Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-05-2001, 09:43 PM   #21
Chaos Harlequinn

Ah yes, but Elrond was not a sorceror. The only true "Magicians" of Middle Earth were the five Istari (who weren't even really OF Middle Earth). Elrond was more of a sage...the wise old elven guide if you will. Although it's also very important to keep in mind that using the word "old" when speaking of Elrond is a HUGE understatement. Elrond was alive when the Valar still walked Middle-Earth..and this time dates back all the way to the first age. On a sidenote, its also fairly interesting that Elrond was not always elven. He was orignally a Peredhil (half-elven), and at the end of the great battle (which in turn led to the end of the first age) Elrond was given the option to choose between Mortality (Edain, or human) or Elven. He chose elven and was made an Eldarin lord. Kind of neat to be able to choose your race... BTW, does anyone know who will be playing the part of Elrond? Thanks for listening.

Old 01-05-2001, 09:49 PM   #22
Migosh

I should stop being so dam quiet on this forum.. anyway

When I first heard about A lord of the Rings movie I thought it was going to suck. Straight off, I mean really how could they pull it off? (im a huge fan by the way). I thought they would probobly try and squish it down into a nice neat 2 hour movie and add different dialogues extra pathetic humur and cut back on the violence for a nice "family movie".. The basic things that most movie producers do when making a film from a book. But when I read into it I was pleasently surprised, 3 movies hell yeah! and yes the trailor made me drool as well. I played it many a times in the past coulpe of months and still can't delete it from my hard drive.

I heard its going to be filmed in New Zealand as well. And for anyone who has read the book and been to New Zealand would thinking its a very fitting place to film it. They are going to changes things though, The director Peter Jackons said "its an interpretaion of the book.. not a remake" or something along those lines.

They are going to cut out the small plot with Tom Bombadil. I expected this since it can be cut out with no major problems to the main storyline, Also they are going to give Sauron more of a "villins" roles in the movie.. in other words he will not be "unseen" like i the book.

The worst thing about the movies is the fact that so many who are too lazy to read the book will never see its greatness if the movie satisfys them. Alas the next generation of children will proboly mroe likely know the Lord of the Rings as a great movie and not a book, it was inevitalbe though I suppose.

Old 01-05-2001, 09:53 PM   #23
Migosh

Elrond is being played by Hugo Weaving.... "Agent Smith" from the Matrix.

Old 01-05-2001, 10:04 PM   #24
Chaos Harlequinn

The last post by Migosh really disturbed me. Specifically the part pertaining to Sauron. The whole basis of the series was the fact that Sauron wasn't really a corporeal entity. In fact, the only time that it is even eluded to that Sauron had a distinct form was when Aragorn (and Pippin, unfortunately) tried talking to him through the Palantiri. If he is made out to be a large fighter in Black armor with a huge two-handed sword or something like that i will be extremely dissapointed to say the least. Excuse me, i must now go sulk....

Old 01-05-2001, 10:06 PM   #25
Chaos Harlequinn

Thanks for the input Migosh...I appreciate it. BTW, Agent Smith...that should be interesing...lol.

Old 01-05-2001, 10:37 PM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Has anyone else seen the film adaptation of Beowulf?

Good point rip. but we'll never know how accurate Tolkein's descriptive language was in conveying what he saw in his head. Mind you his love was for words, and in particular the sound and shape of words, so the odds are the master craftsman was on the money.

I just know from the many artistic people I've met, that completely replicating intent is a very difficult task indeed. It seems it does happen though.

Points taken on Bombadill guys. Fair enough. I suppose Squirrels point re. the time it'd take in watching the film is the problem there.

And Kalgrog, no offense taken bro. Glad you whacked me on the head. I'd hate to depress anyone.

BTW who are Sooners OU and FSU?
Old 01-06-2001, 01:34 AM   #27
Migosh

I didn't mean to disturb anyone. I got all the informations from http://www.theonering.net/movie/faq/ There is a HEAP of information and the exact changes they are planning and all this other stuff. I agree about Sauron though, theres always more fear of the unseen. Read through the FAQ on this page to prepare yourself for certain dsiapointments I say. The movie still seems like it will be great though.

And yeah Agent Smith does have sort of an Elven face if you use your imagination. I reckon it might work well.

Old 01-06-2001, 02:37 AM   #28
Acid
Welcomed New User

There are many theories to what/who Tom Bombadil was. One at http://www.cas.unt.edu/~hargrove/bombadil.html

About the importance Tolkien has been of to the fantasy genre: He invented the genre. The Hobbit was written as a result of his immense interest in languages - to an extent where he invented a language of his own. He then started his work on a world where this language could be used. The Hobbit was released in 1937. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil was released even earlier. He had used old folksaga and believes combined with his own imagination to put together this world.
It's been easy for later writers to use Tolkien's work as a background to write on. This could justify to call Tolkien the gratest fantasy author ever - he did it from scratch.

Someone stated that Lord of The Rings was publised in 1977. This cannot be correct since Tolkien died in 1973 and that was some 20 years after LOtR was published. Silmarillion was published after his death, by his son.
Old 01-06-2001, 02:56 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Oh come on. One man did not invent such a genre. Myths and legends have been part of humankind since before recorded history. Tolkeins elves and dwarves were based on Deutch mythical beings. The Celts had elf like Sidhe as well.

For a start C.S.Lewis and he were in the same circle of writers "The Inklings" and shared ideas. Check a C.S.Lewis map alongside a Tolkein one and you'll find similar place names for a start.
Old 01-06-2001, 02:59 AM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Also according to C.S.Lewis, George MacDonald was writing long before those two and influenced them both.