Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2001, 12:40 PM   #1
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

I've been doing a lot of interesting reading on life lately. Perhaps it's my mid-life crisis and I'm looking for ways to improve myself and my perceptions, I don't know. Anyway, there are a few things I've read in the last few days that really 'spoke' to me and that I want to share.

Comments or additions are welcome from anyone. Hopefully these won't sound 'trite' to you all. But my biggest hope is that you will share what speaks to you!

-------------------------- Acceptance -----------------------------
The need for acceptance is number one. We want to feel valued, desired, and welcomed. We want to feel people seek us out not because we had to earn their attention, but just because of who we are.

-------------------------- Hugs -----------------------------------
A hug can ground you. Pull you back from the edge. Or out of your head. Into a circle of arms and the sturdy comfort of the present.

Language is a skin, and so is skin a language. It speaks when words fail us and communicates to parts of ourselves that are beyond the reach of words. The simple fact is that we are, first and foremost, mammals. We thrive on touch.

A hug is an occasion of triumph, not tragedy. It's message is, "You're one of us! You're home."

--------------------------- Life --------------------------
Life's greatest lesson is to do your best, enjoy the journey, and then release all attachment to what is to come. Let it be. And be comfortable with whatever is.

That last one, life, is something I want to tattoo on my arm so I can be reminded of it every minute of every day!

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Happy Member of Fast Fourward.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:47 PM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I try to hug five people a day. I used to go for ten, but it is hard in a business environment . . . giving hugs helps their lives out as well as your own.

Try to shock two people a day. Not electronically, verbally. If you can make someone laugh and get that disbelieving stare, you have made your day more fun and lightened their day considerable.

Don't pet a burning dog.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
Old 05-04-2001, 01:48 PM   #3
Moni

--------------------------TIME---------------------------

Live Every Minute As If It Is Your Last...It Just Could Be! ~Me

I discovered this recovering from a near fatal auto accident and I tell you what, when you want to be sure you live happily it WORKS!

Moni

Old 05-04-2001, 02:36 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Life is a series of events that only seem important at the time.

Remember this! Never make a snap judgement on the basis of a spurious occurrence. It can save your life.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:10 PM   #5
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Regarding Bad Habits:
Any unconscious, compulsive ritual is a problem. But specific activities - smoking, drinking, taking drugs, eating sweets, or asking silly questions - are both bad and good; every action has it's price, and it's pleasures. Recognizing both sides you become realistic and responsible for your actions. And only then can you make the free and conscious choice - to do or not to do.

There is a saying: "When you sit, sit; when you stand, stand, whatever you do, don't wobble." Once you make your choice, do it with all your spirit. Don't be like the preacher who thought about praying while making love to his wife, and thought about making love to his wife while praying.

It is better to make a mistake with the full force of your being than to timidly avoid mistakes with a trembling spirit. Responsibility means recognizing both pleasure and price, action and consequences, then making a choice.

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Happy Member of Fast Fourward.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 08:31 PM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

"You never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn't mean a thing. That's for the fans. You've got to win the war with the man in front of you. You've got to get your man."

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."

-Vince Lombardi

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Phil

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 08:39 PM   #7
Charean
Hathor

The highest reward for man's toil is Not what he gets for it -
but what he becomes by it.

Remember that your Character is your Destiny.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
The secret is knowing the rules so you can bend/break them selectively!!!
Aquisition master of the Finest of Humours - and the Killer Joke
Musketeer of Fast Fourward
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....
Muse and Eternal Love of KDogRex
Old 05-04-2001, 08:42 PM   #8
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Dont leave a forum when you get depressed!!!

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-04-2001, 08:42 PM   #9
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Best lessons I ever learned:

You can only depend on yourself.
If it needs doing, do it.
Be helpful.
Be kind.
Smile at people.
Notice beauty.

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Old 05-04-2001, 08:54 PM   #10
Tancred
White Dragon

Trust in those around you, have faith in yourself, believe in what you are doing and never walk away unless no-one loses by it - and you can never fail.

Tancred