Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 05:29 AM   #41
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Ok this thread is starting to move away from the great place that it started at and starting to sink a bit lower.

Lets get back on track ok everyone?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #42
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

So you don;t give a shit?? Who cares. Stay out of the thread and leave your bittenrness in the toilet. Let poeple who can give read this and leanr how they can give if they want. There's no obigation. No guilt if people can't. If YOU CAN you give. That's all. Why infect a very nice thread withh all this bitterness attacking people with AIDS and people without money. Fact is if you can re3ad you're rich so shut up.
What? If I started a thread about, for example, an organization supporting vivisection, I should expect a lot of people who oppose vivisection to post against it.
If you start a thread supporting giving charity to Africa, don't be surprised that those who oppose giving such charity post what they think about the topic.

All my posts are strictly on topic (charity in general, charity to Africans with AIDS in particular). I used proper arguments, raised some points. I haven't spammed, flamed, nor used vulgar language. Contrary to what you state, I haven't insulted anyone, neither those who are poor, nor those who have AIDS. I expressed my opinion on this subject.

And you? It's second time in this thread that you wrote baseless accusations about me. "Stay out of the thread and leave your bittenrness in the toilet." First apathy, now bitterness? Please point out for me where in my posts I showed either.
But if that's the way you carry out a discussion/argument telling the other person to shut up, stop posting, watch cable and leave bitterness in the toilet then in the future I *will* not enter into any discussion with you. It's obviously pointless.

Quote:

Fact is if you can re3ad you're rich so shut up?
And what is this supposed to mean? If I can read I should shut up?

[ 11-17-2006, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #43
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
So you don't give a shit? Who cares.
Would you be personally offended if I put this in my signature?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 AM   #44
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

To me, it's really simple; when every child in the US can read, eat, and go into a closet and grab their coat when it's cold outside, it's probably cool to start looking elsewhere. I've seen living conditions in Kansas every bit as pathetic as what's going on everywhere else in the world. To sit in front of your PC telling me that poverty doesn't exist in the US is the basest form of denial. As I said though, don't worry about my opinion.
Just to touch on your "Rob, your richer than you know" thing; I have what I have thanks to the charity of my mom. My bills get paid because of that charity, and I'm able to post here because of it too. If she'd decided that AID's in Africa was more important than people here, I'd be on the street, or dead, by now. I guess perspective is everything. I live on 135.00 a month in groceries, because that's all the State feels I need to survive, and I do survive. Last month, however, I was beginning to wonder, when I had a substitute case worker, who, when she didn't understand the paperwork, simply closed my case, instead of calling for details. There's no way I was going to be able to eat if that happened. The point is, while you point fingers, and accuse, perhaps you should look at the details, instead of stereotypically putting me in with the "rich Americans". W/out the charity of people locally, I would have less than nothing, and as I've pointed out, I look at some people's situations and become very grateful for the things I do have. Once again, you think you know me, but all you know is what's here. There's a lot here for you to consider now. I leave my website up, not because I'm rich, but because if I have any chance at all of getting out from under my mom's skirts, at 43 years old, that's going to be it. Maybe not with what's up now, but without it, I'm able to do nothing else to help myself. Unlike some people, that pay for primetime tv spots to beg for money, I prefer to try to do something for myself.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #45
Mellagar

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mellagar:
It is a preventable disease that can be defeated through protection and common sense.
Really?

http://www.rebirth.co.za/hiv_does_not_cause_aids3.htm

~There is extensive literature describing the impact of malnutrition on the function and the structure of the immune system in people in Africa (Al-Bayati, 1999). This information clearly demonstrates that AIDS in Africa is more likely to be caused by starvation than by HIV. The functions of the immune system, especially the cellular immunity, are impaired in malnutrition cases. The severity of the impairment is dependent on the degree of malnutrition in both human and animals.~
[/QUOTE]http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/in...rssnyt&emc=rss

http://www.irp.wisc.edu/faqs/faq6.htm

To the first link, this is what I like to see. The people of their country doing something to change the conditions of their life. Granted malnutrition is a cause of AIDS, but that is something reversable through medication and proper foods, whereas HIV AIDS is NOT reversable, and unlike malnutrition, can be passed down from child to child.

To the second link, a display of poorness in parts of the USA. To compare, the poorness and low quality of life is most certainly different between the US and Africa, but ask yourself this, does poorness not give the same misery regardless of where it is? Now, do we ignore these children starving in the US because they're in the richest country in the world? What of the children in India, China, Japan, Turkey, Western and Eastern Europe? Do we give them the sideline because they're in "richer" countries? Perhaps its because these countries decided to change, and form a government. Granted not all governments are great, but its a start. Africa has leaders, with their own personnal militia, duking it out for office, and leaving the people trapped in the middle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6133686.stm

Try reading this and you'll get the idea. What Africa needs is a stable government to keep things running smoother than they have been. Why do you think the US became so big? From constantly warring with itself?
Mellagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #46
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok everyone.. BACK OFF the personal insults, implied or otherwise. Stay off the 'you said this- you did that -you are this' wagon or the whole trip is gonna be cancelled.

In clearer terms for those who need 'em- lay off the direct or indirect insulting language or tone to each other and get back on the original topic which was buying your luxury or other goods from a group that gives part of the proceeds to charity of one sort or another.

TDC asked you to get back on topic and next thing we know it's ME and YOU/ "I'm good and you stink" stuff again...

Cool off, have a brew or watch a game or play a song or get a tatoo... whatever it takes, just stop flaming and baiting and directing your comments at and about one another for a while.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #47
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

*Bows out.*
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #48
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Getting back to the essence that started this discussion...

RED's point, as I see it, is simple.

You *are* going to buy certain things on a regular basis. For your own needs, your own consumption, and so on.

If you buy them *here*, as opposed to *there*, a portion of the proceeds go to a worthy cause. You may argue about whether there are other causes more worthy, but medicine for those who can't afford it is certainly worthy.

You don't pay any more (or less) than before. Someone else in the supply chain (manufacturers, distributors, transporters, and retailers) that brought you that product has agreed to give up a bit of their profit.

In other words, you can help out others without having to do a single thing other than continue doing what you normally do.

It's a win-win-win.

You get what you need - products that you use.

The supply chain gets what it needs - products sold and profits distributed.

And the worthy cause gets what it needs - medical support.

The only ones who lose are other manufacturers and distributers who aren't willing to share their profits in this way.

I do understand the point some have made - making a profit doesn't make you bad or rotten. If you think it does, then give up your paycheck. That's right -- your paycheck represents your personal profits on the services you provide to your employer. And you don't think you make too much profit, do you?

So.... remember that profit isn't bad, and sharing your profits with others who are less fortunate is good. And by buying RED products, you can share your profits without having to sacrifice one penny's worth of your own personal pleasure and benefits.

*edit* Clarification of who said what.

[ 11-18-2006, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #49
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Wow Bungleau, you made a great post. I have to thank you for that.

Its funny how the manner/style in which we articulate a point makes a difference in what the message says.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #50
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My pleasure, Larry.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote