Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-20-2003, 08:40 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I currently use KaZaaLite for most of my P2P file sharing, but the software is constantly prompting me to upgrade to v2.0.2 I did upgrade to v2.0 when it came out, then I learned it had a lot of spyware attached to it, so I uninstalled it.

So - does anybody know if the newer version of KaZaa has the same spyware in it? Should I upgrade and then just use Adaware to eliminate the spyware....or should I just stick to KaZaaLite and not worry about it?

Let me know what you think.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

I don't know. I never upgraded my version of Kazaa Lite, and have never encountered the device asking me to do so. If you're happy with it so far, why change? Are we allowed to discuss this, by the way?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
Zero Alpha

firstly if you are going to use KaZaA in any form, at least use the latest virsion of KaZaA lite. KaZaA wont work without the spyware it installs, so your better off getting lite. secondly, there are much better alternatives for downloading /sharing files.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I don't know. I never upgraded my version of Kazaa Lite, and have never encountered the device asking me to do so. If you're happy with it so far, why change? Are we allowed to discuss this, by the way?
I don't see why we wouldn't be allowed to discuss it. After all, not all P2P files are illegal to share. Music videos (for instance) are perfectly acceptable. I remember when MTV started, but lived in an area where it wasn't available [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img] So now I go in SEARCH of all those wonderful videos I loved and miss so much.

As for the other issue, the federal court ruled yesterday that P2P file sharing IS protected under an individual's "right to privacy". It won't affect any of the lawsuits that have been made so far...but it will make it much more difficult for the music industry to file future lawsuits.

But - as I said - that's a moot point, since I'm mostly interested in the videos rather than the audio versions.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:41 PM   #5
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

How much do you share Cerek? If it's 10 GB or more I think you should consider getting DC++ instead, since it is in every way superior to Kazaa if you have a lot to share, and you definitely wont get any more problems with spyware.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:46 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
How much do you share Cerek? If it's 10 GB or more I think you should consider getting DC++ instead, since it is in every way superior to Kazaa if you have a lot to share, and you definitely wont get any more problems with spyware.
I really don't use it that much. My Shared Folder is only 1.43gb in size...and that's after sharing P2P files for over a year. Still, I appreciate the info on other software to check out. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 12-20-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 12-20-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
secondly, there are much better alternatives for downloading /sharing files.
*widens the sensitivity of the ears*

Such as..?
Old 12-20-2003, 08:37 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Anytime I upgrade my P2P programs I always run Spybot and Adaware immediately afterwards. Somethings have to be allowed, like Cydoor products, but everything else has to hit the road.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:38 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:

Such as..?
[/QUOTE]I would also be interested in learning of other P2P software.

Rataxes - where can I find DC++ for downloading?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:42 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:

Such as..?
[/QUOTE]I would also be interested in learning of other P2P software.

Rataxes - where can I find DC++ for downloading?
[/QUOTE]Here ye go:

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album