Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-08-2001, 12:28 AM   #1
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeah, so I was just getting the finishing touches on the next two chapter, so I decided to check in here. Well, does anyone know what I mean by the MicroSoft Blue Screen of Death? Yeah. And of course, me being the Knowledgeable, smart, Digital Age, man of the 21st century, I hadn't saved yet. Gone. 7 hours. Most of it is still banging around in my head, but right now, I just want to destroy a certain computer, so I am just going to post this little message, quietly walk out of the lab, and jump out the window. Ok, maybe not. But I am really frustrated with myself and I really don't need to be around computers for the rest of the night, so just wanted to let those of you who care know where I am and why I'm not posting anything tonight.

Later,

BK
Old 03-08-2001, 12:31 AM   #2
sirgwayne

Just to let you know ! "I know your PAIN man"
been there DONE THAT!!!!

------------------

Walk lightly my friend.

[This message has been edited by sirgwayne (edited 03-08-2001).]

Old 03-08-2001, 01:22 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
Yeah, so I was just getting the finishing touches on the next two chapter, so I decided to check in here. Well, does anyone know what I mean by the MicroSoft Blue Screen of Death? Yeah. And of course, me being the Knowledgeable, smart, Digital Age, man of the 21st century, I hadn't saved yet. Gone. 7 hours. Most of it is still banging around in my head, but right now, I just want to destroy a certain computer, so I am just going to post this little message, quietly walk out of the lab, and jump out the window. Ok, maybe not. But I am really frustrated with myself and I really don't need to be around computers for the rest of the night, so just wanted to let those of you who care know where I am and why I'm not posting anything tonight.

Later,

BK
Oh dear!

BAD BAD computer

( Cloudbringer Whaps the nasty ol' computer with a rolled up newspaper)

That's awful, BK. You need your librarian-archivist.

CloudLibrarian

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-08-2001, 01:28 AM   #4
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Awww, I'm sorry that happened to you, BK! Unfortunately I'm very familiar with the BSOD... Used to have a sign on my 'puter that said, "Save It!" Didn't help much though! Had to learn my lesson the hard way like you did (when I was doing desktop publishing, MS's Publisher auto-saves every ten minutes... Saved my bacon a few times!) Anyhow, you might snoop around the tmp files... (do a text search for unique key words from the story). Most write-apps do a temp file of some sort for just this kind of situation... Good luck!

If you get hits from your search, back em up and try changing the extension from .tmp or whatever) to .doc, .rtf, or .txt. Again, good luck!

------------------
Old 03-08-2001, 03:00 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

CHANT WITH ME! BLUE SCREEN OF DEAtH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! AlL HAIL TO THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!
Man, I do know that feeling, one of my Desktop Publisher teacher told us al valuable lesson once,; always keep two copies, nd save, sae, save, save, save, save, save, regulary! And yes, save very often, so you don´t forget to save.. Well a bit naggy perhaps, but he got the message through our thick headds after awhile, not that he needed to say anything, all thoose dark hours without sleep trying to catch up on lost material was enough.. Check the autsoave, tmp files, and rtf´s as mention above..

And hey! I´m very sorry! I hope you will find it!

------------------

::HOWLING WOLFGIR THE MAD WOLF::
Old 03-08-2001, 07:11 AM   #6
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Seven hours ? That is really a tough break, BK !

I do not know if it is any consolation to you, but in my experience whenever I was forced to rewrite something because of technical problems, after overcoming the frustration, the second version turned out to be significantly better than the first.

With that I do not want to suggest that your first version had not already been very good.

Keep spoiling us with your tales, please !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-08-2001, 07:36 AM   #7
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Man sorry to hear that BK.

------------------
Old 03-08-2001, 07:53 AM   #8
Gray Mage
Banned User

BK: That is the worst thing to see, I don't know what program you are using, but I know that word has an auto save option. That has saved me more times than I can count.

Sorry to hear that you have been visited by the nemisis of all that is good.

------------------

Feel My Power
Old 03-08-2001, 09:40 AM   #9
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks, all. I usually do know better, but it has been so long since I worked on something that was longer than 4-5 pages that I am just out of practice with the whole save business. I checked the autosave option on the Microsoft Word. Turned off, of course. Grrrrrrrr. Oh well. Hopefully, I can redo it to the same affect. We shall see.

Later,

BK
Old 03-08-2001, 09:44 AM   #10
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

A small advice, use notepad or wordpad instead. Tehy don´t "die" as often and with wordpad you still can edit your text and it´s faster too..

I don´t use word at all, i hate that program! I set your texts i received in InDesign.. and made a PDF of it.. I hope you will like it when you can see it *damn server!*

------------------

::HOWLING WOLFGIR THE MAD WOLF::