Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2002, 06:08 PM   #11
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
I dont think that Ben thinked about what he do when he be member here on IW so he piked a name, "i am off" tommorow anyway maby he thinked that but then he begin to like this forum and he was more and more acepted here as a greate GIRL then why should he change that? but after some thots he release that he can NEVER meet you and me in RL so it is better to tell everyone on the forume about his sex and let it go whit that and hope for the best and Ben have done the right thing to do that so i dont think this is a RPG in any how!

And please can we let this go behind us NOW?? I think that Ben should be giving peace from this and let him contiuning his great work here on IW with his movie prewievs and so on and not "RIP" up to this every day here?

Eivind
Heya Eivind, looks like I touched a nerve there, if so, my apologies. I'm not castigating Ben for anything, and this thread really doesn't have to do with him in particular, but about the whole idea of gender swapping on the web, or in a rpg or crpg.

Old 07-18-2002, 10:10 PM   #12
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I generally play a Female in RPGs just to spice the party up. I am a Female Paladin that is a Half-Orc (don't ask) with a CHR of 19. My DM is not very strict on some guidelines ....

Anyways, I think it makes the playing more versital and I have a lot of fun with it. Doesn't mean that I am living out my fantasy of being a chick, just that it is fun. And in a DnD world, it doesn't really matter. Isn't it just like playing a Drow Elf ie Black Person? (it was a VERY evil party) Doesn't mean that I was living out my fantasy of being Black, just that it was fun for the party.

On the point of doing it online...I could see how someone could find amusement in it. Seems too much like lying for my taste. As long as you're not hurting anyone, or being directly misrepresentating towards some secret goal, then I say have fun. Different Strokes for different folks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just my 2gps.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 07-19-2002, 12:01 AM   #13
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Well, for action-type games (PS2 games, or whatever), I often play the female character because while they are usually weaker than the males, they make up for it in speed. I prefer player a fast, slightly weak character to a slow but strong one.
In PnP and more recently in NWN, I have played female characters. In CRPGs, part of my decision is based on the sexy characters... [img]smile.gif[/img] It's cool to have a good-looking character in the game.
In PnP I have played a female when I want to explore issues like racism/ sexism. I'd play a female character who can kick any guy's butt in order to play against some stereotypes.
I ran a 7 year Vampire chronicle and the best character in the game was played by my friend Jake. He played an ancient Estonian Brujah named Tatyanna. She was the best-developed, most fun character I've ever had in a game I've run.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:44 AM   #14
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
Well, for action-type games (PS2 games, or whatever), I often play the female character because while they are usually weaker than the males, they make up for it in speed. I prefer player a fast, slightly weak character to a slow but strong one.
I've never understood that mindframe where female characters are weaker but faster. In practically all the martial arts, military and streetfighting situations I've beheld males have predominantly been both stronger AND faster than females (as another example the male world record for running is substantially tighter than the female). I guess it's just political correctness seeping into computer games right? Strange though, as both traditionally and contemporarily males have by and large made vastly superior fighters to females. Call it cheuvanistic (sp?) if you want, but there it is.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:59 AM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
I've never understood that mindframe where female characters are weaker but faster. In practically all the martial arts, military and streetfighting situations I've beheld males have predominantly been both stronger AND faster than females (as another example the male world record for running is substantially tighter than the female). I guess it's just political correctness seeping into computer games right? Strange though, as both traditionally and contemporarily males have by and large made vastly superior fighters to females. Call it cheuvanistic (sp?) if you want, but there it is.[/QUOTE]Political correctness? Either that or allowing the player to play whatever gender he/she wants without being punished for it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 01:05 AM   #16
DeSoya
Manshoon

Quote:
quote:
I've never understood that mindframe where female characters are weaker but faster. In practically all the martial arts, military and streetfighting situations I've beheld males have predominantly been both stronger AND faster than females (as another example the male world record for running is substantially tighter than the female). I guess it's just political correctness seeping into computer games right? Strange though, as both traditionally and contemporarily males have by and large made vastly superior fighters to females. Call it cheuvanistic (sp?) if you want, but there it is.[/QUOTE]For video games it's about having a wide range of characters. Think of who designs the games. Cute female (well cute for pixels or sprites or whatever ) characters are a huge plus when designing or playing a game. Fast characters are a must, especially in fighting games, and no one who's designing these games (acne-ed gamer geek programmers ) wants to see a butch, muscley woman. So the idea of petite little fast people has become a standard. At least that's my theory. [img]smile.gif[/img]
As for RL it's musculoskeletal. Women, pound for pound, won't really be as strong as a comperable male.
In gaming I usually play male characters. It's not so much that I feel threatened or something by playing a female, it's that when I do play a female character it's very flat. I don't like what many guys do while playing PnP females which is either be very promiscuous (which says alot about the state of social lives ) or very ditzy... Or someother stereotype which they feel typifies women.... In trying to walk the fine line between stereotyping and the female version of emasculation (turning the girl into a guy) my character becomes devoid of all interest. Sooo... I play guys.

DeSoya
Old 07-19-2002, 01:21 AM   #17
lroyo

I guess I have something to add to this, as you all know that I was playing a female Kensai to start with. I always play females in games whenever I can! I really can’t say exactly why this is, but I can tell you that I don’t have any weird fantasies about being a girl or anything like that!

If I’m going to be completely honest, I find a woman with a sword or a gun, that is both in command of her destiny, and a powerful being in her own right, interesting and quite frankly…really sexy! Maybe I played too much Tomb Raider or something, but if you give me the choice between creating a big musclebound, dumb as rocks, barbarian type man (the male fantasy cliché), or a strong, athletic and sexy woman (the female fantasy cliché), I’ll pick the woman any day.

Think about it...a woman walks into a room…unsheathes her sword…and begins to whoop ass over all and sundry, until she stands alone amongst a pile of bleeding corpses. To have a chance to be that woman, that’s real escapism!

But maybe that’s just me!

Old 07-19-2002, 02:46 AM   #18
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
quote:
I've never understood that mindframe where female characters are weaker but faster. In practically all the martial arts, military and streetfighting situations I've beheld males have predominantly been both stronger AND faster than females (as another example the male world record for running is substantially tighter than the female). I guess it's just political correctness seeping into computer games right? Strange though, as both traditionally and contemporarily males have by and large made vastly superior fighters to females. Call it cheuvanistic (sp?) if you want, but there it is.[/QUOTE]Political correctness? Either that or allowing the player to play whatever gender he/she wants without being punished for it [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]But it's not punishment. Women really are the physically weaker sex. S'just the way the cookie crumbles. But I suppose these ARE fantasy games which people play to escape the constrictions of everyday life. Yeah, yeah. Ok then [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 03:17 AM   #19
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

So you buy in to Dwarfs being tougher then a 6 foot man and Dragons roaming the world but not fast females? Would you rather they give female characters higher intelligence and wisdom? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-19-2002, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: caleb ]
Old 07-19-2002, 04:57 AM   #20
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Nah a better barter skill +5 shopping. J/K
Seriously tho I often play females because they often offer a more balanced charcter and often games have female specific items and quests while I have yet to see too many for the males.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook