Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 10:46 AM   #31
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I guess I'm coming more from a pure economist point of view, TL. I will say this much: the economy works best when people aren't monkeying with it. However, if you want to place blame on poor economies, point the finger at the American Investing Public, who run and shriek like a gaggle of guinea hens when any company has the gall to report that its quarterly earnings may be a little bit off from their projections (which occur 50% of the time, BTW)! and are so risk-paranoid that they dump stocks if there's a rain shower that day. I'd sooner bet on the horses than trust the American Public to know what the flip it's doing in the markets.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-13-2002, 10:51 AM   #32
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Yes, tech will be back, but we've said this how many times. Me for at least 3 years - since I first noticed real brick-and-mortar businesses coming back to tech stocks and really "using" the internet to do more than prop up imaginary worth and hide complete lack of profits. When?? Sorry - that was rhetorical - It's frustrating.

But, the housing sector is a bubble that's about to burst. And looking around at record construction where I live, it's going to be one big splash in the economy.
That is what will ultimately save the tech sector...to have real companies coming in and using e-business to enhance their already established B&M enterprises rather than pull the get-rich-quick schemes of so many dot-coms during the late 90's. Economic cycles and trends again: boom, bust, slow recovery, then steady growth. Look back 150+ years to the gold rush of 1849 in California. Same thing happened...huge fortunes staked on the prospect of gold, not the reality of it. Same thing happened...boom, bust, and then a very slow recovery of the economy as the true diehards kicked in and helped establish CA.

Housing is always quirky, but it's doing well around here. Not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but real estate is the thing right now in north Texas.

-Sazerac

Old 11-13-2002, 10:55 AM   #33
MagiK

Total thumbs up to Saz's last three posts.

[ 11-13-2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-13-2002, 10:56 AM   #34
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

[quote]Originally posted by Sazerac:
Quote:
Housing is always quirky, but it's doing well around here. Not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but real estate is the thing right now in north Texas.

-Sazerac
Greenspan says it'll tank soon. Of course, he's said it for a few months. But then, he said the tech stocks were a bubble for years before they burst.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:12 AM   #35
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I think people keep forgetting that USA has a economic liberalist system.

This ultimately means that it is not the government that controls the private sector, but the private sector that controls itself.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:14 AM   #36
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
but the private sector that controls itself.
I wish it were that organized [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2002, 01:08 PM   #37
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
LOL, you and me bof'us. Unless, of course, one wishes to use Chaos Theory as an argument for development of organization. Even the weakest form of an efficient market is typified by the fact that you can't tell what the flip is going to happen from one day to the next. That is, of course, making the overbold assumption that any market is "efficient". (I think it is in the long run, but in the short run, anything can happen).

-Sazerac

Old 11-13-2002, 01:43 PM   #38
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
LOL, you and me bof'us. Unless, of course, one wishes to use Chaos Theory as an argument for development of organization. Even the weakest form of an efficient market is typified by the fact that you can't tell what the flip is going to happen from one day to the next. That is, of course, making the overbold assumption that any market is "efficient". (I think it is in the long run, but in the short run, anything can happen).

-Sazerac
[/QUOTE]Totes Dude!

Edit: errrm Sorry, been hanging out at the college too much lately [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-13-2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-13-2002, 01:46 PM   #39
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

As a matter of f act the cycles of the cotton market was one of the firt things used to prove Chaos Theory. And, TL, the 80's were the greatest economic times that I have ever lived in. Until the oil bust, which Mr. Reagan certainly didn't have anything to do with.
And, Saz, one sign of the tech industry's importance to the traditional economy is that we are buying a majority of our presents on the Web this year. No fighting traffic, wasting gas, and possibly getting killed in a wreck or mugging.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:05 PM   #40
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
And, Saz, one sign of the tech industry's importance to the traditional economy is that we are buying a majority of our presents on the Web this year. No fighting traffic, wasting gas, and possibly getting killed in a wreck or mugging.
VERY smart man here! Good thinking, Attalus. No need to motor to Dallas to go get "mauled at the malls". I haven't willingly been to a mall during the holiday shopping season since 1997, when my wife and I got separated in the middle of the Grapevine Mills Mall (which is 3/4 mile in length; how we ever found each other is a blessed miracle), after which incident we were so traumatized that we swore off malls during Christmas for good. Bloody overrated things, anyway.

-Sazerac