael

Oh, I see where yer coming from. But yer last sentence was right, it's very hard to incorporate an experience system based upon loose factors, and even moreso in a CRPG.

Old 01-19-2001, 04:13 AM   #15
WOLFGIR

Eh? Wahts that suppose to mean? Is it my very nice spelling eh? LOl
Well sorry if I can´t make myself understood but I do try!
Old 01-19-2001, 04:19 AM   #16
Armisael

No, not putting down your spelling...
...it might be really hard to trigger this in BG games.
I was agreeing with that. It'd be nice to gain experience based on something other than how many corpses you've managed to produce, but tough to implement into a CRPG.

Old 01-19-2001, 04:23 AM   #17
WOLFGIR

Eh ok, what did you mean with "Oh, I see where yer coming from" then?? Excuse a slow Swede ok?
Old 01-19-2001, 04:26 AM   #18
Armisael

As in "I understand what you're saying."

Old 01-19-2001, 04:27 AM   #19
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Come to think of it Armisael, backstabbing is very serious. In fact, the opponents should be already knocked down unconscious or even, dead. I don't play thief, maybe never, maybe a swahsbuckler. All i know is that the thief should have this setting open on how to backstab? If it is for slitting someone's throat or only knocking them unconscious.
Old 01-19-2001, 04:29 AM   #20
WOLFGIR

Oh, heh Ok, ..

Well has anyone checked out the 3:rd ed rules yet?
I have and I like them. And well thosse old monsterbooks have been very useful in the game too.. Thats cheating hehe..