Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-07-2001, 12:10 AM   #51
Kalgrog

Ack! Am I the only one on this board reading George R. R. Martin?!

Listen guys, if you haven't picked one of his new books, DO SO! They are awesome (in the true sense of the word). He has created his own world with great intricacy and depth (albeit he draws heavily upon history and myth, but who doesn't). His books are very akin to Tolkien in that magic is not the main thread as in many other modern favorites. There is just a hint here or a mention there of magic and the unexplainable. And, the books are so realistic (as to reality-like events)! No one is safe in his books--good guys, bad guys. Everyone dies! Some of it is horribly unfair to certain families and characters in the story--as so often is real life.

The best thing about his writing is that it is fresh! The chapters keep you going at a mindnumbing pace. I just finished the third book and dread the year to a year and a half wait for the next release! The story is entitled A Song of Ice and Fire. Book one: A Game of Thrones. Book two: A Clash of Kinds. Book three: A Storm of Swords. These books blow Jordan out of the water. I got A Storm of Swords at the same time as Winter's Heart (Jordan's latest), and there was no question about which I would read first. I finished Martin's in a week (btw each book is almost 1,000 pages long) and it has been two weeks into Jordan's book and I am only 1/3 of the way through.

You do yourself and injustice if you don't give Martin a try.

Old 01-07-2001, 12:11 AM   #52
Chaos Harlequinn

Just wanted to add that it was Elizabeth, not Meredith Gibbens.