Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-03-2001, 09:07 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

I haven't gotten past Ch2 (or was it Ch3?) yet, but I'm assuming that I can rescue Imoen. If I take her in my party, are her thief skills going to be good enough for the game, or would I be better off taking another thief? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:28 AM   #2
hagimihale
Manshoon

This is a question I'm also considering...

Imoen dualed to mage as a 7th level thief. IMHO that’s not high enough to serve as your primary thief. I am currently using Jan, and at 11th level he finds/disarms almost every trap out there. That's probably the main reason to have a thief (you can always use a knock spell for locked doors/chests).

If your main character has thieving abilities, Imoen probably can suffice, tho I would have your character maximize the disarm traps ability. Also, if you are NOT a mage, you might want to have Imoen anyway as another spellcaster, given that she can reach high levels.

If forced to choose between Imoen and Jan as your primary thief, I think Jan is the better bet.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:37 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

She is good enough in the game... although not as good as Jan nor Yoshimo. Her other thief skills suck. All she has are detect traps and lock picking... she will take you to the end no prob...

Well... Nalia won't.. EVER! Unless you overdose her with potions of master thievery....

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Old 10-03-2001, 09:54 AM   #4
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Possible Spoiler

If you get the ring of lockpicks from the thieves guild,
and the ring of danger sense (to detect/remove traps)
from the planar sphere, the helps Imoen a lot!!
Old 10-03-2001, 10:23 AM   #5
Byronas

There are also some Gauntles of Pick Pocketing (or something like that) which gives you +20 at your pick pocket skills.

------------------

Old 10-03-2001, 10:25 AM   #6
Maltok

Imoen is definately the best solution to your thieving needs. Nalia is totally bogus! I beat it with a party as follows: Fighter (Two Weapon Style, I suggest Long Sword Grand Mastery), Anomen (21st level!), Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira and Keldorn. I did not use any cheats, only online walkthroughs, tips etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Maltok (edited 10-03-2001).]

Old 10-03-2001, 11:26 AM   #7
StarVid
Elminster

for those that used just imoen, did you have to use potions a lot. I might go with Jan, but I like Imoen better. I'd rather have an extra full mage then a half mage (that annoys me). I'd consider dualing a thief myself, but I'm playing a dual cleric/mage (to have a half cleric to support Vic/Anomen)...thanks.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:53 AM   #8
Doxin1
Dungeon Master

I like Yoshimo better than Imoen. But don't we lose him somewhere in the game?
BTW, I'm only in CH.2.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:38 PM   #9
Bhaalthazar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've played nearly the whole game with Imoen as my only thief. The party was:

Me (elven Fighter/Mage)
Yoshimo (traded for Imoen)
Jahera
Aerie
I did the Thieve's Guild and then went right into Chapter 3 (chose the Vampire's side) to get Imoen back ASAP. Chapters 3 & 4 were a bit tough due to the very limited equipment we'd gathered, but doable, and for all further quests I had the envyable items found in Spellhold, and more importantly Imoen was not too low level since she took part in nearly every important quest.

(NOTE: if you do things this way make SURE you have someone who can put a Quarterstaff to good use! You need to kill some monsters which need +3 or better weapons to hit and the only +3 weapon I got was a +3 Quarterstaff in Spellhold itself. Luckily for me both Jahera and my Fighter/Mage could. Alternately get "Enchanted Weapon" spell and use it!)

Imoen doesn't have the personality of Jan (in fact, it's more like the personality of a blow-up doll) but she's thief enough to do all the doors & traps in Shadows of Amn.

---Bhaalthazar
Old 10-03-2001, 03:51 PM   #10
StarVid
Elminster

that's disappointing, considering her plot significance that I accidently picked up from some spoilers, you'd expect that she would have a better personality...