Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2000, 02:02 PM   #1
Ziroc

Here ya go, this is where we can discuss all are favorite books.

My Faves are:

The Icewind Dale Trilogy (I wanna buy that awesome hardcover) NICE cover btw..
Escape from Undermountain
Legacy, Starless Night,Siege of Darkness
Silent Blade / The Spine of the World
Darkelf Series
Cormyr - (Theres an old one)
-------
Elfshadow (Reading that now)

Also, I found Pool of Radiance and Pool of Darkness at an old hobbyshop
last month, these are first prints too! from 1988!! You goldbox guys will remember that
both of those were games (good ones.. I LOVED POD) I remember when we'd be taken to Limbo in POD, you
could duplicate all your armor -- I have like 5 Vorpels and full plates

Ziroc
Old 07-03-2000, 05:24 PM   #2
Nick

Thanks for setting up this board Flash Ziroc!
Old 07-09-2000, 02:35 AM   #3
Apok

Yes, all of the Drizzt books are excellent. R.A. Salvatore has done a great job of fleshing out the Drizzt character and his companions. Anything written by Elaine Cunningham is a must read for me (Elfshadow, Elfsong, Silver Shadows, the Magehound, etc...). Also, the Elminster books by Ed Greenwood are great if you're into super-powered magic.

Ziroc, if you've read Cormyr, then you've GOT to read Beyond the High Road. It's the follow-up book to Cormyr, and it is excellent. Let me put it this way; in this book, you find out what can completely unnerve the wizard Vandergahast. There is a third book coming out, Death of the Dragon, which will complete the series (i think).

In short, i don't think there is a bad Forgotten realms novel out there, although Thornhold was a very dissappointing ending to the Harper's Series. Supposedly, Elaine Cunningham had to make that one shorter than she would have liked. Oh well, such is life.

Has anyone read any of the Dragonlance 5th age stuff yet? I'm very curious to see if it's any good. Personally, I think Weiss & Hickman made a terrible mistake in killing off the Heroes of the Lance and basically screwing over the world of Krynn in Dragons of Summer Flame. Any opinions on this? Could be an interesting topic for the boards...

-------------------------
DM to Party: "You see a small flight of blue dragons attacking the keep."
Taz, Minotaur Fighter played by Jimmy: "How many?"
DM: "Roll a d30."
Jimmy: rolls a d30, "15."
DM: "There's 15 of them."
Party as a whole to the DM: draws weapons & readies spells "CHARGE!!!!"
Old 07-13-2000, 07:02 PM   #4
Nick

For anybody who wants to read theyre first fantesy novel I recommend "The Hobbit" written by the father of fantesy J.R.R Tolkien.This book is an absolute MASTERPIECE of english literature.If you want a bit more action then I recomend the first two Dragonlance trilogies ( "Dragons of..." and "... of the twins" ).These books are UNBELIEVIBLE ,with the eception of "Dragons of Winter Night" which is woefull.
"Escape from undermountain" is an amazing book written by Mark Anthony (not the one from Julius Ceasar )which really gives you a glimpse of the enormity of Undermountain and the corrupt nobles of Waterdeep.A definite must buy for people who like dungeon hacks.
"The Crystal Shard"...hmm I dont know what to think of this book.In some parts its all that you ever wanted from a fantesy novel but in other parts it became extreemly boaring.I have bought "Streams of Silver" but have not got around to reading it yet.I hope it will confirm my faith in R.A Salvatore.
At the moment I am reading "The Dream Spheres".It is about these dream spheres (hence the name) that are being sold in Waterdeep.Dream spheres provide the user with one dream of anything they want.People really want to buy these as the dreams are so realistic as dreams tend to be but the sale of them is ileagle.There are also various other plots going on throughout the book but I dont want to give anything away.I can tell you it is shaping up to be a good book.
Ill write again with more stuff about some books.
Old 08-10-2000, 09:36 AM   #5
Erekose
The Magister

My fave books based on AD&D would have had to be the Gord the Rouge series by the Gygax. Of course these were influenced by Fritz Leibers "swords" series which sort of count as AD&D because they did a module on Leibers works. I liked the Elfshadow from the AD&D series. But my fave author would have to be Moorcock. "Blood and souls, blood and souls for Arioch, lord of chaos!". How many players hadn't wished they ended up with a weapon like stormbringer? (of course it killed him but hey it was a runed flaming sword and they look pretty cool).
Erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 02:25 AM   #6
Prime

Hmmm...

I liked the original Dragonlance trilogy fairly well, but after that it seemed like te Dragonlance series ecame too repetitive and...well...immature.
The Forgotten Realms books seem to be better IMO, and they definitely have a lot more wolrd and plots to explore. My favorites from it are all the ones with Drizzt, most anything by Ed Greenwood, and the Twilight Giants (I think?) trilogy. The Harpers books I've read were good as well.

If you want to step up a few levels to some really in depth fantasy, look to George RR Martins "Song of Ice and Fire" Series, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, Orson Scott Card's "Tales of Alvin Maker", and of course Tolkein.

Other favorite authors of mine are Steven Brust, Terry Pratchett (Soul Music is hilarious) and Steven King's Gunslinger series (yes it's fantasy not horror). Orson Scott Card also has the excellent Sci-Fi novel "Ender's Game".