Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-29-2002, 06:38 PM   #1
The Cavalier
Manshoon

I want to thank everybody for their help with installing the Bonus CD Merchant mod. Now, about these ones...

As I've stated in other posts, I'm going to be starting a multiplayer game with a friend soon. I'll probaly uninstall and reinstall BG2 before we start (cause I think I've thrown a lot of junk into the various directories so I need to remove it all), and these are the mods we're gonna use:

1.) Official Patch [from Ironworks]

2.) Baldurdash Fixpack

3.) Xp Cap remover [from the Ironworks site] (I might be adding ToB soon, so any advice on if I can do the BG2 patch now, and the ToB patch later would be helpful).

4.) Shut Up "You must gather your party before venturing forth" patch. [From Baldurdash* webpage]

5.) Extended Spell Tables [From Baldurdash]

6.) Universal Ioun stones [From Baldurdash]

7.) Bonus CD Merchants [from Baldurdash]

8.) Valen's Anti-Paladin kit (This does not take effect until you start a new game, right?)

9.) Multiple strongholds Mod (where can I find this?)

Now, I've learned that you have to install the Bonus CD Merchants into the BG2 directory, not the override directory. So, which of these mods do I install where?

10.) Also, What happens if I install all of these, and then want to install Throne of Bhaal? Do I have to re-install any of these?

11.) Also, How do I save my game file so that If I do the re-install now, I can continue my current game?

12.) And finally, What mods would you all recomend, and where can I get them? Like Irenicus' improved dungeon and stuff. Please remember, he's a rookie. (I was thinking the improved dragons mod, because after Firkragg, they all seemed kinda easy.)

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

*http://members.rogers.com/mrkevvy/tweaksandcheats.html

[ 11-29-2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: The Cavalier ]
The Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Its probably easier to install ToB now rather than later. If nothing else, youll save on having to download both fixpacks.

Anyway. Install the official patch and then the fixpack. You now have what is generaly considered the standard version of BG2. What I do is copy dialogue.tlk, chitin.key and my override folder somewhere, so that if a mod does screw one of them up I can simply replace them and be back at a stable version.

I would skip the XPcap remover, they tend to screw things up. But a "safe" one is OK I guess. ToB is better though. Install it after the fixpack, along with the rest of the baldurdash tweaks.

Now, some of the SoA tweaks dont work with ToB installed, and kevin hasnt marked which do and which dont. To my knowledge, the bonus merchants and the "shut up" packs work.

I suspect that extended spell tables will screw up since ToB has new spells. Might work, might not. Universal Ioun stones will probably work, but only for the stones in SoA. ToB only stones wont be affected. There may be ToB versions of the tweaks, if so use them instead.

The key point when installing these mods is that the files end up in the override directory. Most zips are set up so that extracting to the BG2 folder will put them in override automaticaly. Certainly all baldurdash ones should work like that, other sources might not. Safest is to extract to a temp folder and copy by hand.

Some mods are more complex. Used to be that installing more than one of those mods was suicide, the files would conflict and youd end up in a mess. Nowadays we have weiDU. To install a weiDU mod, extract it to your BG2 folder, go into the mod folder it just created, and run its install program. Follow the instructions, and let the program take care of the details.

To save your save-files, simply copy the save folder in your BG2 folder somewhere safe.

Finaly, for a rookie its probably best to stick close to the standard game. Improved mods are tougher, which is fun if you know what your doing but first time through will probably be frustrating. www.teambg.com is a good place to find them though.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:57 AM   #3
Slizerio

Do you know how to get most Mods working? Throw them in the override folder.
There are two expansion-mega stuff for SoA. They are: Epic Endevours and The Darkest Day. EE is 50MB, but TDD is 300 MB. TDD adds new EVERYTHINGS. While EE only adds new fights and stuff like that.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:42 AM   #4
Throrgrim
Drow Warrior

i found u the multiple stronghold quests! go to sorcers place!
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors7.htm
I think this is it, it is under their ease of use mod.
the only downside i think u have to download the lot!

[ 11-30-2002, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Throrgrim ]