Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
Marathon
Elminster

Hey guys - I've had this game for a while but just got it up and running thanks to the tech tips section. I'm sure most of this has been covered previously and possibly recently, so I apologize, but I wouldn't mind getting recent opinions...

I don't have an abundance of time for gaming, so I'll probably make a party and stick with it. Any favorite races/racial traits to have in the party? I have a M and F Human warrior, gnobbit thief (over Ratling, but gold digger sounds promising), Whiska warrior, Elephant (??) mage and dwarf cleric.

I didn't rerole characters, but saw a post about getting what seemed an insane amount of points to distribute. Is this common and deemed neccessary?

I've played about a half hour/ hour so far, gotten killed on the windmill, and couldn't open the chest. Any trick to it other than equiping the lockpicks for my thief? I assume I am too lowly to get in yet. Also, first quests? I can't seem to get East of Valeia to go to the Graveyard crypt. Should I go find the Toad people?

Is the combat really turn based? I can't truly tell - it seems sort of real time turn based...and is there a pause button? I was checking my map when I got attacked and almost killed by a lowly troll.

Sorry for the basic questions, but the last thing I want to do is consult a walkthrough/FAQ. My curiousity tends to get the better of me when I do.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Marathon. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Nice to have you with us. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Are you saying that you cannot leave Valeia by the east gate? If that is the case then you have encountered a standard bug. (Consult with the tech tips).

During the course of the game the difference between the races will be equalled fast - although elves will always have a slight advantage due to their "quick learner" trait.

As to re-rolling the character points there was a good thread here recently. I am sure others (Radek? ) can tell you more.

By spending points on your thief's lockpicking skill he or she will fast become able to open all the chests.

Combat IS turn based. By spending points on various skills and casting certain spells on your characters they will become much quicker than the opponents allowing them to strike multiple times before the opponents can deliver their blows.

[ 03-12-2005, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 03-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to this side of the boards, Marathon [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] May the Gael Serran be safer, now that you're there.

Lessee... you can go around Valeia to the north to get to the other side. Just leave the town gates and keep your hand (mentally) on the right-hand set of landscaping.

Races... There's no right or wrong answer. Everything balances out in the end, although the elven quick-learner trait does make quite a bit of difference in levelling up.

Point rolls... I think Radek said anything over 80 is good. Or maybe 75. It doesn't matter, really; after ten levels, you'll be nicely promoted [img]smile.gif[/img]

Skills... every character should apply their initial points to a primary skill. For thieves, it's lockpicking. Fighters, sword. Mages and clerics, spells. Once you're at a decent level (4-5 for fighter/rogue, 7 for mage, depends for cleric), you can look at other skills.

And while combat is turn-based, time doesn't stop when you're looking at maps and other screens. Most of the screens give you a small window so you can see what's going on. It's part of the joy of life in the Gael Serran... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Marathon!!!

This is a friendly board and we like newbie questions!

You've been given some good advice.

Your party sounds really interesting. This game is flexible enough that you can put together just about any combination and have it work. To make gaming "easier" leaning a tad towards more humans might be a bit of help but it isn't going to be that huge a difference. You will find that equipment for your Oomphaz is harder to find but their pluses can make that worth while too.

I'm just going to throw this idea out - One option that you do have if you are primarily playing this game for fun would be to use the character editor and bump your character stats slightly. This would save you the time of rerolling which I found not worth the time. Doing this can reduce part of the real fun of playing games such as W&W - but if your time is limited and the point is to "have fun" - why not? You might also be able to bump your Thief's lockpicking ability.

SAVE SAVE SAVE - it only takes a short time to save your game! Save in several different slots. I always have one save for the town, one for outside a dungeon, one for inside the dungeon. Sometimes I'll even do another for half way through a dungeon. I won't write over a save until I know I've done things right and won't need that older save again. Saving avoids headaches!

Are you playing the patched or unpatched game??

Do keep us posted on how your game is going!! If you need additional help, you'll find it here!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
Marathon
Elminster

Thanks for the feedback - so far this is a great game. I realized I had the file compression problem and just got that fixed, so I have a couple of new quests, found the wizard's guild and have an easy exit to the graveyard. In the crypt right now and looking forward to a great adventure.

What difference does the patch make? I am unpatched currently.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:56 AM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Bungleau sums up the effects of the patch in this post.

Personally I would not recommend the patch if your game is not crashing too much. It destroys much of the good exploitable bugs. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

1. Creating characters. The number of points to distribute does not matter. If you roll a bad stats then even 18 points need not improve it. If you want to know how good (bad) the roll is then add all rolled stats together and add the ponts to distribute. If you get below 70 then the roll is bad. If you get 75 or more then the roll is acceptable. If you get above 80 then the roll is really good.
My maximum is 89 currently [img]smile.gif[/img] Rolls over 90 have been already reported. Do not wait for these high rolls, they are possible but extremely rare.

Rolling good rolls isn't neccessary. A few levels up and all "holes" in your stats will be fixed. It's only a matter of time, a character with bad roll will suffer from the bad stats longer than a character with good roll. Also, a character with bad roll will be able to change role later than the character with a good roll. But, in the end, both characters will do equally well.

2. Chests. You need Lockpicking 4 for opening any chest (lock) in Valeia region. You need Lockpicking 7 for opening any chest in Ishad N'Ha region. You will need Lockpicking at least 10 in Brimloch Roon. Starting from Ishad N'Ha, you will be able to train lockpicking in a guild (Pawn shop, guild level 2).